“Best life changing experience.”

Centro Holistico Akalki
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bacalar
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This place has a great amount of good energy. The cabins are very comfortable as well as very clean. We stayed at a lagoon cabin and we enjoyed every morning opening our door right into the lagoon. The food is very good at the restaurant as well as the service. The people working there are the nicest and keep this place with a special feel that no other place has. Great to relax, and spend a few days in a calm and special place.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband spends much of the winter in Mexico for work, and I usually fly in a few times to visit. He decided to surprise me with a getaway, and booked us 3 nights at Akalki based on the recommendation from a local friend in Cancun. The friend compared the resort to being in Tahiti, and assured my husband we would love it. My husband get's an "A" for effort and trying to do something sweet, but I wished we'd stayed put in Isla.

After our ferry ride back to Cancun, and a 4 hour drive in the Rain, we finally reached the resort. It was an easy drive down from Cancun, and we never felt unsafe (although my husband regularly goes off the beaten path when in other countries so rarely are we worried about that). Thank goodness for cell phone GPS's because we just barely spotted the sign on the opposite side of the road. We actually had to go several miles down the road and turn around.

Because I didn't know anything about the trip prior to getting there, I definitely was shocked to "holistic" in the name. After getting through the gate we made the loooong drive through the jungle (ha!) to the resort. Our first reaction was that it was very pretty....but dead! We were the only people there! Of course it was still raining, and upon checking the girl helping us spoke almost no English. I get that we are in Mexico, and we definitely try our hardest, but it was difficult. We were giving a solar light to use for walking around at night, but didn't think anything of it.

Upon entering our bungalow I thought it was pretty and quaint. Upon further inspection, while trying to find a plug for charging my phone, we discovered there were no outlets.....because there was no electricity!!!! We had not read about the place, so it wasn't until we left that we realized we could have sought out a plug in the main lobby area.

This is where the trip went downhill. Because of the rain (not their fault) we were beyond bored. We checked in, took a quick walk around, and then went to take a nap. I would have been perfectly fine reading, but as I use an iPad w/ Kindle app....I quickly ran out of battery and couldn't charge it. My husband is NOT one to sit still, and while we considered snorkeling or kayaking even in the rain, the water level in the lagoon was hardly more than ankle deep.

Finally we decided to venture over to the restaurant. Upon inspection of the menu we decided to venture into Chetumal. The city was busy, raining, and it was dark. We were out of cell battery, and couldn't even look up restaurants. Finally we ended up at a random Italian restaurant, which was okay - but the staff was very friendly. We quickly realized this area was probably not frequented by American tourists, and definitely caters more to the Mexican vacationers.

Despite having a reservation for 3 nights, we checked out after 1. The rain completely dampened our trip, and we found there was NOTHING to do there. I'm all for relaxation but there is only so much laying around you can do. All in all, I wouldn't go back. If you want to spend your days laying around doing yoga in silence this is the place for you. Overall I found the staff to be very unhelpful and overall disinterested in the fact we were even there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarlinDarlin
Centro Holístic... A, Director General at Centro Holistico Akalki, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We feel really sorry that you had to shorten your stay at Akalki, for been mislead. We really appreciate your comments: with your feedback we can prevent future guests what to expect. We would like to mention that there is electricity for the light and fan in each bungalow, there are not outlets, but that is because we invite Our guests to really “unplug” from technology and connect with nature and themselves; out off a 100%, 98% like the idea. We apologize for not letting you know that we offer outlets for charging cameras, phones, computers, etc. in the restaurant or reception, and you discovered it for your self until next day. We also apologize for the little English speaking personal (we already have more qualified people working in our team and currently our staff is taking English lessons). We thank you very much for the time you took to write this comments; they help us to improve our performance.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Akalki for a week in December 2013 as part of a retreat I was attending, it was a joy and delivered on everything that was promised. The rooms are lovely, clean, spacious and perfectly situated on the freshwater lagoon. The site itself is set far back from any road so one has the feeling of being totally secluded. The food was delicious and bountiful, an incredible introduction to Mexican cuisine. (and contrary to one review, I had two glasses of white wine during my stay, both of which were lovely and delicate) I would suggest that anyone staying there indulge in a massage, a relaxing way to end the day. Because it is in the jungle with proximity to water, you must go prepared with insect repellent, in fact they sell an effective ecological repellent on site. A place not to be missed!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen. We thank you very much for your comments and we are glad that you could enjoy our center and its surroundings. We are looking forward to welcome you again in Akalki to offer you the best of our service and a memorable stay. Kind regards.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I spent the first 2 nights of our honeymoon here. The drive from Cancun (total 4 hours) wasn't as bad as we thought. We drove during the day, was not scary at all aside from the tarantulas that cross the road half way on our drive. We never felt in danger while stopping for gas or driving through the little pueblos. It is one long highway so it would be very hard to get lost. Just keep a lookout for the Bacalar sign on the road. You will then see the Akalki sign on the left.
Once you arrive you will be pleased with the beauty of this place. Your overwater cabana is simple but that's the reason you are here, to get away for a few days.
My wife and I stayed for 2 days thinking we would need it to unwind from all the planning of the wedding but maybe it was a bit too quiet, so we would recommend a 1 day stay would suffice, 2 at most. There is some WIFI signal but it's not the greatest.
Everything is powered by solar energy. Do not take any open food containers as tiny little ants WILL get to them, and possibly to you! The ceiling fan is outside of mosquito net, while other locations have it inside. Keep in mind, there is no AC and this truly is a cabana. You get the camping-type of feel but in a beautiful lagoon location.
Restaurant food was good! Other reviews warned of their bland food; however, we weren't ever dissatisfied with any meal we ordered. I recommend the Cochinita Pibil and their Sampler.
Staff was nice and service at the restaurant was good.
Fair warning, the lagoon water can be quite cold in mid-September (at least for us).
TIP: We got bit a lot by mosquitos and maybe ants here. Take a strong bug repellant with you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

There was some confusion with payment of my reservation deposit through Paypal and Akal Ki canceled my reservation without notifying me, even though they did receive my $258 payment according to Paypal, and according to my credit card statement. I discovered the cancelation by accident only 2 days before our vacation when I emailed to find out if they could help me arrange a birthday surprise for my husband. Akal Ki said they were fully booked and they refused to look into the issue of the paid deposit. Not only did they neglect to apologize for the mix up, they actually hung up on me when I called and refused to answer the phone when I called back. They also would not return my emails, or emails sent by Paypal. Fortunately, I paid with my American Express card and I hope to get reimbursed eventually, but not with the help of Akal Ki. From photographs Akal Ki looks like a beautiful place, but I did not get the chance to see what the property looks like because I had to book another hotel last minute. Based on my experience and what I learned while I was in the Bacalar region, Akal Ki is run by dishonest people who are only interested in short term gain...and not at all interested in ensuring a great experience for their guests. Don't risk ruining your vacation by booking with Akal Ki.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank travelflowers
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We paid for our reservation before our check in time and waited at the location for hours. When we're checking in at the front desk we were right there informed that the owner had let the people in the cabana (the one we had paid for already) stay another night. They did returned our money but ruined our hole trip there! We has to drive back to Cancun for more than 3 hours :(
Even though the place is amazing I would never risk my vacation again at this location ever again.

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Anacriss21
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed for one night in this beautiful complex if you are looking for a place just to relax and enjoy nature this is the place you can use kayaks for free nice place for honeymooners pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: any room on this complex has a nice view