“Bring a torch”

Cesiak Centro Ecologico Sian Ka'an
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Bring a torch”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is a great spot between the ocean and the lagoon. The bar and terraces have views to die for in either direction. We stayed on a very windy night. The bar and restaurant close by 7.15 . The cabanas/ tents are great but the candle lamps dont cast much light and if you go back to your tent after dark without a torch you might struggle to get in and light the lamps as I did. I did manage to borrow a lighter but the staff seemed a bit surprised that i might need one even though there is no light. Great for 1 night or longer if you bring your own illumination.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank tubbymctubbington

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

With my wife we gave each other the visit to Sian Ka'an as a Christmas present. We rented a Jeep and drove early mornig to the park. We did not have any plans just wanted to be in nature.

We passed by this visitors center and they had a tour with two other guys just going out. We joined and it was really worth.

The first part we navigated by the small boat between the different channels we saw loads of different birds. After the boat ride we had a walk in the bush on a well built boardwalk followed by a float in one of the channels. The float is not my thing but I had mask and snokel on so I could look around a bit.

Just before arriving back to the center by boat we stopped at a place where there was a chance to se manatees. Just after waiting a few minutes the first one appeared to breath then another followed. I wouldnt even hope to see them on this trip so I was extremely happy.

The guy talked a bit too much to my taste but it was still an amazing way to really get close to this very special habitat. Just from the road it is impossible to see what the mangrove really looks like.

I think everyone who wants to see Sian Ka'an should take a similar boat tour.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank beavisnail
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I didn't sleep here but I passed and spent many hours there. Cesiak is magnificent! The view from the top is incredible: there is the lagoon on one side, and the ocean on the other. You can see that narrow strip of land which goes from Tulum to Punta Allen. I suggest everyone to come here even only for few hours!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fedefoja
San Diego
Reviewed 9 May 2013

First the good: the beach and surrounding area is nearly deserted so you'll have a lot of space to yourself. There are palapas and chairs on the beach so you have shelter from the sun. There is wifi and electric outlets near the front desk. There are a few flush toilets available (the rest are "dry" toilets). The front desk will loan you a flashlight if you don't have one since there is no electricity in the tents or along the paths.

And the rest: you have to keep the windows of the tent unzipped due to the heat but the ocean is so close everything inside the tent ends up salty and damp. The shower are salt water. The hurricane lamps in the rooms are useless. The service at the restaurant is slow.

Go in to town to eat. I live in a city along the US-Mexico border so I have a good comparison. For an equivalent order at home, I get a bigger portion, it tastes better, and I pay less. The food is no less expensive in Tulum but at least it tastes better and you get more of it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AndySD
London
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have not written a bad review yet but i was so let down after a pleasant previous meal at Cesiak, I thought i should let people know....

The waitress constantly messed up our orders. I understand sometimes people make mistakes or just have a bad day ect. But her attitude with us even though we very politely informed her of her mess ups was very rude.

She diddnt know know what a Michelada was and diddnt bother to ask any other staff even though we had one on our previous visit. We asked for our dishes without onion, they came full of onion and she said rudely "where is the onion" which we pointed out it was all over 3 of our Ceviche dishes.She then bought the dishes back which were less than half the size of the original dish which was just literally thrown on the plate. She slammed them down on the table in front of us.

I think they were trying to punish us for mentioning anything. I would understand a little if they were stressed and busy but there was only 2 tables in there!!

After producing the bill she stood right next to us at the table waiting for the money which i didn't think was very professional or polite.

Personally I only give tips if I have a good service. So in this case i didn't leave anything. only for the waitress to shout sarcastically as we were leaving "thanks for the tip"

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shiv-on-a-stick
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stopped in for lunch only. We were pleasantly surprised by the spectacular two sided views of the Caribbean and the lagoon. We ate upstairs, not in the main downstairs area. The menu was varied and the staff very nice. An extra bonus is the ecological lesson in the wall posters. Yes, it was very windy that day and the sea was wild. All calmed down considerably the next day after an amazing sea thunderstorm that night...

Room Tip: We did not stay here.