“KOA Ivy Lea is a GREAT place to camp!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea

KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea
Eastern Canada
“KOA Ivy Lea is a GREAT place to camp!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have a family of five and we all have a fabulous time at this wonderful campground! With all the activities the staff have going there is always something for the kids to do. The staff are getting a 15 out of 10 from us. They do every and anything to keep the campers happy and smiling. We went for the first time for two weekends last fall and we signed up for the Spring & Fall program this year, and we're coming back next year!! Come and enjoy yourself. You won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mistys68

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hartington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed on site 32 during the May long weekend. Everyone one had a good time. But we missed the pancake breakfast and other things that's has been put on in the past. Need better drainage or more gravel on some sites. I understand we have had lots of rain this spring.

• Stayed May 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank Neil P
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had another great stay here and keep coming back year after year. We intend on staying there again next summer. We stayed in the same cabins as usual and had a very comfortable stay. My one comment this year that makes it so much different than in previous years is the about the activity director. I hope they have someone much better next year. The activities for the kids have taken a nosedive. Very poorly done. We found her one day asleep on the couch in the TV room. I hope they have someone better next summer. I hope management takes note of these reviews.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank momto3kidsToronto
iv55203, Owner at KOA 1000 Islands / Ivy Lea, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello thank you for your reply about our campground. Ducky Rob was a great entertainer for the kids no doubt. Unfortunately we operate a seasonal business and as such can only offer similar employment. Another opportunity came up for Rob and we wish all the luck in the world down the road. We are constantly working on new activities to ensure the same level of activities and entertainment go on and last year we had Sam leading the charge. Again thank you for your time and we hope to see you again in 2014.
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family ancestry is from Senegal altough my immediate family are all Canadian born. We camp alot and although most campers are predominantly white, we seldom get stares or feel uncomfortable. That is except when we camped at the KOA in the 1000 Islands. A teenaged boy made a fat lip by pulling his lower lip down and flattening it to imitate an Africans facial features. An adult woman saw this and didn't do a thing. We needless to say,packed up our belongings and checked out.
The staff at check in semed nice but once you checked in, they seemed to not be so nice.
The sites are crap! They are all small, have poor drainage and the wooded sites are "NOT" marvelous as the KOA seems to mention on their internet webpage, instead they are full of twigs and roots, making it nearly impossible to put in the tent pegs.

The pool is small and overcrowded.

The staff and campers there seem to share a common way of thinking.
I'm not saying every camper there is a bigot, there were many many nice people there, but just this one incident ruined it for us. We will NEVER camp there again and will advise all of our friends and relatives and neighbors to stay away from this KOA.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Boga M
Hello
Let me first apologize for the rude behavior of another guest. Though we recognize the fact that most of our guests are wonderful people, sometimes they are not. Obviously it impacted your entire stay and view of our property , and I am sorry. I wish I could say that this will never happen again, but as I mentioned above, some people are not the nicest. We do have intense training programs with all our staff about guest relations and problem solving, so I encourage you wherever you go in your future travels, please always search out upper management whenever you come across a similar situation or something negative about your stay. Almost all in the hospitality business want their guests to enjoy themselves during their stay and are there to help
Owen Sound
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids stayed in a deluxe cabin for 1 night in August. The cabin had 1 queen bed in the main room and 2 bunks in a separate room. There was a full bathroom and kitchenette with a fridge. There was also a/c and a flat screen TV. There were 2 porches and a barbeque. The grounds were lovely and my daughter enjoyed the jumping pillow. The location was perfect for us as we were visiting people near Rockport. We also crossed the bridge to USA. We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend this campground.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PCbailey
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My boyfriend and I have generally avoided KOAs due to their higher price but decided to try this one because it had a playground we could use for our one and a half year old. WOW! We got our money's worth and then some. At check in everyone was friendly and genuine, this is something I truly appreciate since I work in the front line of a hotel so customer care is huge for me. We went to set up and while we were the wagon came around with the kids with water guns and buckets that they used on the campers as they went by. My son laughed and clapped enjoying the show (I would also like to point out that the staff on the wagon were making sure the kids with them didn't spray any of the little guys like mine which I thought was very considerate). I could go on forever listing all the small things I found great about this place. The people are wonderful, the sites are clean and well maintained and there's great things going on all the time and not just on the weekends like most places do. Fantastic place. We will be back!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Crystalb0708
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Our family goes camping once every 2 years to this KOA. It is great, rarely any mosquitos at the end of June, the swimming pools, and newly updated playground with bouncing pillow are awesome!

ANIMATION
Our kids have always loved coming here, but missed the animation that Ducky brought to the experience: bringing out the ghetto blaster with music and encouraging everyone to do water bombs in the bigger pool, playing Wii in the lounge on rainy days, ice cream socials and wagon water balloon rides.

This year Ducky was not here and when we asked, we got an evasive answer that he simply was not working there anymore. Sad, really sad, as the kids didn't even know about the wagon rides nor any of the activities. When asking other kids, they too did not know about any of the activities. My kids were even asking where is Ducky, for which I had no answer.

As I was on the veranda a couple of afternoons when these activities took place, the 'animator' although sweet, was not really animated, more shy than anything, asking people if they wanted to join arts and crafts, etc, with no kids showing up. It must have been hard to do that day in and out, with little/no participation.

>> Please bring back Ducky and/or someone else less shy to get the crowd going and having fun.

COMFORTS
Th facilities are getting better each time we go back. Last time we were here, the playground was all rotten wood, now it is a beautiful set up for kids aged 3 and more. Some big kids (like me!) even enjoyed the jumping pillow quite a bit: it holds 35 people at a time and is a great workout. It brought our entire family joy and fun.

A water tap to get a drink would be great here, as we emptied several bottles in one 15 minute session.

BATHROOMS
This is where one of my biggest issues coming here: in an effort to modernize the bathroom, management has increased the number of stalls some 4 years ago. While I like the out of the box thinking, it simply does not work: the stalls are way too narrow and tight.

In fact the first stall in the women's bathroom is the only one where I can enter/exit without having to do the 'straddle the toilet and push against one stall side separator to get out routine'. Lovely. At 3am, this goes over so well. Sigh.

>> Less bathroom stalls, more leg/body room would be a better change here. I cannot re-iterate this enough.

When it comes to showers, they have installed new rain shower heads and a small changing area: both major improvements over what was there previously. I would however recommend a place to put soap/shampoo such as a shower caddy, as well as have replaceable palm shower heads that can hit areas that a fixed shower head cannot. Right now you have to keep all shampoo/soap on a bench in the change area.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
We had a blast, although at times it was difficult to keep 4 kids aged 8-12 entertained without a good animation plan in place that works. We will be coming back next summer, but unless you take it up a step in this regard, it may sadly be our last trip.

Room Tip: Select sites 83-85 for electricity and hot water hookups that are close to the bathrooms. And also...