“Serenity Now!”

Bacalar Lagoon Resort
“Serenity Now!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was on a cruise and we ported at Costa Maya. I had booked a excursion with Native Choices to the Chacchoben ruins and then a private lunch at the lagoon. I had no idea I would be graced with such a serene and welcoming resort for our post ruins lunch time excursion!

As others have mentioned the road to get here was not the most pleasant, but when you pull through those gates at the Bacalar Lagoon Resort you are unveiled by absolute beauty. I was immediately captivated by the landscape and the generosity of all the grounds workers.

We walked up the stairs to where our fajita lunch with unlimited margaritas awaited us. We sat down and I was shocked when I looked up. I was blessed with stunning views right before my eyes. We faced the lagoon and all the windows were open letting in a gentle breeze. A server came over and took our drink order and shortly after our delicious fajita lunch arrived. The food was truly fantastic, from the meat and rice to the tortillas and beans. After lunch I voiced that I wanted to experience kayaking on the lagoon. Before I knew it someone was helping me get the kayak out and I was off paddling around the tranquil lagoon. After paddling around I took the opportunity to lay out and enjoy a pina colada on the beach chair.

It was almost time to go and I struck up a convo with Robert asking him about the property and expressing my interest. He toured me around a few villas and I thought they seemed fantastic for a get a way. Hopefully in the future I can come enjoy staying for more than just a few hours.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

If you're looking for an exclusive, purely peaceful escape, this is by far the place to visit.

Immediately on entering the property you are overwhelmed by its beauty and taken back by a wave of relaxing energy. Water is incredible, grounds are immaculate, rooms are spotless, service is 5-star and the entire time you are here, you're given the feeling that the entire resort is yours.

Highly recommended for couples. This is one of those places that will give your relationship memories to hold for life.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My friend and I stumbled upon the Bacalar Lagoon Resort looking for a quick escape from Chetumal to enjoy the fabled "Lake of the Seven Colors". It was about an hour taxi ride (~500 pesos; and copy the directions directly from the website-- you might need them) past the Bacalar town down a muddy, broken road that had us glancing at each other nervously but man... was it worth it! We arrived to a beautifully landscaped hideaway of a handful of Mayan masoned cabañas and a pretty great house right on a quiet, still portion of the lake. This resort is so private, it actually feels like you have the lake entirely to yourself and you might-- the area has been zoned as a national park, insuring privacy and preservation for current and future years.

We took a 2-bedroom cabaña-- 1 queen and a bunk bed separated by a spacious bathroom-- facing one of the lakefront palapas. The beds were comfortable with great lighting, fans and the option of air con though the breeze off the lake was really plenty if you want to sleep with your windows open (screens closed, of course). The bathroom is airy, shower water pressure decent, though I'd recommend showering during odd times of day to get access to hot water. They offer lovely little toiletries though hair dryers are a no-no to reduce environmental/energy suck and probably reduce unnecessary noise in this quiet little oasis.

The value is really great for what you get, but keep in mind this is the sort of place you can expect to go to enjoy nature, the sun, the views and the company of a good book as the most high-tech you'll get is occasional and limited WIFI. They offer 1-2 person kayaks, a couple idyllic postcard-like hammock and palapa set-ups and if you ask very nicely, all the Tecate you could want. If you're looking for a relaxing, quiet and simple getaway with a chance to enjoy the lake, this may be the place for you.

The cook is available in the morning and evening and does a mean fish fillet as well as a simple and yummy chicken fajita for non-pescatarians. If you require lunch, they'll whip up something simple if you give Aristead, the manager, a heads up in advance. He's a quiet, extremely kind man who will greet you immediately and see to your every need in the time we spent there. In fact, he was easily one of the most customer-service minded folks in the month-long trip we took through the Mexican Yucatan. The owner, Roberto, is a gregarious, charming host, a colorful interlude during the day or over dinner. He taught us about local flora & fauna, pointed out native birds, had us try out freshly cut coconut and was kind enough to make sure we made it back to Chetumal so we could catch our next leg.

The area has experienced an intense bit of rain for the past few months so the colors may not be as one would expect, but if you want to check it out, this resort is a perfect way to enjoy those clear, still waters. A word of advice: Bring industrial-strength Off! Or Deet product as the mosquitos in this area are not to be trifled with and our "all natural" bug spray did little to protect us from welts the size of a nickel. Those vampire biters even managed to get us through our clothes. Don't let than hinder you-- just show up a little more prepared.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blackorchid_v
Akumal
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I are from St. Louis, Missouri and have lived in Akumal, Mexico for just over a year. We chose Bacalar Lagoon Resort strictly on trip advisors reviews. What a pleasant surprise!

Bacalar Lagoon Resort is truly a hidden gem! Simply paradise! The resort is way off the beaten path...hence "hidden' but well worth the drive through the gorgeous thick jungle.

We were greeted with warm friendly open arms by the manager and the gardener. They made us feel right at home from the get go. We were here for a couple of hours sitting out on the dock and decided to inquire if there were any casitas available for Christmas or New Years, but I should have known. They were completely booked.

The Casitas are very nice, modern and emmaculate! The housekeeper cleaned our casita to perfection as soon as we left each morning. There is a fabulous view from each Casita as they are strategically placed on the resort. Each and every one is private and decorated differently. Couldn't ask for a nicer place to stay way out in the jungle.

The resort's gardens are very well maintained and tended to. The gardener is very friendly and has a smile as he works. He will stop and chat with you and you can see the pride he takes in his job. He does a great job with the place.

The cook does an amazing job! Our meals were delicious and cooked to perfection!! The manager made us Pina Coladas.....PERFECT!! They are a must have while visiting! He has this down to perfection! The food and drinks are very, very reasonable!! You won't be disappointed!

They have a great dock out in the water, a water pad out in water as well to soak up some rays. There are hammocks, kayaks, life vests, snorkel gear, patio and palapa hut to use during your stay. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway to just lay buy the water, listen to the birds and what mother nature has to offer then this is the place for you.

We will be back for more visits. We will also recommend to our many visitors that we have come to visit us, if they want a getaway from us, this is the place to go.

I did have the manager write down all four of the employees names so I could write this review without any misspellings, but of course I misplaced it. It doesn't matter, the owner, the employees and I know who you are and that is all that matters to me.

I will always go by the reviews I read on trip advisor after our experience we had here at Bacalar Lagoon Resort.

Thanks again for a wonderful stay!

hasta la próxima vez

Brad & Sue

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue T
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We spent 2 days at this very nice location, and had a great time. Unfortunately the lagoon has temporally lost its colors due to intensive rain during the last months, but it will regain its colors after some weeks from now. We were attended very nicely and the Mayan cottages are very comfortable. We did some kayaking and some snorkeling at this nice lagoon. The garden is also very nice everything is in place and decorated with good taste. Great to relax.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wabn
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 June 2013

They go all the way. The grounds and the rooms were immaculate. The staff has been accommodating in every way. Secluded, quiet, relaxing. Comfortable casitas. A great dock with a hammock and lounge chairs. The water is amazing (water shoes recommended). I don't know if the wonderful German couple works there, it was a bit unclear, but the gentleman was super nice and his wife is a GREAT cook. We had a party of 8 with us, and we were the only ones there and they took care of everything we needed. It's a little off the beaten path and not really near anything except small tiendas, so if you are looking for excursions this might not be the place for you. There is wifi and I was perfectly comfortable having a quiet night. The kids were usually wiped out by the end of the day so it was nice to unwind. This place is perfect for a 2-3 night stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NatashaCoolBeans
Moorpark, California
Reviewed 8 June 2013

What more could you ask of a resort than a beautiful view of the lagoon of seven colors, complete seperation from the comotion of everyday life, and a owner/staff who are more accomodating than could ever be expected. Caught between the lush forest that the Yucatan is so known for, and the rich blue waters of the lagoon, this location is amazingly unique. The staff is outstanding in their ability to keep the place clean and inviting. Robert and his wife are wonderful people in allowing us to enjoy their little slice of paradise, and Mia makes a wonderful companion while relaxing on the shore. Bacalar is a very reasonable drive from the resort and Chetumal is just a bit further, if you wish to spend some time in the city. Ruins and other great sites are located all around the area within a few minutes drive.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, and well maintained.