“A wonderful stay which exceeded all our expectations”

Estancia Los Dos Hermanos
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Zarate
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Where do I begin? We had high hopes of the Estancia after reading glowing reviews,,,but even the reviews couldn't prepare us for the warmth of the welcome, the feeling of being a friend rather than a guest - the feeling, really, of being part of the family. We stayed for 3 days and 3 nights.

We were greeted on arrival at our lodge by a blazing fire, which between us and the family, we kept going for the whole time we were there. It was just wonderful to collapse with a glass of good wine and toast and doze by that fire. On our arrival day there were quite a few other guests, and we all ate a huge breakfast together before heading out on the horses. Some hadn't ridden before, some were more experienced, and as for me, I have my own South American (Uraguy) criollo horses at home in the UK, so it was something of a pilgrimage for me to ride them in South America. All levels were catered for, with the novices staying to the back, and the more experienced able to gallop up front.
After an amazing open air lunch with course after course of barbecued meat, salad, and roast pumpkin for the veggies (myself included). Oh, cheese empanadas too - we had to fight off the meat eaters!
After that, another ride, then tea and cake, then the day guests went home, leaving myself, my husband, and an american family of 5. Later, we all ate in the ranch house, with plenty of beer and wine flowing.
Each evening I had an extra treat. Because I was a competent rider I was allowed to ride out with either Ro (the daughter of the household) or with Ramon the gaucho, to bring in the horses from the further fields. Sun setting, 30 horses cantering in front, and two of us flanking them, sending them towards home...I count these round-ups among my most joyful moments ever...I has SO much fun!
The weather was fairly kind - chilly but dry, so we rode every day. The last day it was just me and Ro, and we rode for miles, with two of the dogs with us the whole way. The rest of the family had disappeared - the other daughter had just had her first baby (the first grand-daughter) while we were there, which was a beautiful bonus. Congratulations Pena family, it was an honour to share in your happiness at the new arrival.
Over all, the experience was one of being given everything we could possibly want, by the kindest and most welcoming hosts. There were beautiful horses, great riding, a lovely private lodge with a comfortable bed and a blazing fire, There were the serene and attractive grounds, with interesting artefacts to explore, and there were birds and other wildlife - and not forgetting the friendly dogs. But most of all it was the Pena family, and Veronica the cook, and the gaucho helpers, who made it so special. Utterly magic.

5  Thank Niki K

Reviewed 5 June 2013

For anyone who loves horses, loves wonderful people and adores good cooking, or just wants an experience of being on a true estancia, you must visit Dos Hermanos. Ana, Pancho and their daughter Ro provided me with four and a half days of pure riding pleasure just as winter began to slip into the area close to Buenos Aires, but you wouldn’t have known it from all the warmth that these people exuded. And that’s to say nothing of Veronica, who can cook up squash from the yard for this non beef eating gringo, and make it into a meal for a king!
In the days that I spent riding, Ro and I took a lot of time with other riders who were often beginners, from UK to Americans from the Embassy. I was able to see how adept this crew was at enabling those who had experience to get a good ride in, including a fun gallop, and those who were more timid on a horse to have a more docile ride. They were excellent at building confidence in inexperienced riders, and their horses’ gleaming coats and strong bodies as well as their even tempers spoke to the care and love they receive at Dos Hermanos.
The Peñas made sure I was warm, well fed to the nth degree, and fed with the food I most loved. This included a day trip to town during a huge downpour when Pancho squired me to town and helped me pick out bombachas de campo, real gaucho riding pants, and a great cap, to take home for riding in Colorado. By the time we got back the skies had cleared enough to go riding again, even as the heavy rain had left ponds everywhere. Pancho helped me pick out my favorite fruits and extra chocolate which I shared with Ro.
The pastures are big and fun to ride, the horses pleasant, the saddlery comfortable. The one day’s rain didn’t detract a bit from my stay, as the rest of the time I enjoyed fuchsia sundowns and the fun of helping to herd the horses in from the far pastures with Ro, playing gaucho.
The Peñas are deeply committed to ensuring your comfort, and to making sure the experience is an authentic one. My cabin was full of character, well loved and well appointed, just what I wanted. No sterile Sheraton or Hilton, but the kind of place you want to settle in front of a fire to soothe your sore muscles from a day of riding and laughing.
In every way, Dos Hermanos, with their pickup at the hotel to bring you out to the estancia, their handpicked horses for your level of experience and their dedication to your happy tummy and sore bum from good rides, is a fantastic experience. Five stars, and I am coming back in spring of 2014. Thank you to the Peñas for a simply wonderful, memorable experience, I want to move in to that cabin.

3  Thank Julia H
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We spent the day at this ranch and enjoyed every minute. The horse riding was a great experience. The grounds are wonderful with all kinds of activities to do. What makes this experience so great was the hospitality of our hosts!! Thanks again!!

1  Thank Nathan H
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Lovely welcome in a very nice setting, not touristy at all. There were only five of us, the horses were perfect for every level of riders and I did some great gallops in the countryside which was a bit of a dream of Argentina for me.
Meals were plentiful and delicious, so the only thing I can say is thank you to you all

Frédérique from France

4  Thank Frederique F
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We arranged our visit to the estancia as a day trip from Buenos Aires at the last minute. It was quite expensive but totally worth it. The estancia is beautiful, the guys that work there are fantastic, the food is incredible )lots of it!) and even the horses are brilliant. Perfect for beginners or advanced. The pick up service from Buenos Aires was faultless. We had two excellent horse riding sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Perfect day out - highly recommend.

1  Thank colin1977