“This hotel is a real find and one I would stay in again”
Review of Chez Camille

Chez Camille
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“This hotel is a real find and one I would stay in again”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had originally planned to stay in Autun but the hotels were full. The helpful tourist office booked this for us. It was worth the additional drive. It's an old building with great charm inside (its a busy road but the noise is not noticeable once inside the hotel). All the staff are welcoming and friendly and everything is very clean. The rooms have character and plenty if wardrobe space and my bed was very comfortable. Bathrooms are good with a small bath and bad shower. The set menu in the restaurant was great value at 22 Euros. The food was excellent as was the very attentive service.

• Visited September 2013

West Lothian, United Kingdom
“Oh dear! Sad to say that this place has gone down the toilet!”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have been eating here for the last 10 years. It has always been our favorite place to eat anywhere in the world. Usually outstanding, it some times has had off days but our latest experience eating here was simple appalling. Kids used to eat free, but no more. !2 euros for a derisory offering. We were kept waiting 45 minutes past our reservation time and when we complained the manager told us that he had kept us waiting because I hadn't finished my drink. This was a poor excuse as I always take the aperatif with me to the table.

Portions were reduced in size, we had to ask three times for the carafe of water we had ordered at the start. The bread rolls which they normally bring to the table were slow on arriving and much of my son's dinner arrived cold. The French family at the next table told us that they were regular visitors and disgusted with the service. The lady told the server at one point "La service ce soir, c'est merde!"

At the end of the meal I asked the server if I could speak to the manager. I couldn't believe that he refused to come to the table and he only appeared when I walked out of the restaurant. He wasn't interested in the quality of the food or the standard of service and called the gendarmes telling them that I was refusing to pay the bill. The gendarmes arrived in response to his request but were very low key and wouldn't have even approached me if I hadn't gone to speak to them. The impression that I got was that this was not fhe first time that the manager had called them recently.

It is very sad that an institution which has been around since 1800 is losing it's reputation and values. The "gentleman" running the place used to he the head chef. He did a wonderful job in the kitchen but he is an appalling manager. He wasn't prepared to discuss my complaints and is ruining the reputation of this wonderful restaurant. The reputation of Chez Camille is being ruined as we had heard from other sources in Arnay le Duc and we will not set foot inside CC while the current management is in place. It's a terrible shame that the restaurant is being ruined in this way. Very sad.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jambomackem
Gainesville, Florida
“A culinary gem off the beaten track”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was expecting a little country inn. Perfect stop en route back to Paris. I was gobsmacked to discover such a culinary delight. The charolais steak just melted in my mouth. The dining room in the old greenhouse was absolutely charming and the post-meal visit of the wine cave was ideal for the digestion. You can't go wrong with eating here. It is marvelous.

• Visited July 2011