“the hosts are extremely accomodating”
Review of Xamach Dos

Xamach Dos
South Lake Tahoe, Ca
“the hosts are extremely accomodating”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We will be back to Xmach Dos someday before too long, and it will mainly be due to the unending hospitality shown by Michelle and Hugo. The best thing about it for us, was the feeling of comradery, like when you go on a camping trip with family and you end up in an unexpectadly lovely place. The food was really good, especially the morning coffee which was always out by 7am. I can't tell you how much that means to me. The dinners where really late sometimes, like 9pm, but since lunch is served later too, that works for most people. We had a ton of fun playing coconut bocce ball and dancing to reggae with people we happened to meet there. They even had a basket of sunblock and bug spray, that you could use and novels to swap in the cabanas. We loved the mosquito netting, all the driftwood touches and the hammocks. Only suggestion, build a cabana with a small frig and cook station and rent it for more, so someone like me, who loves to cook local foods, can do so. And fix the leaky double kayak. I am not saying the place is perfect, but for someone that realizes that paradise is not always so, they will get a kick out of this place. Also, we know they can't do anything about all the trash on the beach surrounding them, and they keep their area spotless, but I wish that someone could...I guess it comes in on the currents from other areas of Mexico. I hope to God that it doesn't come from cruise ships as has been said. We are going to research that and see what we can do.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sol, it was lovely. One windy night we got a lot of sand in though. The view was worth...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I can't wait to go back to xamach dos. Located far enough away from the commercial and touristy cities, it offered everything we were looking for in a vacation. Our gracious hosts made us feel at home right away. One day in we felt like Michelle and Hugo were old friends. The food was homemade and mind blowing. Local fresh fruit, French press coffee, and hot tea greeted us every morning. The lunches and dinners rank among the best meals I've ever consumed. The thatch roof cabanas were beautiful, clean, and unique. Ocean kayaking, beach volleyball, snorkeling, and amazing cocktails kept us entertained from morning to night. This is a hidden gem. I have dreamt about it every day and night since I left. If you are looking for a/c, flat screen tvs, and crowds maybe stay in cancun. If you are looking for true paradise, try xamach dos.

• Stayed April 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 May 2013

After staying at Xamach Dos for just a few days, it has absolutely become one of my favorite places in the world. Tucked far away from the rush of city life, and set on a well-maintained stretch of beautiful sugar-sand beach, any stress you carry in will quickly melt away.

Our hosts Michelle and Hugo were extremely friendly and accommodating, and our cabanas were very clean and comfortable. We traveled as a large group of friends, and it immediately felt as if Michelle and Hugo had been part of our group all along. The other staff members, Armano and Marta, were also extremely kind and friendly to us. Every meal was incredibly delicious, but the fish tacos were the star of the show, good lord they were out of sight! ...then again, the conchinita was so good...and the chiles rellenos...and the taquitos...everything was so tasty!!

The amenity list may be a bit slimmer than some of the large hotels and resorts, but in my opinion that is another advantage it has on those resorts -- it is an incredibly relaxing place. If you would prefer the cool ocean breeze and the sounds of tropical birds through the screened thatched-roof cabanas over widescreen TVs and air-conditioning, I enthusiastically recommend Xamach Dos.

Oh, to be back in a hammock with a michelada at my side...check it out, just don't schedule anything for the week I want to book!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Well, I rewrote 5 times my review cause there's too much stuff going on in my head. So I'm gonna keep it short. Xamach Dos is the greatest lodging I've been in my life, but I know it's not for everyone (Which in my mind is also great!)

All I'm gonna say is that you should not listen to the nay sayers. You should not expect a TV, A/C or a GYM. If you read properly, you'll see that it's not offered at this place and you shouldn't complain afterwards about that.

What you WILL get is a great beach, incredible food and heart warming tenants. What else do you really want in a vacation?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KrisDaBerg
liverpool
Reviewed 10 April 2013

went for a big trek into biosphere today – dont forget to juice up the cars petrol tank ! we drove way in , takes ages as its such a bad road to drive on , and we eventually decided we would stop at a place we found along the way called XAMACH DOS . it said welcome to paradise so we bought into that one .

its run by an american girl called michelle and her mexican fella called hugo . previous to these running it , it had been her dads place for 9 years previous . nice hosts would be an understatement . its a small place with about 5 or 6 cabanas and rooms . it has one particularly cool cabana on stilts they call the honeymoon suite …. complete with massive bath inside , and the whole thing is lifted up all on stilts overlooking the sea .

after apologising they didnt have any rooms we explained we where only after a beer or something and a break on the beach and they welcomed us in . they arent really a public place we discovered , but their door is open and they will happily host you for beers n snacks IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE . it was really peaceful , one couple reading books , so i dont expect a whole load of noise would go down well here . this place is so chilled and so remote , visit to unwind ;~)

loved the pirate flag flying on the beach , and their cat . we lazed in hammocks . a strange tide , poss a result of that storm , had that morning washed a load of seaweed onto their beach , hugo wasnt too happy as he had only just cleaned it apparently !! you can tell they love this place , they run it so well . due to the nearby offshore reef there is pratically zero tide here , calmest water we have seen while in tulum . there is a few odd bits of nasty plastic washed up nearby , but not on their property , its spotless . seaweed is left on beaches here , its an eco system . all natural .

they gave us some great stories , made up some empanadas , salsas and guac and chips etc , and this mayan dish which was made of toasted pumkin seeds , crushed , then mixed with tomatos to form a dipping paste . wow this food is so soooo good here wished we had stayed for longer but we where just daytripping in our car from tulum . you can read my tulum blog here tharobster.wordpress.com

oh yeh , the journey into biosphere – its long bumpy gravelly fun times . no strain no gain ... and keeps away the unwanted lazy all inclusives ;-) good luck with your holiday at a really great place in the jungle !!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

As we wound our way down the seemingly endless road from Tulum our minds switched out of the mindset of "getting everything I want... right now" to the more zen, "We are way down a road that will tax any effort to leave so heavily we hope it is good' at Xamach Dos" Serendipity much?
We found very friendly and hospitable folk with a special un-ambitious chill attitude that suited the beautiful beach and artful and unpretentious resort perfectly.
And then we began experiencing the food (Hola Hugo !), the drink (Hey Dan and Michelle!), and the awesome clean coral-filled ocean-- We were transported from Toronto to a tropical paradise.
Imagine being alone on kilometers of beach stretching north and south. Tear off all your clothes and frolic naked? Why not? Cruise the beach looking for shells and coral treasures to take back (we didn't but the found treasures abounded)? Why not? Sit in a hammock with no-one bothering you at all? Welcome to Xamach Dos!
Yes there is plastic washed up all up and down the coast... Dan and Michelle, Hugo, Armando, Martha... they didn't put it there and as long as we live in a through-away world even paradise will have crap on the beach.
Yes when the wind changed from the South east to from the north the flies came out of nowhere. These are regular smallish flies that do not bite. I would rather tolerate flies in a paradise than have someone spraying toxic crap all over so people who have never been out of the city won't get queasy with their TV minds replaying science programs about flies.
By the time we became fast friends with another couple and went on adventures (Mayan ruins, Cenotes, mangrove swamps, tequila, et cetera we were so far from our workday lives... what an exhilarating and satisfying getaway.

Room Tip: The little cabins tucked in the woods are like you've never seen. The treehouse is luxurious...s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I don't like writing poor reviews, but I feel that it's necessary to share this information with others because there are so many 5 star reviews for this place and I was expecting more. My main issue was the beach. We had planned a trip to this area in order to experience the pristine beach away from large crowds. The beach in front of the hotel is fairly clean (about 300 feet), but there was still a lot of seaweed in the water, so it wasn't the best place to get in and swim. The beach on either side of the hotel beach (for miles and miles) is covered (seriously covered) in trash. It was actually really sad. We walked for miles in both directions trying to find a nice stretch of beach to lay on and swim, but could not. The hotel provided two chairs to lay out on (for all the guests). There are a few hammocks and a table with chairs, but that's about it. Also, we were each provided one towel for the entire trip, to use for both bathing and beach. I used the term glamping because it was like camping, but a little more glamorous. The living quarters weren't clean (bugs and sand) and were never cleaned while we were there. I also use the term bed and breakfast because there is only one place to eat (under the palapa) and you eat every meal there and with the same people. Very close quarters. The food was very good, and the cook is very talented but if you have food allergies or a picky palate, I wouldn't recommend it because the same meal is cooked for everyone during lunch and dinner. There were also flies all over the food and tables. Star gazing at Xamach Dos was really cool and the people were friendly. However, these positives didn't overshadow the negatives. Overall, we were disappointed with the accommodations. We ended up spending one day in Tulum (about one very bumpy hour away) and then leaving Xamach Dos a night early to finish out the rest of our vacation in Tulum. I would highly recommend Tulum. The beach was beautiful and the water was clean and gorgeous.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank loricatthomas
Xamachdan, Owner at Xamach Dos, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
This couple obviously was unhappy with our place,(both bad reviews, this one and the following one are from the same couple) I do not have a problem with that, there are a few points I would like to express in response though, (also notice that the 3 5 star reviews that follow theirs are from people who stayed after this couple) I was present while they were at Xamach, nothing was brought to my attention in terms of complaints, problems etc. Sand on the floor, which they must have tracked in, or an occasion dead bug are part of life in the jungle. I think even an all-inclusive would have some of that.
I will admit, December had an unusually large infestation of houseflies, but it was not a problem confined to us. Tulum had the same problem, as well as hotels north. The problem was gone by February.
December is a stormy month- there are times when sea grass is churned up in the water. We are on a bay, and by nature there is more sea grass.
We cook for Vegans, Vegetarians, gluten free diets,etc all the time with no problems.
We have 7 hammocks, 5 beach type chairs, the restaurant palapa is open and large, and as for the beach on either side of us, I can not control the plastic which washes up, it comes from all over-cruise ships, Haiti, Florida, South Africa-it is the world's plastic, and a good reminder for people to use less plastic.
I am disappointed these people chose to write two bad reviews about the same trip, I guess to try and make us look worse, or because we have so many good reviews maybe.
I have worked hard to make Xamach Dos the best it can be, and most people find that it is a very special place.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sian Ka'an
Mi Amor Colibri Boutique Hotel
Hotel Jashita
Hotel Jashita
#1 of 2 in Soliman Bay

Been to Xamach Dos? Share your experiences!