“A gem in January”
Review of The Kilpeck Inn

The Kilpeck Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kilpeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Desperate to fight the January blues, we hoped previous reviews were as good as they sounded and set off in pouring rain. Met by helpful, friendly staff, classy comfortable room, followed by truly excellent meal from most appealing menu, sensibly priced. Had heard from friends about the church, which alone was worth the journey. However, if you have time, drive to Dore Abbey, just a few miles away, for another real surprise. We would challenge anyone to say they had had a better breakfast anywhere. Would like to return in better weather, as the area is also excelllent for walking.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We know Kilpeck for its wonderful Norman church-a complete medieval sculpture park of world renown in one of the most unspoilt and beautiful counties in England,but had never visited The Kilpeck until this year.
The welcome was friendly and the food was superb and the bonus was that we were allowed to take our wonderfully behaved Bedlington terriers with us-not into the restaurant of course, but into an equally comfortable part of the bar.
If you go for a meal you will not be disappointed,but make sure you do not miss the masterpiece just a hundred yards or so up the street!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bob2228
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

After hearing good things about the kepeck, a friend of mine and myself decided to try it out for ourselves. We weren't disappointed..

Gorgeous food at a very reasonable price, very cosy atmosphere and a lovely waiter!

Was worth the travel and can't wait to return! Highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bryony M
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed for one night at the Kilpeck Inn as a romantic break. We booked the Monnow room which was lovely: a huge bed, lovely bathroom, and lovely clean decor. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and had a very nice three course meal. There was a good range of food on offer at very reasonable prices. Great range of drinks too. All in all, a lovely break. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here overnight as a treat for my mums birthday. The rooms were lovely, clean and very comfortable. The meal was good and they had some good beers. Unfortunately our stay was a bit of a disappointment. It felt like there was no front of house. We weren't greeted with a warm welcome when we arrived or when we went down for dinner. After sitting in the restaurant for a while waiting for service such as a drink and the menu, we had to go up to the bar to remind the staff we were there. Overall the place was great and the food was good but the overall experience was a let down as we were not made to feel very welcome. Due to this, we won't be booking again.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank shrewsbury186368
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I can't blow my own trumpet, as I do not own one. If I did then I doubt I would blow it as the team at The Kilpeck are efficient enough to have achieved this five star amendment all by themselves - HOWEVER - My only criticism last time I visited was that the boss had to do too much work himself and couldn't spend enough time with the customers. This visit, there is a very capable chap called Luke attending the patrons, whilst the landlord can address the important issue of bar maintenance (me) and customer satisfaction.

As a post script I must add that I had the steak served on a wooden board with coleslaw and chips. It was simply excellent and I couldn't detect any germs at all.....not that I would care if there were a few kicking about as a good immune system is a definite benefit in these times of global warming.

I admit that I could have eaten more at the end of the main course, but rather than whinge about the fact, I simply had the cheese board. Hey presto.........a full tummy. The cheeses were at a perfect temperature and generous in amount.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Visited the Kilpeck as we were staying in the area and it was our wedding anniversary. We found it by chance and it looked stunning...I had a glass of wine, which after I started to drink it noticed lipstick on the rim of the glass.......We both decided on the Sirloin steak. It was served on a wooden chopping board which didnt look too clean, and was full of knife cuts from previous diners which harbour germs? There was a small basket of chips and a small bowl of beetroot and horseradish coleslaw....We asked for mushrooms as an extra but we were told they didnt have any suitable. We did get a portion of onion rings. Our steaks were chewy and not good at all. The portions were minimal and we were both still hungry when we left......We didnt have a pudding as although we arent tight with money we thought £5.95 for three scoops of icecream very expensive to mention just one.. We went back to our accommodation and had cheese and biscuits...We did not feel that this was good value for money, but the service was good and surroundings lovely..... Nice place to pop in for a quiet drink but would not attempt anything from the menu again......

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SomersetMolly

Been to The Kilpeck Inn? Share your experiences!