“Hurrah for the Hawkley”

Ranked #1 of 5 Liss B&B and Inns
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Hurrah for the Hawkley”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We last visited the Hawkley many years ago, when it was under different ownership, but the present owner has managed to provide accommodation and an enhanced dining experience without compromising its character. We received a warm welcome on our arrival for a two night stay, and were delighted to see the moose head still presiding over the fireplace and a fine array of real ales and ciders on offer in the bar.

We were shown to our room which was tastefully furnished and decorated (very Farrow & Ball), with a luxuriously comfortable bed. The bathroom had quality fixtures and fittings including one of the largest baths I've seen for a long time, while plenty of toiletries and large fluffy towels completed the bathing experience. Unusually for a pub bed & breakfast, the hospitality tray included a coffee filter machine with fresh ground coffee, and to my husband's delight, a decanter containing a snifter of whiskey.

We ate twice at the pub, on both occasions with friends and we all agreed that the food was imaginative without being pretentious, hearty and flavourful, what I would call 'real food'. I only wish I had been able to sample more from the menu. Breakfast was very good too, served with good humour by the chefs themselves.

The pub has bags of character (don't mention the carpet!), a knowledgeable and genial host, and staff who clearly enjoy working there, which makes for a good atmosphere. Cardvarnish will undoubtedly return.

Room Tip: Room no. 4 (Hambledon) has a splendid bed and a bath big enough for two. Views over the garden and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cardvarnish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hampshire
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We arrived to a warm welcome from the bar staff made up as woodland animals.We were served by a very friendly squirrel who poured our drinks and showed us to our table.The pub boasts a good selection of beers and ciders .From an interesting menu we had a varied selection of starters,the knickerbocker seafood salad was delicious,the beetroot soup very good and the lamb soup superb....for main course most of us chose the roast beef.This was beautifully cooked with a big dish of vegetables.I had the lamb with roasted meditteranean veg and my daughter the tagliatelli.
We all finished off with a dessert which were marvellous.We'll be back for sure.Thanks.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bugsy1955
london
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We spent one night at this inn booked the day before arrival. We would have stayed longer but it was fully booked. I can not praise the experience enough. It was the little touches that made it so special.

We are a family of 4 with a 7&9 year old. We arrived an hour early and were shown to our rooms by a lovely and friendly gentleman. The rooms are gorgeous. So tasteful. The beds are comfy and feel luxurious. The room came complete with a lovely decanter with whiskey and coffee maker.

We stayed in the suite called Goodwood. You could hear the pub noise whilst it was open but it was not loud and I actually fell asleep after a delicious meal at the inn at 9.30pm.

Whilst here the children were made a fuss of and they loved it. They found them games and books and even bought a flapjack out for my daughter when they heard it was her birthday next week.

Lovely time and I want to go back!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Dushkas
ashford in kent
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked this on line after seeing the reviews on TA. I wanted something a bit special for a rare childfree weekend. I made the booking by telephone with the land lord Nick, and was impressed with the efficient service and professional website. Just what I wanted.
When I turned up and saw a rather shabby façade and a 'homely' but basic bar area I was a little worried. We were led to our room, and things instantly got better. What a lovely room, spacious, crisp white sheets and a wonderfully fluffy quilt. Lovely and clean and one of the best showers I have had for a while. There was a tv on the wall at the foot of the bed and surprisingly free wifi which I had no problem connecting too.
We had booked our meal in the bar and were not disappointed.
Overall everything I was looking for after my first impression. Thank you for a great nights stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mandbtl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in the Cowes room. Great food ... Huge selection of real ales and ciders. Carpet in need of attention in the bar! Sweet garden and wonderful country views from our room... obvious that it would be noisy until the pub was closed but that was fine for us. Lovely accommodation with kind and well thought out details . Whiskey and chocolates, good coffee and bottled water. Great breakfast and a very good overall cost... Happy all round.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Helen W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here one night as a family to get an early start to the Festival of Speed at Goodwood and what a choice.

The welcome was friendly, as was the service throughout our stay, the rooms were comfortable and spacious.
The pub is delightful. Lovely garden, good local ales and the food is exquisite. The sirloin steak I had was prepared and cooked to perfection - I was so impressed I made a point of talking to the chef to find out what his tricks were!

We will definitely return whether as a family or a couple.

I could not recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mario G
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed here with my husband for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We arrived on a hot afternoon and were welcomed in the cool, shady bar area where we were quickly served our drinks and introduced to Mike who showed us up to our room (Cowes). The room was tastefully decorated with quality furnishings, overlooking the quiet lane on which the pub sits. Comfortable king sized bed with white 100% cotton bed linen, tv in a sensible position on the wall at the foot of the bed, fabulous shower room which looked recently fitted (turned out to be one of the best shower pressure's I've experienced in an hotel). A thoughtful touch in the presence of a decanter with a snifter of whiskey and two glasses on a tray was appreciated later in the evening.
The decor in the bar and dining areas is no frills stone floor, scrubbed pine tables and a mix-match arrangement of chairs which suits the informal atmosphere. A good range of wines and excellent beers and ciders was in evidence. And we found the food excellent with a fixed printed menu, plus a daily specials list. We tried the crab and chilli linguini, and the seafood platter and both were excellent. We discovered that they don't serve food on Sunday evenings (they do a big Sunday roast at lunchtime), but they directed us to a great Indian restaurant in nearby Liss, and suggested we got a takeout and brought it back so we could have a drink without driving.
We had our Labrador with us and found the owners extremely dog friendly, which was great as the weather was too hot to leave her in the car, so we spent time in the shade in the garden at the rear, or she was allowed under the table whilst we ate inside (she's very well behaved!)
All in all a great, friendly place which I would definitely use again if we're in the area.

Room Tip: Cowes is overlooking the quiet lane and fields at the front of the hotel. We saw a Roe deer twice i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 534HappyExplorer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liss
The Trooper Inn
Langrish House
#1 of 3 in Petersfield
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel

Been to Hawkley Inn? Share your experiences!