“We miss DUCKY too.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lansdowne
KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had another great stay here and keep coming back year after year. We intend on staying there again next summer. We stayed in the same cabins as usual and had a very comfortable stay. My one comment this year that makes it so much different than in previous years is the about the activity director. I hope they have someone much better next year. The activities for the kids have taken a nosedive. Very poorly done. We found her one day asleep on the couch in the TV room. I hope they have someone better next summer. I hope management takes note of these reviews.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank momto3kidsToronto
iv55203, Owner at KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Hello thank you for your reply about our campground. Ducky Rob was a great entertainer for the kids no doubt. Unfortunately we operate a seasonal business and as such can only offer similar employment. Another opportunity came up for Rob and we wish all the luck in the world down the road. We are constantly working on new activities to ensure the same level of activities and entertainment go on and last year we had Sam leading the charge. Again thank you for your time and we hope to see you again in 2014.

There are newer reviews for KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family ancestry is from Senegal altough my immediate family are all Canadian born. We camp alot and although most campers are predominantly white, we seldom get stares or feel uncomfortable. That is except when we camped at the KOA in the 1000 Islands. A teenaged boy made a fat lip by pulling his lower lip down and flattening it to imitate an Africans facial features. An adult woman saw this and didn't do a thing. We needless to say,packed up our belongings and checked out.
The staff at check in semed nice but once you checked in, they seemed to not be so nice.
The sites are crap! They are all small, have poor drainage and the wooded sites are "NOT" marvelous as the KOA seems to mention on their internet webpage, instead they are full of twigs and roots, making it nearly impossible to put in the tent pegs.

The pool is small and overcrowded.

The staff and campers there seem to share a common way of thinking.
I'm not saying every camper there is a bigot, there were many many nice people there, but just this one incident ruined it for us. We will NEVER camp there again and will advise all of our friends and relatives and neighbors to stay away from this KOA.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Boga M

Hello
Let me first apologize for the rude behavior of another guest. Though we recognize the fact that most of our guests are wonderful people, sometimes they are not. Obviously it impacted your entire stay and view of our property , and I am sorry. I wish I could say that this will never happen again, but as I mentioned above, some people are not the nicest. We do have intense training programs with all our staff about guest relations and problem solving, so I encourage you wherever you go in your future travels, please always search out upper management whenever you come across a similar situation or something negative about your stay. Almost all in the hospitality business want their guests to enjoy themselves during their stay and are there to help

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids stayed in a deluxe cabin for 1 night in August. The cabin had 1 queen bed in the main room and 2 bunks in a separate room. There was a full bathroom and kitchenette with a fridge. There was also a/c and a flat screen TV. There were 2 porches and a barbeque. The grounds were lovely and my daughter enjoyed the jumping pillow. The location was perfect for us as we were visiting people near Rockport. We also crossed the bridge to USA. We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend this campground.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CarolynGee
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My boyfriend and I have generally avoided KOAs due to their higher price but decided to try this one because it had a playground we could use for our one and a half year old. WOW! We got our money's worth and then some. At check in everyone was friendly and genuine, this is something I truly appreciate since I work in the front line of a hotel so customer care is huge for me. We went to set up and while we were the wagon came around with the kids with water guns and buckets that they used on the campers as they went by. My son laughed and clapped enjoying the show (I would also like to point out that the staff on the wagon were making sure the kids with them didn't spray any of the little guys like mine which I thought was very considerate). I could go on forever listing all the small things I found great about this place. The people are wonderful, the sites are clean and well maintained and there's great things going on all the time and not just on the weekends like most places do. Fantastic place. We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crystalb0708
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Our family goes camping once every 2 years to this KOA. It is great, rarely any mosquitos at the end of June, the swimming pools, and newly updated playground with bouncing pillow are awesome!

ANIMATION
Our kids have always loved coming here, but missed the animation that Ducky brought to the experience: bringing out the ghetto blaster with music and encouraging everyone to do water bombs in the bigger pool, playing Wii in the lounge on rainy days, ice cream socials and wagon water balloon rides.

This year Ducky was not here and when we asked, we got an evasive answer that he simply was not working there anymore. Sad, really sad, as the kids didn't even know about the wagon rides nor any of the activities. When asking other kids, they too did not know about any of the activities. My kids were even asking where is Ducky, for which I had no answer.

As I was on the veranda a couple of afternoons when these activities took place, the 'animator' although sweet, was not really animated, more shy than anything, asking people if they wanted to join arts and crafts, etc, with no kids showing up. It must have been hard to do that day in and out, with little/no participation.

>> Please bring back Ducky and/or someone else less shy to get the crowd going and having fun.

COMFORTS
Th facilities are getting better each time we go back. Last time we were here, the playground was all rotten wood, now it is a beautiful set up for kids aged 3 and more. Some big kids (like me!) even enjoyed the jumping pillow quite a bit: it holds 35 people at a time and is a great workout. It brought our entire family joy and fun.

A water tap to get a drink would be great here, as we emptied several bottles in one 15 minute session.

BATHROOMS
This is where one of my biggest issues coming here: in an effort to modernize the bathroom, management has increased the number of stalls some 4 years ago. While I like the out of the box thinking, it simply does not work: the stalls are way too narrow and tight.

In fact the first stall in the women's bathroom is the only one where I can enter/exit without having to do the 'straddle the toilet and push against one stall side separator to get out routine'. Lovely. At 3am, this goes over so well. Sigh.

>> Less bathroom stalls, more leg/body room would be a better change here. I cannot re-iterate this enough.

When it comes to showers, they have installed new rain shower heads and a small changing area: both major improvements over what was there previously. I would however recommend a place to put soap/shampoo such as a shower caddy, as well as have replaceable palm shower heads that can hit areas that a fixed shower head cannot. Right now you have to keep all shampoo/soap on a bench in the change area.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
We had a blast, although at times it was difficult to keep 4 kids aged 8-12 entertained without a good animation plan in place that works. We will be coming back next summer, but unless you take it up a step in this regard, it may sadly be our last trip.

Room Tip: Select sites 83-85 for electricity and hot water hookups that are close to the bathrooms. And also...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann-Marie J
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Even though we were camping without children, we both enjoyed the facilities and friendly service. Our site looked like it had recently seen its gravel pad raised a little so we had an easy job of leveling our travel trailer.

The washrooms were quite clean and there's always plenty of staff on-hand so you're never made to feel as though you're disturbing someone when you want to ask questions.

For those camping with children, this KOA is a must! The park is huge and the bouncing pillow is the most fun I've had in a long time.

We were also very surprised by the lack of mosquitos - not sure if they spray to prevent them, but it sure was nice to spend evenings outside and not be chased back indoors by the insects.

While walking around the grounds, we did note that many of the tent sites are not very level. It would be a good idea to specifically request a level site. Also, it seems that there are a number of seasonal campers. It is best to book as far ahead of time as possible to ensure you can get a site with the service you want.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iLOVEspringROLLS
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We had reservations for just one night as a stop over on our way home (two day trip) from New Hampshire. We ended up leaving NH a day early because of the weather there. We arrived at the KOA here after the office closed, so followed the instructions about choosing a site and wrote a note regarding arriving a day early for our reservation.

The next morning, we were graciously welcomed and our reservation was changed without any hesitation whatsoever. What a great change from our previous campground in NH! I wish we could have stayed longer but we just wanted to get on home. If we're ever in the area again, we will definitely stay here. The variety of programming is astounding, and if we had brought children, they would have been in heaven on that playground. Didn't have a chance to use the swimming pool or hot tub but they looked wonderful. Bathrooms were clean and well-equipped. It did take a while to get hot water in the shower, but perhaps because it was a weekday and there weren't too many people actually in the campground this early in the season to keep the hot water coming regularly.

Room Tip: Closer to the bathrooms would have been nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansdowne
Holiday Inn Express Suites Gananoque
#7 of 11 in Gananoque
Capricorn Motel Royale
Capricorn Motel Royale
#1 of 1 in Ivy Lea

Been to KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea? Share your experiences!