“Perfection!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Liss B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Perfection!”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This was just lovely!! Comfiest bed ever, lovely clean room and bathroom with lots of thoughtful touches .. a cafetiere and real coffee being just one!! Warm as toast on a very cold weekend, but with heating you can control yourself. Everything was good quality and tasteful .. it felt like a home from home.

The pub itself, which is a few steps away across the yard, is one of the nicest ever with a very welcoming atmosphere, so cosy with a massive log fire in an inglenook with comfy sofas in front. The food is great, with a really good choice for vegetarians.

My cooked breakfast was perfect both mornings. The staff are helpful and friendly. I really cannot fault the place!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

What more can I say, I have not been to this lovely pub for years and when I do return I am greated by the same lovely people as when I left 6 or 7 years ago.

Sarah served us our drinks and we had a great waitress, who you can tell was trained to serve and clear tables professionally! You're lucky to that kind of service in some London Michelins, fact!

Thanks Liss for keeping a great pub alive! Don't ruin it Council!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Unseen_Prawn
Eastleigh
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We spent 1 night here, we had a lovely time. The staff are lovely and the customer service is really very good. Will come back. We had a warm welcome when we arrived the landlord was very helpful. Our room was very clean and tidy.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2012

To begin, I booked my stay with a booking company that had communication troubles, to say the least. After three separate conversations with the booking company (two before the trip and one during the trip) and five or so emails with the Jolly Drover I chose to deal directly with the Jolly Drover's Innkeeper. He was very patient during all of the confusion and reassuring that he would indeed have our room available upon our arrival. (In the middle of our trip the booking company lead me to believe different.) When my friend and her daughter and myself arrived we were a bit frazzled and tardy because of some car troubles. We were met with warm smiles, a note including contact information of friends who were concerned because of our tardiness and handed the bar phone for use to call our concerned friends. We were guided to our room which contained the best mattresses and shower head of our two week stay in England. The room was clean, the bathroom was spacious and the shower was lovely!! Our friends arrived to pick us up and the barmaid let us know of their arrival. After spending a lovely time at our friends and a great nights sleep at the inn we enjoyed a delicious breakfast complete with homemade jams. The inn is an easy 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive away from London Heathrow. I cannot say enough good about this place. When frazzled, one needs a bit of care, which is what we received at the Jolly Drover. When we are in this area we will stay here again, and longer!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taylortpjl
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

A very quiet location, we found the room to be a bit on the small side but very clean and modern. It was comfortable and warm. . The staff and owner were very accommodating. The food was excellent, both dinner and breakfast. The price was also, very reasonable, The only thing that would help is a sign to say go round back for the bell if you arrive when pub is closed.

2 Thank caroline-Pansy
uk
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Myself and my husband found this gem on our way to Southampton..we had not pre-booked but as soon as we walked in the helpful staff showed us the available room in an annex. The room was clean quiet and very comfortable with a nice ensuite bathroom. We ate in the bar/restaurant where again the staff were brilliant, such a nice change from the usual miserable faces in some hotels we have stayed in...In the morning ( after a good nights sleep ) it was into the bar area for breakfast, great choice and freshly cooked and served by the owner...with a happy smile...The owners and the staff make this a place you want to come back to..and we will definately be back..If you are considering staying in this area, look no further you will not be disappointed..

Bangkok
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My wife and I spent one night at the Jolly Drover at Liss, while en route to Heathrow airport (80 miles away) for our flight home to Oz..After a phone call to check out the facilities, as my wife has limited mobility, I made the reservation. This was done with a degreee of trepidation because of previous experience with some rustic English hotels, with plumbing facilities as old as the building and showering, if available, a hazardous episode, to be performed while balancing precariously in a slippery bathtub.

In the event it turned out to be a serendipitous choice. While the hotel was “Olde worlde”, the seperate accommodation block had easy access, a slight ramp with no steps, and our room (no. 2) was spacious enough and airy. An en-suite, modern, well equipped bathroom with seperate shower was a welcome sight. The hot water service proved to be more than adequate. A unusual feature was a wall-attached ironing board and iron, probably welcomed by longer stay guests and those on a temporary working assignment in the area. A wall-mounted heater was not needed in July. My only caution would be that there was no apparent cooling facilities and perhaps the room could be a bit stuffy in hot weather. Maybe fans are available, I didn’t ask.

We had dinner and breakfast over in the pub, a fairly typical UK rural pub with a genteel shabbiness that gives them a pleasing ambience. Both the bar area and adjoing dining room seem well favoured by the locals. For dinner there was quite extensive blackboard menu and we has a substantail and more than satisfactory dinner with beer and wine (by the glass) for GBP 32 all up.. Our accommodation cost was GBP 80, including breakfast. The breakfast was standard British, juice, cereals, toast and cooked to order eggs with the usual bacon, sausage and baked beans.side dishes available

The staff were not only very friendly but also efficient and attentive. My request for a late checkout until noon (normally 10am) was readily granted.

All in all we had a pleasing overnight stay and I have no hesitation in recommending it to travellers.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liss
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel
Hawkley Inn
Hawkley Inn
#1 of 5 in Liss

Been to The Jolly Drover? Share your experiences!