“Incredible”

Gyreum Ecolodge
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Incredible”
Reviewed 20 December 2010

A few friends and myself stayed at the Gyreum for two weeks in late October, early November. We had the time of our lives! Colum, the owner and operator, is easily one of the most interesting and easy people to talk to. We had free-roam of the entire place, and it was wonderful. With endless beauty and sights to see right outside the windows, it was hard to leave this magical little spot behind and come home to the states. Colum is very easy going, letting us come and go whenever we wanted; and with Sligo so close by, we were gone quite a bit.
The Gyreum was a wonderful place to visit, and we cannot wait to go back someday. Colum's other guests were a riot as well. All in all, we would recommend this place to anyone looking for a little bit of exciting adventure, with a great view!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank fly_report

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 December 2010

In both April and November this year, I attended weekend-long yoga retreats at the Gyreum. The first was so good that I decided to organise my own with a friend again in November. We brought fifteen guests and had the whole space to ourselves over the weekend for shared meals, a great big kitchen to cook in, the cosy reading room, a choice of dorms, a rustic sauna and outdoor plunge pool, private rooms or little capsule tents to sleep in and the wonderful big central hall for quiet reading, chatting and yoga practice. On both days we were easily able to route magnificent walks, to the ancient passage tombs at Carrowkeel and exploring the lake. I couldn't imagine a more ideal space and I think we all enjoyed an extremely restorative weekend. The owner was wonderfully kind, receptive and laid back and we enjoyed our first evening sharing a meal, hearing about the unique creation of this very special place. Every detail of the place seems to have a story, the furniture is really special, with one huge wooden door, a great big table for shared meals with recessed candle holders and metal surfaces for hot plates. I will return again and again, and I really recommend it to anyone looking to organise a restful trip for friends.

Stayed November 2010
Linz
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I've only visited about 10 hostels in Ireland, so it's not fair to appoint the Gyreum as the/my top one hostel of Ireland, but can't help doing that as - even though i don't know the other few hundreds - I can't imagine a more wonderful place to stay for exploring Ireland and I didn't have the desire to proof this hypothesis at all after having arrived there.
The architecture, the atmosphere, the surroundings, the warm interior design, the calmness, the good vibrations,.. really catch you.
Staying there for 3 days felt like going _forward_ to the _roots_: Feeling a deep connection with nature, life, yourself on the one side while beeing wrapped in an innovative, creative, intense, modern eco and easy-going coat on the other side.
I could write about details what reviewers are supposed to. About wheter the coffee was hot or the jam sweet, the water warm or the wifi strong enough.
But daring about such trifles means having missed the topic the Gyreum is all about.
I prefer telling you that you won't focus on such things there anymore; it just feels good to stay there and enjoy the power of that place.
To sum up, I recommend the Gyreum to people who share the point of view that THIS is what life in general and holiday trips specifically is/are all about.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
dublin
Reviewed 28 October 2010

A group of us stayed in the Gyreum independent hostel after the Leonard Concert this year. It was hard to beat - cheap, friendly and the weekend we were there a substantial healthy breakfast was available for just 7 euro. If you like an informal, friendly environment away from the maddening crowds, in amazingly beautiful surroundings, this is the place for you. We were made to feel right at home, and enjoyed the ambience, the books and the food. We'll all be back, and next time for longer. Do bear in mind that the owner may be on his own, so phone ahead to confirm your booking and time of arrival, and enjoy your stay!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We found the ecolodge dirty and grotty and just couldn't recommend it. And it was not cheap. We paid €30 per person to share a 6 bed dorm. As hostel prices go this is very expensive. Our room had 4 beds and 2 bunks and a sink. This sink was filthy, loads of toothpaste, etc left behind by previous inhabitants.
Breakfast cost €7.50 and was ok, but service very haphazard , eg berries for our porrige arrived long after the porridge was eaten, toast brought out by hand and dumped on the table. And we kept having to go into the kitchen for mugs, cutlery, milk, etc.
Guests into wildlife will feel at home among the spiders and slugs (bathroom & shower room)and cats (kitchen and sitting/dining area).
The young girl working there did her best but the whole place needs organisation, as well as a good scrub.
The idea of the eco lodge is admirable but I feel the owner is not the person to run it. I notice from previous reviews that it had been well run by a German couple so bring back the Germans to straighten it out!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ester2010

Travellers are raving about these Riverstown hotels

dublin
Reviewed 26 May 2009

The Gyreum is a great idea, but is really struggling under the mismanagement of its owner. I stayed there twice, once with a group in March, where we were very well treated by the German couple who were volunteering at the Gyreum in the owner's absence. I returned alone for a few days and it was like a different place. The owner was in residence, the place was filthy, there was no hot water for showers, no proper shower working anyway, "eco-toliet" facilities only. I was paying full price for a single room, despite being put in a dorm which I was told I would have to share if more guests arrived, but was recieving aboslutely no service from the Gyreum beyond the bare bones of a roof over my head. I had booked in for 5 nights. I lasted for 3. The owner needs to have a real re-think about what he's trying to achieve with the Gyreum. It could be a fantastic place, but at the moment it seems to be being run in to the ground. It seems that eco is an excuse for skeleton facilities and services.There were also a few frustrated WOFFers volunteering at the place under very little guidance.
On the plus side, the surrounding landscape is fabulous. It is not that far from any of the good hikes in SLigo or from SLigo Town itself, although it is very isolated so you will most likely need a car.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank littlered1
Wakerley
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Stayed here with three others and really enjoyed our stay. We were the only guests at the time, so we had the run of the place. Manager Sigrid and her partner were very welcoming. Facilities were good (a real shower would have been a plus, though).

We had originally booked two twin tents, but Sigrid offered us one of the 6-bed dorms, which we snapped up very happily (two of our lot are 60+ so the 2-man tents looked a bit daunting).

It was great having the cats around (we missed ours), and the kitchen was well equipped.

We all slept very well, probably thanks to the celestial positioning of the very intriguing building. There was snow on the ground, but the dome was comfortably warm.

• Liked — Comfy beds
  • Disliked — No showers
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Jennie R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverstown
Sligo Park Hotel
#7 of 8 in Boyle
Coopershill House
Coopershill House
#1 of 1 in Riverstown

Been to Gyreum Ecolodge? Share your experiences!