“Steak platter for 2”

Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Hillsborough
Price range: US$33 - US$76
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our menus are designed to offer the best and freshest of local produce, including game from the neighbouring Larchfield Estate and ingredients and dishes from around the globe. As a sister restaurant to the Award Winning Plough Inn, Hillsborough, naturally seafood is our house speciality all year round. Our aim is to offer something to satisfy everyone's tastes. Our friendly and attentive staff are here to ensure that you relax and simply enjoy a taste of "good olde Irish hospitality".
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

4 of us went here to get the steak platter deal. It's really good value 8oz sirloin and an 8oz rump steak 2 sides and 2 sauces for £19.95. The steaks were cooked perfectly and tasted great. The restaurant is nice and cosy and has a really relaxed atmosphere and I loved the open fire! Staff were ok but not overly pleasant, our steaks were brought out together but had a gap in waiting for the sides. I only went here because of the deal the menu for me is too fussy and nothing else would appeal to me on it. There was 2 deserts both went down well. Decent sized portions for the price you pay. Not a scrap of food left on any of the 4 plates. Would def recommend.

2  Thank victoria f

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We are a family of five with three small kids.we absolutely love the pheasant.we have been going there for about ten years.we know when we go there the food is of a good standard and we have never had a bad meal.we go there most weeks ,and always enjoy the food .the pheasant always feels like home.we have had better meals in different reastaurants but the pheasant never let's us down! We know what to expect when we go there and that is of a good standard and after all the years of going there , have never had a bad meal.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Called here for Sunday lunch. Food was really lovely just a pity about the service. Extremely slow and one waitress in particular had a very bad attitude.

1  Thank Eimear799
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We've been to The Pheasant quite a few times and have always been pleased with the food and service up until this visit. I'd read some of the recent negative reviews and took them with a pinch of salt, thinking some folk are impossible to please. My husband and I, my mother-in-law, and our two pre-school children went to the Pheasant on Monday 17th Feb, and I don't think we'll be rushing back.

Unlike some reviewers, we had no issue with the size of the portions (and we have very healthy appetites!) and the kids meals (one free kids meal per adult meal purchased) were good. However, as many people have commented, the service was PAINFULLY slow, despite business being somewhat slack. For example, my mother-in-law didn't want a starter, and it was well over an hour from ordering until her main course arrived. My starter, spring roll, onion bhajis and pheasant was huge, but unfortunately tasted as though the fat it was fried in was burnt. My husband was not impressed either with his brie starter, nor the quality of meat in his pulled pork main, and I just gave up halfway through my venison pie, as it was stodgy and I just wasn't enjoying it.

On the plus side, my double chocolate cheesecake was delicious, and my mother-in-law enjoyed her plum and ginger cake. However, ervice had taken so long that my husband (the only one going back to work) did not have time for a dessert. The rest of us declined ordering coffee, as we had no realistic expectation of its timely arrival!

Come on Pheasant, do something to speed up the service, and get back on form with the food. We'll happily give the place another try once we're reading consistently good reviews again!

2  Thank Fiona M
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Steaks cooked to perfection and at a great price. £20 for two steaks and side orders including two sauces. Plus kids eat for free. Staff were great too.