“Great Bike Destination from Gananoque”
Review of Smugglers Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Smugglers Bar and Grill
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood, International, Grill
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Burgers, nachos, chicken wraps, steak wraps, chicken fingers ect. Large expansive patio with breathtaking views of the St. Lawrence River and 1000 Islands Bridge.
Toronto, Canada
“Great Bike Destination from Gananoque”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I were staying in Gananoque (at The Inn) and took our bikes down the 1000 Parkway to Ivy Lea. This is one of the most awesome bike paths in the country: separated bike lane, beautiful views...a perfect 15k down the road to Smugglers Run for a beer and snack.
The service was very friendly; since we weren't there for the tour, we were in no rush and had a great time.
I have only 3 suggestions:
You're on the most awesome bike trail, but there's no bike racks (that we could see), so it would be awesome to add some. They don't need to be particularly 'secure' but a good place to put bikes out of the way of the tourists. If there are racks: we couldn't see them!
Also: I'm really into veggies and didn't really see much on the menu. The fried clams platter was Super and quite satisfying, however. The fries were really nicely done, too.
Also: we enjoyed the Keith's, but a local beer would really be nice.

• Visited May 2014

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of my faves - although sometimes a little unpredictable.”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I really do love Smugglers. It's always been one of my favourite restaurants, and family/friends and I end up there at least 4+ times a season, traveling from Kingston, and spending at least a few hundred dollars on drinks, appetizers, and main courses. There have been a few times where the service has not met my expectations. Sometimes the wait is a little too long, other times it's quite acceptable. I've also experienced a few servers who seem a little "dazed". I've almost always been pleased with the food. It's quite delicious, and portions are large and well priced. One time in particular (my birthday a few years ago) I found a very large, dead, and dressing-coated moth in my Caesar salad. I did not see the bill that night, but I'm fairly confident some adjustments were made. The server was apologetic. I really didn't make too big of a deal about it. Other then a few minor things, I've always been pretty pleased with my experience. I think it would be a great place for a wedding!

1 Thank Alison B
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Best View on Canadian Side”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were looking to enjoy an nice early dinner before going back over to the cottage, and we did enjoy our dinner at Smugglers. The view and charm of Ivy Lea is just gorgeous and unbeatable in the 1000 Islands. Our food was good and the service was ok but I was underwhelmed by the building, grounds and patio condition for a restaurant at their price point. We walked around the building from the front parking lot to access the patio and the side walk had goose poop on it and weeds around the walls--the grass down to the water was also not well cared for--not a big deal if you are serving bar food, but at their price point my expectations are higher. The gorgeous view can't only go so far--housekeeping issues all go toward creating atmosphere and the enjoyment of a meal. Will give them another try next spring, perhaps we were there on an off day.

1 Thank Christine C
Mobile, Alabama
“Quick Bite before the Boat Tour”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We ate appetizers here before the 1 hour boat tour. The waitresses were friendly and knowledgeable. The bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese that were suggested were perfect with the flatbread and Asian dumplings.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Michelle M
Mississauga, Canada
“Gorgeous View”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant by accident while out for a drive. There is an absolutely gorgeous view of the river, islands and bridge both from inside and outside on the deck. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch inside (the day we went the humidity made it feel like 40C+). I had a chicken, raspberry, pecan salad which is one of the best salads I have ever had! I would definitely go back when I am in the area again.

1 Thank Rubyslippers16_11