“A nice place to stay”
Review of Hostal Tiana

Hostal Tiana
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The staff is friendly and they have a cute cat that is going for sure in your room. Internet does not work at anytime, breakfast is simple but nice. The hostel has a great view on the last floor of Cotopaxi.
You can't have hot water everytime and sometimes you don't have any water.
They have an excellent "leaving pace", to meet other people. Kitchen is clean and you have everything you need to cook.
They have some tours a bit expensive (you can pay half price going by yourself).

Room Tip: take a private far from dormitories (they don't have sonoric isolation).
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We spent two nights at this hostel and it was nice enough if a little basic.

The staff do not speak a lot of English but try hard to assist where they can.

The breakfast was the usual bread and jam but was nice enough and it was good to have mugs to have the good coffee in.

We did a tour through the hostel to Lake Quilotoa which was good and very good value for money - I recommend it.

The room we were in was very big with two beds but the bathroom windows looked straight out onto the courtyard which was a bit odd when having a shower in the mornings although they were high up in the wall my Partner could look out at people - I am too small to!

It was centrally located and nice enough but as I say a bit basic!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed here before doing the Quilotoa Loop. The staff were very helpful providing me with a map for the trek and good advice. Unfortunately I didn't follow it all and had a bad fall on the trek near Insinlivi.
One of the staff in Llullu Llama hostel brought me to the hospital. A few days later a woman came into the hostel to collect me. She was from the sister hostel of Llullu Llama, hostel Tianna. This woman, Nora, looked after me like a mother for a week. She brought me three great,nutritious meals a day, got whatever medicine I needed, made sure I had whatever I needed and brought me back to the hospital to get check ups. When I had recovered I went to check out I was so sad to say goodbye as I felt so cared for by the staff..especially Nora.
The kindness with which I was treated was above and beyond anything I could have hoped for in the situation I was in. I and my family are eternally grateful to the staffs of both Lullu Llama and Hostel Tianna. I only stayed in Tianna and this staff create a lovely atmosphere in what is already a great hostel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Based on our reports we decided to stay here for the Mama Negra festival. We recently stayed for 3 nights at this hostel and boy were we disappointed. Having paid for 3 nights when we arrived we were stuck. Can not imagine how this place got such high marks!

Here are our comments and you decide:

Pros
Close to the main square
People thatr work there are very friendly
Very close to a good Mexican restaurant

Cons
The place is filthy
The shared bathrooms were gross. When the place is full and the bathrooms are getting heavy use they should be cleaned 2-3 times per day. Floors were full of wet muddy foot prints, used toilet paper overflowing the trash cans.
One toilet leaked and there was lots of water on the floor, trash cans overflowed.
Hot water? What's that? We had to either shower before 7 am or after 9 pm and then it was just a crapshoot if we would be able to get hot water.
The rooms were never really cleaned. Tons of dirt on the window sills and floors.
Our room had a big problem with ants crawling all over.
The left luggage room was left unlocked and anyone could go in and go thru you bags. No control what so I ever here!

Lacking hot water and being just plain dirty I would say go spend your money somewhere else

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chouliha
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Having been highly recommended this hostel by multiple people, I was disappointed. My friend and I were greeted by greeters bored lady at the desk, who threw some information our way about the Quilotoa Loop. When we went back later to ask some questions, the responses were blunt, and no further information was offered. This resulted in us having to walk on very inadequate maps.

We were shown to our room, which was nice apart from the many ants in one corner.

The bathroom was dark and dingy, with water pouring down the wall whenever someone was showering upstairs.

Whilst the accommodation was adequate and there is little choice in Latacunga, I felt it necessary to lower expectations of this place a little.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Elly R
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Good hostal! It is possible to cook there, but the staff knows great places to eat. Breakfast is included and is really great.
My room was great, but some do not have windows (just on the patio). It can also be very cold, but the hostel gives additional blankets if needed.
The cleaness of the bathrooms is ok, but it could be better, and hot showers are not granted!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Great hostel at very good location with friendly staff. One can cook oneself and use fridge, and trips are being organized easily. Most often the very friendly staff will speak very little English, so visitors must try and speak Spanish. And the shower was hot in room 3, but not in room 1... :-( Find oneself a room with working shower, and speak some Spanish, and this place is highly recommended

• Stayed: July 2013