“I keep coming back”
Review of Xamach Dos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sian Ka'an
Xamach Dos
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Typically I don't go to Mexico except May thru August. However I was at XD in Dec 2013 and cut my trip short. I came back with my wife and a good friend and stayed from March 5th till the 14th.
I've written a number of reviews so excuse me for repeating myself. The owners and staff are
like family to me. It was my 60th BDay on March 9th and Dan, his daughter Michelle and Hugo
made it one I will never forget. I cannot tell you what I did last year for my BDAY...but this one I will NEVER forget. After a beautiful day just hanging on the beach and a great dinner I had a few drinks...perhaps more than a few and I rarely drink. Many of the other guests joined in and we sat at the outdoor dining/dancing/chess playing and all around beautiful place to just take in
the serenity till the party started. To make a long story short I got up on the bar with Dan and played air guitar while Michelle joined in with the vocals. Everyone had a GREAT time. XD is unique and perhaps not for everyone but that is what makes it so special. We stayed in Casa Grande and loved it. But we have stayed in Sol and loved that as well. MY THANKS to Dan, Michelle and Hugo for catering to our needs. My wife is Vegan and I am a picky eater. This was never a problem.In fact the general attitude at XD is "no problem". Please feel free to PM me
on the Trip Advisor site if you want specific information about fishing, snorkeling the etc. and of course XD. I'm hoping to go again in a few months.

Room Tip: Visit the website to view rooms. The XD sites pictures are accurate.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We found Xamach Dos a great place for relaxation, great dining and good times. Being one who works in rural British Columbia the road was indeed poor (but mostly due to poor to non-existent maintenance), however, the road is merely uncomfortable and is best driven with a higher clearance vehicle with larger rubber. Hugo the chef and his supporting team take great pride in their creations as every meal they prepared for us was fantastic. Michelle was very friendly and a good host, unfortunately we didn't get to experience Dan. The beds were good but the pillows mediocre. The beach is superb other than the garbage that keeps drifting in from afar (this is a global problem and is not the creation of the resort or the Mexian people as we found junk from as far away as Germany and Africa). I reccomned the resort for those who love rural places of great beauty and have flexible and adaptable personas as meals are on Mexican time and if you have the right attitude this place is heaven. For those who fear bumpy roads, rural places and demand everything to be on an anally retentive time schedule you will need to relax or find a different place for your holiday (and maybe should go to Switzerland where everything is on time instead of Mexico). When I make it back to the Yucatan Xamach Dos will be on my agenda.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank corsetsncoconuts
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Positives: our cabana was comfortable (great beds) but with a minor leak during a thunderstorm. Hot water comes to the shower after a short wait. The kitchen is good and the owners are very accommodating of dietary preferences (during our stay there were people who didn't eat meat, some who didn't eat fish, and some who didn't eat either). The prices for food and accommodation are reasonable. The beach on the property is kept clean by the staff. Michelle is gracious and helpful, and Hugo is a great cook, a knowledgeable birder, and an all-around efficient host.
Negatives: walk two meters off the property in either direction on the beach and trash is everywhere. It washes up from islands elsewhere in the Caribbean, apparently. It's disheartening to say the least.
Much has been written in other comments about Dan, the owner, and much is very positive. We couldn't figure it out. He offers advice when asked but acts as if it's a hassle. He sits often with guests in the restaurant palapa but talks mostly about himself. His second favorite topic is tequila. He seems to be tired of running a business.
This place is not an eco-resort. Not by a long shot. Yes they use solar, but that's because it's cheaper than running a generator. There's almost no composting, for example. All food and water is trucked in from other parts of Yucatan.
The reef is not healthy despite what the web site says. And it's hundreds of meters from the shoreline – enough that even with a moderate wind the sea is rough getting there. Don't go for the snorkeling. We did. It's not worth it.
The road is as bad as everyone says it is, although apparently that depends on how much rain they've had and how long ago it was graded. Be prepared for a bone-jarring trip. And if there is a thunderstorm while you're there, you may not get out in a sedan for a day or so.
On balance, we enjoyed ourselves because it was a new experience. We were comfortable, we walked a lot, we swam, we ate well, and sun and surf are always nice. But it isn't worth returning to in our view.

1  Thank JMB-NLY
Reviewed 11 March 2014

There are vacations and then there are experiences. Staying at Xamach Dos was an unforgettable experience! As we traversed the oft-discussed Boca Paila road, I was thinking "oh, this better be worth it." And it was! Being almost the only people on a Carribean beach is almost priceless to us. Our whole lives are busy and crowded. We certainly don't want our vacations t be that way! The scattering of other guests gathered around the table at night for drinks and dinners and shared tales of travels, books, music, movies and their lives. The people attracted to this secuded hideaway seem to be kindred spirits and there is a great camraderie amongst everyone that adds to the overall ambiance. The property is meticulously maintained, raked of sea grass and trash each morning. The food is delicious! The days are beautiful and the nights are so much fun! But, mostly what made this place so special was the people! We left feeling like we had made friends out there in the world. Dan, Hugo, Ron and Cami were so warm, friendly and fun that we didn't feel like "customers". We felt like friends. One night we (Americans) sat around the table with Canadians, Germans, and a Mexican (Hugo)--great, unexpected conversation and fun. We stayed in Secreta, which was a little hidden gem. The privacy was terrific and we had everything we needed--a bed, a full bathroom and a white sand beach. As the world gets more and more populated, little pieces of heaven like XD will become less and less available. We're so glad to have had a chance to experience it! Leave your vacation expectations at the arch and be ready for an experience.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Reading all the great reviews of this "true eco resort" got us excited about the place, despite the slow 12-mile drive down a horrible dirt road. We were familiar with the Sian Ka'an and we were looking for something different, off the beaten path, so we didn't mind the drive.
Upon arrival we were greeted by loud American music and three (also loud) drunken men at the bar, including our host Dan, whose first slurred words to us were: "Who are you?" It was an inauspicious beginning to a strange sojourn at Xamach Dos. Dan led us to our Treetop Cabana that featured an empty beer bottle at the doorstep. "That's weird," he said, but didn't stoop to pick it up. The bottle stood sentry throughout our stay. That night Dan and his friends cranked up the music till at least 11 p.m., whooping it up to the tunes of ZZ Top, Creedence Clearwater and, yes, the Eagles. We felt like uninvited guests at a 1970s fraternity party.
Clearly, this was not our scene, but we decided to stay another night ... which was more subdued, but basically more of the same. We decided to leave the next day.
Here are the good things about the place:
-- Michelle, Dan's daughter, who runs the kitchen, was warm and friendly (and apologetic). And the food was terrific, if a bit overpriced. But we never quite knew what the meal schedule was, and nobody felt the need to fill us in.
-- The setting is beautiful, a really nice beach, miles of sand (though the plastic debris was disturbing). There's a kind of magical Mayan ruin on the property, unexcavated, that was cool to see.
-- The Treetop Cabana where we stayed was a terrific room, a bit funky and not entirely clean, but comfortable.
Xamach Dos bills itself as an eco-resort, but runs a loud generator during the day. Our main objection to the place was the loud partying in this beautiful tropical paradise. We cut our visit short and went up the road to a mellower resort. We had paid $150 a night in advance for three nights and asked Michelle for a refund for the third night. She said we should email Dan. We have sent him two emails; he has not deigned to respond.
In retrospect, we maybe should have been tipped off when we saw online a photo of the pirate flag flying on the beach. We would not recommend this place to anybody.

6  Thank SRSterling
Xamachdan, Owner at Xamach Dos, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

I guess the attitude of these people speaks volumes..it seems the major issue was an empty beer bottle? really? The people in the retaurant having fun were guests, and it happened that they were celebrating a birthday, they were having fun, something this reviewer seems to know nothing about. Instead of potentialy meeting other guests, they chose to hide and complain. Xamach Dos is solar powered, the only time the generator runs during the day is when wwe are filling up the water tanks, it takes about an hour. I was expecting 2 different sets of people coming that night, so asking which people they were does not sound unreasonable. I think they added the slurring part to make themselves seem more reasonable.
But, all in all, the last sentence they wrote makes sense..there is a Pirate Flag, there allways has been..beware,occasionally a party breaks out, it depends on the guests, if that frightens you, then maybe you should pick a safer, more civilized option.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Rustico excellence. Dan and his daughter Michelle rock, the food, the vibes, the ambiance, the scenery, the peace, the other visitors, all are awesome. I would not have wanted a different place. The drive is well worth it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Every review on here about Xamach was so great its what made my decision to book in advance. Which is part of the diss-appointment of not getting all the info i required to have a complete pleasurable experience. I'll explain. If you are on the loose schedule, easy on time kinda trip then this place is the gem ! Having a planned out schedule is maybe not the best plan if headed here. The reviews are correct, this place is a little slice of paradise. Owner, staff, food & facilities are explained correctly Getting there & back was the un-pleasant part . I guess it is my fault for not doing good research about the getting to/from location.

My first clue something was amiss, was the first 2 cab's wouldnt even take us and the 3rd one would for $150. I didnt get it & It concerned me thinking the cabs are scamming me , i know its a $20 cab ride to Telum from where i am and i know from the brochure and personal contact from Xamach that its only 32 km south of telum. they are the ones that told me i could get a cab or a rental car to their property. So the cheapest little car for $50 a day was our decision as we figured we could do telum area while staying at Xamach for a nice 3 dayer retreat.
What i did not find anywhere- that the road from Telum to Xamach is bad news ! the worst i have experienced in my well traveled back country years in Central America. While entering the road there is a stop checkpoint where you must pay your few dollars a day for being in the park and get the news from the gate keeper that the road is very bad and does not recommend it in our small rental , he informed us for the first time it would take atleast 2 hours and will be very slow & difficult. Dejected but paid full in advance, with doubtful refund, were going ! So note - It will take a small rental car 2 hours travelling between 5-10 km'h you will be zigg zagging over very rough rocky terrain travelling slowly threw major washed out area's, side of the road hugging through jungle where branches will scratch your car, you will want to get the extra insurance & coverage on the rental, however 2nd though - i bet there is a line in your contract that voids everything if taken to this kind of terrain. Its a seriously messed up road and should not make this trip in a small car. 4x4 - dream city ! That being said we had magical moments on the road, but stress was very real and unpleasantly unexpected on whats suppose to be a zen few days.

We forgot the bug spray thankfully graciously its shared among staff and patrons because when the wind dies the bugs are very bad. My wife had a lot of trouble with them, making it a bit uncomfortable for us both. But they pass and paradise is realized again quickly. It's a very laid black place, meal time is subjective. Find out your info in advance just so you know what to expect. But honestly i dont think it matters. with incredible meals 10-12$ and $3 beers and quality tequila - For the first time i think maybe ever my bill was less than expected and you felt like tipping was well deserved. But the fact that we had to forfeit our 3rd night due to road conditions and flight times was a big bummer. I didnt ask about a refund,or any form of courtesy. That would have been a nice surprise and made the overall experience a touch better. I recommend not having a outbound or inbound flight on the same travel day as checkin/out of Xamach unless you are prepped mentally. Im sure its done all the time, but from the airport this is a 4 hour drive minimum with half of it on a real rough one, with above average potential for flat tire/ car trouble.

They keep the property real nice for its location. If you are familiar with world travel and such destinations, you are well aware of the plastic/garbage on the beaches. It is very very evident here. NOT on property. The couple hundred of feet of frontage is very well kept daily and no garbarge plastic on this stretch, but its the only well kept place for miles - its sure a heart-breaker walking over that line either way and seeing it for miles & miles & miles of heavy thick Ocean trash. Our beach walks were more soul crushing then i had hoped for.

Our secreta hut was as promised. A little slice of heaven. Surprisingly very comfy bed, new mattress, eco lights and running water. Really cool. some wildlife in the cabin at different times of the day as expected. The crabs make their way in and up the screens. A black scorpion was found one night in the shower, so just stuff to keep your head about, it is a nice reminder where you are and that safety is important being in the remote jungle, help is a long ways off.

If i had a 4x4 and some extra time i'll go back and stay awhile. if they offered me a bit of deal, to make up for their lack of advanced warning of the journey ahead to get to property. As the owner mention part of the charm is the remoteness of the place with the road conditions contributing to that. Cant argue with that, I respect and love it, (just wish i woulda had the right info in advance.)

Room Tip: each cabin has its own charms. the secreta didnt have hot water but others did.
1  Thank kitch1970
14 mi away
Nueva Vida de Ramiro
Nueva Vida de Ramiro
#14 of 99 in Tulum

Been to Xamach Dos? Share your experiences!