“We will not be back!”

Price range: US$3 - US$8
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Situated at the top of the town in Hillsborough, it's a real treat whether you're visiting the local heritage, or just want some fabulous home cooking with a friendly atmosphere. This is the place to go!!!
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My mum and I went to Deelite on Saturday around 5pm to get a quick cup of tea and a scone. When we went in at first there were a few people getting served at the ice-cream counter. We sat down, took off our coats and as no-one was coming over to serve us we went over to the counter to order, when we were told that they were actually closing but if we wanted we could get an ice-cream to take-away. As my mum is diabetic this was unsuitable so we left and went to another coffee shop close by who were more than happy to have our custom.

Very disappointed that the member of staff let us sit down and decide what we wanted before telling us they were closed. If they don't want our custom they won't be getting it!
Plenty of other nice coffee shops in Hillsborough to go to!!!

CafeDeelite, Manager at Cafe Deelite, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Hi Gillian.

I am very disappointed to read your comments. I had spoken to you myself on Saturday so I remember your visit clearly. As I explained to you at the time, we actually closed at 4.30pm but we were so busy with take-away requests for ice cream that I couldn't get to the door to close it.

We have our opening times posted very clearly in the window of the door you come through that show our closing time of 4.30, but I like to still offer take0away service at that point so I'm not turning customers away.

Again, I am very disappointed that you felt strongly enough to write a harsh review when you were coming to the café almost 30 minutes after we were closed and were still offered a takeaway service. Very hurtful and un-called for in my opinion.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stopped here today and had a really tasty lunch. My son had a delicious fry and we also sampled the toasted sandwiches, apple tart and rhubarb tart (with fresh cream) with good coffee and hot milk. Everything was excellent and the café is clean and brightly lit at the top of the hill. The staff were efficient and friendly and I thoroughly recommend a stop here if you are in the environs of Hillsborough. Open on Sunday too!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

As customers of the previous owners we were happy to continue our custom. Oh dear, two enormous cups of coffee with a spoon thrown into each and set down on the table. No decorum here! What vile coffee, neither of us could drink it. This was told to the staff on paying, who blamed the supplier but still took our money. No apologies were forthcoming. That combined with watery vegetable soup and stale rolls back in June will not entice us back. :-(

CafeDeelite, Manager at Cafe Deelite, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Hi there. I am very sorry to hear of your experience in the Café. This is certainly in stark contrast to the vast majority of the reviews and feedback we have received from our customers, but that's not to say that I am not taking your feedback seriously.

In regard to the rolls, we actually get fresh breads in regularly throughout each week to avoid staleness. I am sorry to hear you did not like the large mugs of coffee as we introduced them based on customer requests and the coffee remains with Johnsons, who were the suppliers during the previous owners time in Café Chimes so we have kept continuity where it was popular and made changes to other areas since taking over in October 2012.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, if you have any suggestions I would be delighted to take them on board, you can contact me at cafedeelite@yahoo.co.uk

Reviewed 18 August 2013

After a long walk round Hillsborough Forest, we found Cafe Deelite to be the first place we passed by on the look out for a bite to eat. I ordered a filled soda (£2:95) and a pot of tea and my friend ordered a cappucchino along with a chocolate topped piece of shortbread. The total bill came to £7:80. The delightful waitress was only too happy to oblige with my request for an additional egg in the soda at no extra cost (I did tip extra to make up for this). Will most definitely return in the not too distant future as I was extremely impressed by the level of service and the quality of food on offer for very reasonable prices.

CafeDeelite, Manager at Cafe Deelite, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your kind review. We work hard at keeping up the quality in our selection, whilst keeping the prices low. If you have any suggestions for our menu, catering requests or and questions you can contact us on our Facebook page.

Nice to have you as a new customer and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

After a lovely tour of Government House we called into Cafe Deelite for a cup of tea. I ordered at the counter and paid the bill £9.20 in advance. We enjoyed our tea and left. We had not walked far up the street when we heard someone shout in a loud voice, "Excuse me!" We stopped and turned around to see a member of the cafe staff standing on the top step and shouting in our direction."Have yous paid?" We were extremely embarrassed and thankful that we did not live in Hillsborough as the street was very busy on lovely Saturday afternoon! What a way to treat customers.

I can understand your concerns in the way the question was asked to you in such a public way. This was a genuine error and the young girl was very upset that she caused you embarrassment. This is not a reflection of our customer service in Café Deelite.