The Jolly Drover
The Trooper Inn(Froxfield)
Langrish House(Petersfield)
The Angel Inn(Midhurst)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubb btraditional sunday lunchcooked to perfectionfood chosenconverted barnquality ingredientsstay again when in the areaattending a wedding nearbystaff were friendly helpfulcomplimentary teapudsmashtwo night staypiping hottrouser pressa lovely place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for one night when attending the evening party of a wedding at the Tithe Barn. So glad we stayed here rather than anonymous chain hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home, including recommending we turned on the heating before going out so the room would be wam when we got back. Decided to eat at the pub before heading to the wedding and the bar staff put through our food as an express order so that we could still get to the wedding nice and early. Full english breakfast in the morning was delicious, especially the sausages and the home made stawberry jam was also lovely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Many thanks for the review. Always useful to maintain our staff morale.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for one night with two other work colleagues whilst working in Liphook and was very pleased. Usually stay at Premier Inn but the nearest was a 13 mile round trip and their rates on this night for the rooms was £145.00 room only. The Jolly Drover was only 3 miles away plus breakfast was included for total of £160.00 and whilst the Inns are good this place had good reviews and had character whereas Premier Inns are all the same. Booking and checking in process were no problem all done by Emma who also worked on the bar and was very cheerful and chatty with customers during the evening and particularly knowledgeable on matters of 'marmite recipes on toast !!!.
As I am a lover of real ales I was able to enjoy a few pints of well kept and served ale in front of the open fire in the bar. All the staff were pleasant and whilst we didn't have a meal the menu and food being served looked very nice and the menu very enticing.
Breakfast in the morning was cooked and served by the cheerful Lorna and was excellent. Choice of fruit juices, cereals and preserves (all local made) and a fabulous full cooked English breakfast ( again all local produce) which set us up for the day.

The rooms were excellent with either a wet room or double shower facility, piping hot water, flat screen TV and bottled water, tea and coffee included in the rooms which were warm and great comfortable beds with dressing table and wardrobe space if required.
Well recommended and would stay here again no problem if in the area. Great to see privately run hotel/pub restaurants that do it well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for you very detailed review. Marmite with iceberg letuice is my favourite! You are correct about the preserves being made locally, very locally, in our kitchen as it happens!
Emma hopes you stay again because she said she enjoyed your company.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

If I stayed closer, I'd never be away from the place!

Three of us were working in Petersfield, and like another reviewer, had absolutely no wish to stay in one of the ubiquitous plastic 'chain' hotels.

What a delight it turned out to be. From arrival right through to our departure, everything was spot-on. The food was superb, with a very comprehensive and tempting menu. This is many establishments downfalls, in that they have huge menus, and struggle to follow through with quality on the table. Not here! The quality shone through. There was an excellent choice of beers, (all cellared beautifully), a good affordable wine list with plenty of choice for every taste. Breakfast was lovely, but I could have killed some yoghurt or fruit. I admit I didn't ask if there was any, and I'm sure some would have appeared by magic had I done so, but where would I have put it after the great full English?

My room was spotless, and cosy (once I turned the heating on), and the shower was one of the best I have come across in years. Divine bed, with an amazing duvet... I could just go on and on.

I ought to move home nearer, I suppose, but that's perhaps a little hasty...... I'll settle on staying whenever I'm nearby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

My thanks to you for such a detailed excellent review. I am sorry you didn't request yoghurt or fresh fruit as we did have those products in stock. As a 'top contributor' your views are held with high esteem,so again I offer my thanks. I look very much to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed at The Jolly Drover on 12/11/2013 while on business in the area. The check in was great, room very clean and maintained to a very good standard.

The pub is a quirky little place with a fantastic menu, the food was swerved quickly and was all very tasty. Barry & Anne's breakfast service was perfect. I also enjoyed the way they go about their business, polite, professional and fun. The waitress that served me in the evening was brilliant.

As someone who stays away on business 2-3 nights per week I usually stay in chain hotels like the hilton or novotel but decided to take a risk as I see it and book somewhere smaller. Very glad I did and I will 100% return if I am in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Sir, please accept my gratitude for your super review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our way of business. It is easy to train staff and management, however impossible to give them a personality and good looks of which they have in abundance. I do hope you visit the area again soonest.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had only 4 days in UK. Heathrow -Liss-Heathrow. Most comfortable room, a FABULOUS shower, (after 3 weeks of awful showers in Ireland) and excellent, plentiful food. I enjoyed mingling with the locals who came to eat and socialise in the old pub atmosphere. I found the staff friendly and helpful in all matters especially local know how. Host Barry even drove me to the railway station for my return journey.
I was in Liss on a family matter and the Jolly Drover was a congenial and supportive backdrop for a most successful visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Many thanks Kate for the lovely words. It was a pleasure meeting you and a joy taking you to the train station,its my new part time job, don't you know! Your generous gratuity was very well received by my team. Thank you.