“Amazing!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Bacalar
Lisbon, Portugal
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The location is amazing! The restaurant is very good and have a good variety of things to choose and prices. The boat tour is awesome and so is the Paddle experience. Its a magical place. The staff is the nicest!

The hammocks just in front of the lagoon are the best place to read, relax and enjoy. The rooms were very big, nice decoration and really clean!

Its The place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am tempted to give Rancho Encantado a 5 star review, just because their staff is the nicest. Everyone asks you how are you, from the front desk to the gardeners. They really know what great service means.

We stayed only for 2 nights in our honeymoon (July 29 - 31). We got one of the front site cabañas, (they told us only this one has air conditioned, you won't regret paying a little bit more).

Pro's: The food in the restaurant is really good and prices are fair compared to other hotels in the Riviera Maya area. They let you use kayaks without extra charges, that's a nice touch! There's also a jacuzzi you can use.

Con's: I still can't find them. I am thrilled that everyone was so nice and polite!

Room Tip: Get the cabaña that has a front view of the lagoon & has air conditioned!
1 Thank Lilianaic
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is a fabulous place right on the banks of the laguna. The rooms are spacious and clean, the restaurant is excellent serving great food at a good price, all the staff were helpful and friendly. We only spent one night here but would have been happy to stay for longer. It is really peaceful and a wonderful place just to relax and unwind. We thought it was excellent value for money.

1 Thank G E H
Monterrey, México
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I read the other reviews for the hotel, I see that they review the Bacalar lagoon rather than the hotel, so I will focus my review on the hotel.
In a nutshell, Rancho Encatado is your best lodging option in Bacalar. I was able to visit several other hotels, and I think Bacalar is the best. Akalki is also very nice. Stay there if you want to splurge, but Rancho Encantado is a better value.
I stayed in the Jr. Suite, which I think it is worth the small price difference. The suites are located in a new building, are very comfortable and have a nice terrace surrounded by trees. There were frogs and other insects in the room, but hey, you are in the middle of the jungle. I hated the fact that the air conditioner is preset to a specific temperature. The thermostat is locked in an acrylic box that you can’t adjust. Your options are freezing or off. I normally sleep with the AC turned to the max, and even for me it was ridiculously cold. There is no Jr. Suite with view of the lake.
The hotel has also garden rooms and lake rooms available. They are old and rustic. The lake houses have no air conditioning. I think those rooms are thought for families as they have odd bed configurations. Stay in the new, comfortable, air conditioned, suites.
The restaurant is good, but the breakfast ends very early in the morning and it only serves drinks or food until 9pm. Plan ahead for your dinner if you are planning a day tour.
The best thing about the hotel is the Staff. They are very friendly and try to accommodate your requests. We planned two day trips with the front desk lady, one to a near Beach Majahual… amazing.. and a 4 hour boat tour of the lagoon … must do…. Her recommendations were great. There are two options for boat tours. A 3 hour and a 4 hour tour. Take the 4 hour tour. The places that you visit in the 3 hour are just ok, but the canal where they take you in the 4 hour tour (“los rapidos”) is spectacular. As you are constantly stopping, swimming, snorkeling, the 4 hours go very fast and you do not spend and uncomfortable time in the boat.
The hotel has kayaks and paddle boards available for a small rent.
An odd thing is that I had to pay 50% of the cost of the 3 nights stay at the moment of making the reservation and the balance two days before I arrived. This might be annoying to some.
Bacalar is amazing and it is worth the trip. Stay at Rancho Encantado in a Jr. Suite and you can´t go wrong.

Room Tip: Jr. Suites are your best option.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank RoSMR
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Was here a day around middle of july. Really nice place, absolutely stunning view. And good priced also.

The food from the restaraunt could have been a step higher which would have made it a 5 star. But I reccon most people would have given it a 5 for the food also.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Rancho Encantado delivers on all levels. From the start Isabella made us feel welcome and explained all the amenities including the free use of paddle boarding, kayaks and wi-fi.
My review is influenced by the amazing Cabana 8 which has it's own private sun lounges, hammock, king size bed and porch which provide a great view across the lake.. Put simply perhaps the best swim up room in the Mexico. (Guys if your partner isn't impressed with this room and location, you may like to reconsider why she is with you - its very romantic).
The food was outstanding fish crumbed in coriander seeds, a selection of local twists on Mexican favorites and chocolate and coconut ice cream.
Tours and day spa treatments are available and can be booked at reception. The 4hr boat trip with a swim / float through the rapids and a Mayan mud spa is a must.
The only thing that I can say I was disappointed with at Rancho Encantado is that we were unable to book the 3 nights before we actually arrived. The fact that this was due to a wedding party booking the rooms out is totally understandable, I am glad that we got the nights we did and would have no hesitation staying here or recommending it.

• Stayed July 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We are visiting the Yucatan for three weeks and decided to take a mini-trip down to Bacalar and Chetumal. The drive took almost four hours but the roads are good. We stopped twice to get gas and rest but mostly we drove. Be sure to take passports when you travel though Mexico...even mini trips. You can't exchange American money for Pesos without one! And there are some Police check points along the way and they CAN stop you, search your car and ask to see your passport. We had no problem whatsoever. Bacalar is amazing! That lake is incredible and it really is turquoise blue. We stayed at Rancho Encantado which is easy access from the road. Isabel checked us in and was very hospitable. We booked the more modern building which houses four good size hotel rooms with King beds, a/c, a frig, and a safe. The balconey is a nice size too. It took a while for the hot water to kick in, but that was probably the only downside to this hotel! We loved it there! We took the three hour boat trip with Captain Abel and six other hotel guests. The boat cost about $2000.00 pesos and we split the cost seven ways which made it reasonable. Honestly, it would be worth it if you paid the whole amount! Don't miss it! When we returned, both my husband and I booked massages. My massage cost about $44.00 american dollars and the Mexican masseuse they called in was great! Where else can you get a great massage for that kind of price? The massage hut is located on a dock, over the lake and it's neat to hear the lake lapping under you. The day ended with a scrumptious dinner of fish tacos at the lakefront restaurante called "Los Hechizos". Our waiter was Epifanio and he ended up being our waiter for most of our trips to the restaurant. Our room booking included a nice breakfast each day which we never missed! All the food was great and the restaurant is very laid back. It is the wifi zone too, so we hung out there after every meal and took our laptop and phones to check our emails and post on facebook about our trip. No one hurries you there which I loved! The restaurant is priced very reasonably too. All of the staff was very nice and helpful. I got to take out a stand up board on the lake one morning when it was calm and I was the only one out there! It was so neat, just me and the lake! They also have kayaks and paddle boats you can use. We swam in the lake several times a day and I also used my snorkel and mask. It was fun looking at the little lake fish and the rocks and plants that are in the lake. One day we drove to Chetumal which is the capital of Quintana Roo. It's a busy town. We made it down to the Bahia de Chetumal, but the water is very shallow for quite a ways out so we did not swim. We visited a nice mall there but other than that, we were glad to get back to the lake. I did not want to leave this place!!!! It is a wonder of nature. I can't imagine not visiting this place every time we come to Cancun! I only wish we had planned more time there. We added one more night the first night we were there...and a few more would have been great! If you like nature, tranquility and pampering, this is the place for you! No televisions or phones in the rooms or cabanas either! I can't wait to go back! Oh I forgot the big jacuzzi located right on the lake, where there is a ladder going down to the lake.....very nice!

Room Tip: I think all the cabanas are good and the more modern building was very nice and quiet too. Stay mor...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple