“Nice Food, Good Ales, Great Ambience”

The Hillside Hillsborough
Belfast, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Nice Food, Good Ales, Great Ambience”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Top quality produce, nicely presented, at a reasonable price, though the supposed salt chilli chicken strips weren't that spicy. Nice food, good ales, great ambience and a very friendly staff all add up to an excellent lunchtime experience.

Letterkenny, Ireland
296 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,048 helpful votes
“Very English”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The difference between Irish and English bars, is that Irish bars have the craic, but English one's almost always look better. The same has to be said about the "Hillside". It's a beautiful looking bar, but sadly lacks character. If this bar was south of the border, it would be totally different!

I visited here over the weekend, and although I enjoyed my visits, I knew it could have been a lot better. One of the locals I got chatting to, told me that Mo Mowlam, who was the secretary of Northern Ireland, used to drink here, and fair play to her, mixing with the peasants!! I bet that ruined her Knighthood!!!

There are only three bars in the village, and the Hillside is No. 2 in my opinion. However, they should look south of the border for guidance, because, with a little more effort and consideration, they could actually come up with the real McCoy!!!

Visited February 2014