Domaine de Rochevilaine
US$84
US$82
US$159
US$73
Hotel Les Deux Magots(La Roche-Bernard)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$98
Le Manoir du Rodoir(La Roche-Bernard)
US$108
US$77
Priceline
  • Bar/Lounge
US$80
US$78
TripAdvisor
La Croix du Sud(Le Tour-du-Parc)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsoverlooking the sealobster menubeautiful hoteljunior suiteexcellent restaurantsmoked salmonthe swimming pool areastone buildingstayed here for two nightslate octoberdining room aresommeliermenusspaweatherfrancebrittany
Reviewed 19 August 2006

My wife and I splurged for our 45th anniversary and were not disappointed by this marvelous hotel. The setting is incredible and our suite overlooked the water. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The public rooms, along with the restaurant, are oriented toward the water and take great advantage of marvelous vistas. There is an outdoor dining/cocktail area that is idyllic. We did not leave the property for two days and had all our meals on site. The dinners were particularly appealing, served in a rustic dining room with "drop dead" views of the water. The food was exceptional. One night we both ordered the tasting menu, which is paired with 7 French wines from different regions. It was a bargain at around $140 US Dollars and the food was superb. The next night we had fish encased in rock salt that melted in your mouth. If you like oysters, these are among the very best I've ever eaten and they are harvested within eyesight of the restaurant. The wine list is adequate and representative of the various regions in France. Overall, this is a marvelous travel experience from any indice you choose to apply: Location, setting, room, food and service! However, this combination does NOT come cheap, but it was worth it!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank IDGNBTT!
Reviewed 31 July 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2nights (8/9 July) on our way to Biarritz. We didn't have any problems with bugs etc but we had an ocean facing room which could have been the reason. I have split our review into 2 parts.....the Good Points and Not So Good Points.
Good Points
The hotel design is definitely different. It reminded us of Portmeirion in Wales. Lots of separate buildings some of which are totally impractical if you or any of your party are disabled.
The sommelier was very good and recommended a couple of excellent wines. The menu was OK but boring in choice for a michelin starred restaurant. However, on our second evening we had the veal for 2 which was absolutely gorgeous. The best we've ever had.
The spa facilities are very good. I booked in for a facial and it was worth the 55 euros.
The hotel is situated in a very pretty area with some good coastal walks.
Bed very comfortable with lovely linen sheets.
Not So Good Points:
Moving from building to building would be awful in bad weather.
Carpet in bedrroom was damp as though the previous guests had flooded the bathroom. Bathroom towels very small. Toiletries were OK but nothing amazing.
The outdoor swimming pool is in a lovely location but small in floor area and I imagine it gets very busy in warmer weather.
Dogs are alowed in the dining and breakfast rooms. Sorry, I am a dog lover but I find that practice totally unacceptable. Leave them in the bedroom please! Who wants to watch a dog cleaning itself whilst eating your dinner? Not me for one.
We agree with the previous reviewer that the "meet & greet" attitude you receive on arrival changes into a "smile it might never happen" attitude.
The restaurant service is hit and miss. On two occasions my husband tried to give our dinner order only to find the maitre d' had walked off to sort out 1) the movement of a chair to another table of french people and 2} to pour wine for another french couple. Appalling and very rude.

The wealthy French use this area for their holidays and we felt they received a different level of service to what we received. Bad mistake - especially at those prices

So, overall an unmemorable experience and the next time we're passing.....we will carry on going..........

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Jill J
Reviewed 17 July 2006

Stayed on 13 July; lovely place; I had a direct view of the bay; slept with the windows open; nice and breezy; very cool temperature; ;lovely ocean sounds; no bug problems as previously reported by other posters; no need for A/C. Bathroom was more than sufficient. Grounds are exquisit. Friendly greeting from staff upon arrival but quickly went to a functional snootiness. Restaurant prices are on the pricey side; I ate out after looking over the menu. I was in need of laundry: 6 button-down shirts + 5 pr. Socks + 7 t-shirts + 9 briefs + 1 trouser + 4 pr shorts = 136 Euros ($171.36 USD). Regretably, I did not verify pricing before.

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank TravelinJavelin
Reviewed 9 July 2006

I think this Hotel should beware that it does not overdo the 'additional facilities' and build ons. A fabulous location on top of the point. Food was very good, service very good but I think we possibly arrived at the wrong time. We spent four days here and three of them we were visiting the surrounding villages etc. which was probably as well because the hotel gardens were being completely re landscaped complete with stone cutting and electrical works.
Considering this is a world wide health resort, I was pleased I was not there to relax and recuperate. One couldnt stay in the rooms as there was no air conditioning, and to have the windows open was 'open season' to the bugs that bite.

The terrace although very pleasant was very near to the workforce and consequently from 9 till 4 one could hear drilling and grinding of the stone cutters reminiscent of the dentists drill! We had requested and confirmed more than once, that we required one of our two rooms to be accessible by lift or ground floor due to parents difficulty in negotiating stairs. This was fine, but at no time did anyone think to tell us that the outdoor swimming pool to the hotel was only accessible by some steep rock steps which meant that one of the best features of the hotel was off the list straight away for them. The indoor pool although fine is not the same in 28 degrees sunshine next to the sea.

On more than one occasion we had to park the car outside the hotel due to workmen's lorries, vans and various equipment storage taking up space and to top it off France were playing in the semi finals for the football world cup one evening and my parents had a note in the lift, could they please be in the dining room for 7 pm so the staff could leave early and watch TV. Er, hello, when paying over 200 euro per person per night surely we eat when we like. Lovely hote, good service excellent food, glad we stayed but out of the may Relais & Chateau hotels we have stayed this does not rank with the favourites.will try another nex time.

PS. I dont know how many times the Manager walked past us without acknowlegement but I dont think he was entering for the Welcome of the Year award.

7  Thank Time Travellers' Wife
A TripAdvisor Member
Thousand Oaks, CA
Reviewed 16 November 2005

We stayed for 2 nights in mid October. We were only able to book a standard room due to availability. The room was in the new wing (not an advantage) and was huge well furnished with a partial sea view. The hotel is as it looks on their web site. We ate all meals in their restaurants and were totally pleased, and the views are out of this world. We are not spa people, but the facilities looked terrfic and seem to be very heavily used by the guests. This is not a hotel frequented by Americans but we had absolutely no language problems. We had a similar problem to other guests, we were bitten by flying knats while asleep, nice big welts.

• Stayed: October 2005