“One of the most enjoyable and friendly places I've stayed with work”
Review of The Jolly Drover

The Jolly Drover
Ranked #3 of 5 Liss B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“One of the most enjoyable and friendly places I've stayed with work”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

First of all I would like to thank Barry and all his staff for great few days . The food and beer was excellent. Me and my colleague were made feel like friends from the minute we walked in through the door. We even got invited to play the legendary game of spoof on the Sunday. Hopefully will be back again to try and win a couple of games.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
It was a great pleasure meeting you both. Thank you for the review. My 'Locals' were very pleased that you were rubbish at Spoof!!! Can't wait to see you again. Roll on your next visit. Keep well.
Kindest regards Barry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booking was straightforward. Our request to check-in early (we had to attend a family having flown seven hours overnight into Heathrow) was granted with grace and we were able to freshen up before heading straight out. The service was friendly and welcoming. Accommodation was comfortable, clean and had everything we needed e.g ironing board, kettle etc. Food was excellent and a special mention must go to the breakfast which was a feast in itself! We hosted a family get-together in the pub one evening and everyone's tastes were accommodated. Although this is a pub it has a pleasant community feel.

Room Tip: If you have kids go for rooms one and two which have their own separate entrance so you'll all f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I thank you for making the effort to submit a review. I am pleased the team could accommodate your early arrival. Its great for the staff morale when they see their efforts are so appreciated.
Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I spent the May Bank Holiday weekend at the Jolly Drover with my two grown-up daughters as we were attending a family wedding in the area. Our rooms were clean, comfortable, well decorated and spacious. The furniture, fixtures and fittings were of a very high standard and the bed was extremely comfortable (I've never had such a good night's sleep). In addition to all this there was also a luxury en suite shower room (double shower with large head), total peace and quiet and a sumptuous breakfast! The food from the restaurant was excellent and very reasonably priced and the staff were warm, friendly, courteous and highly efficient.
We look forward to returning very soon and would highly recommend the Jolly Drover to other prospective customers. Many thanks for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Madeleine B
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Many thanks for your smashing review. You have covered all bases of our business to which I offer you extended thanks. A great moral booster for my team!!!
Kindest ones,
Manchester
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Thank you to the team at the Jolly Drover for making a difference. We didn't know we had left a ring in the room. Phoned us to tell us. Brilliant. Breakfast awesome. Sharps Doombar on tap. Superb stay lovely rooms lovely people

• Stayed March 2014
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your informative review. I have checked the heater in the bedroom and have found that the half heat / full heat setting to be faulty. This problem has been rectified and now the room does not resemble a sauna!
Thanks once again. Regards Barry.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for one night when attending the evening party of a wedding at the Tithe Barn. So glad we stayed here rather than anonymous chain hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home, including recommending we turned on the heating before going out so the room would be wam when we got back. Decided to eat at the pub before heading to the wedding and the bar staff put through our food as an express order so that we could still get to the wedding nice and early. Full english breakfast in the morning was delicious, especially the sausages and the home made stawberry jam was also lovely.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Many thanks for the review. Always useful to maintain our staff morale.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for one night with two other work colleagues whilst working in Liphook and was very pleased. Usually stay at Premier Inn but the nearest was a 13 mile round trip and their rates on this night for the rooms was £145.00 room only. The Jolly Drover was only 3 miles away plus breakfast was included for total of £160.00 and whilst the Inns are good this place had good reviews and had character whereas Premier Inns are all the same. Booking and checking in process were no problem all done by Emma who also worked on the bar and was very cheerful and chatty with customers during the evening and particularly knowledgeable on matters of 'marmite recipes on toast !!!.
As I am a lover of real ales I was able to enjoy a few pints of well kept and served ale in front of the open fire in the bar. All the staff were pleasant and whilst we didn't have a meal the menu and food being served looked very nice and the menu very enticing.
Breakfast in the morning was cooked and served by the cheerful Lorna and was excellent. Choice of fruit juices, cereals and preserves (all local made) and a fabulous full cooked English breakfast ( again all local produce) which set us up for the day.

The rooms were excellent with either a wet room or double shower facility, piping hot water, flat screen TV and bottled water, tea and coffee included in the rooms which were warm and great comfortable beds with dressing table and wardrobe space if required.
Well recommended and would stay here again no problem if in the area. Great to see privately run hotel/pub restaurants that do it well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for you very detailed review. Marmite with iceberg letuice is my favourite! You are correct about the preserves being made locally, very locally, in our kitchen as it happens!
Emma hopes you stay again because she said she enjoyed your company.
North Devon, UK
Reviewed 12 December 2013

If I stayed closer, I'd never be away from the place!

Three of us were working in Petersfield, and like another reviewer, had absolutely no wish to stay in one of the ubiquitous plastic 'chain' hotels.

What a delight it turned out to be. From arrival right through to our departure, everything was spot-on. The food was superb, with a very comprehensive and tempting menu. This is many establishments downfalls, in that they have huge menus, and struggle to follow through with quality on the table. Not here! The quality shone through. There was an excellent choice of beers, (all cellared beautifully), a good affordable wine list with plenty of choice for every taste. Breakfast was lovely, but I could have killed some yoghurt or fruit. I admit I didn't ask if there was any, and I'm sure some would have appeared by magic had I done so, but where would I have put it after the great full English?

My room was spotless, and cosy (once I turned the heating on), and the shower was one of the best I have come across in years. Divine bed, with an amazing duvet... I could just go on and on.

I ought to move home nearer, I suppose, but that's perhaps a little hasty...... I'll settle on staying whenever I'm nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
My thanks to you for such a detailed excellent review. I am sorry you didn't request yoghurt or fresh fruit as we did have those products in stock. As a 'top contributor' your views are held with high esteem,so again I offer my thanks. I look very much to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liss
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
#1 of 1 in Froxfield
Premier Inn Petersfield
Premier Inn Petersfield
#2 of 3 in Petersfield

Been to The Jolly Drover? Share your experiences!