“A Diamond in the Rough”
Review of Hotel Cotopaxi

Hotel Cotopaxi
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Latacunga
Hotel Cotopaxi
Ranked #4 of 15 Latacunga B&B and Inns
Delray Beach, Florida
“A Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Latacunga is an uninspiring city (especially entering from the Panamerican Highway), but one you get into the city center, it is quite a charming place. This hotel is situated in the historic city center across from Parque Vicente Lopez. It is a 15 minute walk from the bus terminal. The rooms are very large and bright. The bathrooms are updated and large. Hot showers are available, but I first had to let the water run for about 15-20 minutes for 'hot' water - what a waste! The rooms that face the park have huge windows that not only overlook the park, but also have superb views overlooking some of the city and the surrounding mountains/volcanoes. The staff is friendly and the hotel is kept spotless. My only complaint is the small internet cafe downstairs that has continuously running advertisements/music playing (loudly) on the speakers -usually starting by 8am.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front of the hotel with views overlooking the park.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank backpacker31

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Big, spacious rooms with lots of light and great view over the main plaza. Even had ample room for a table and chairs. Bathrooms excellent and can't fault cleanliness. 10 dollars each for the double room. Extremely friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Allardyced
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I only stayed at Hotel Cotopaxi because I had arrived in Latacunga late at night and it was listed in my Lonely Planet book.
It was $15 for a single room overnight. That's pretty pricey when you're used to staying in rooms that are $6-$8. This may seem like an insignificant amount to the normal traveler, but when you're on a budget and can get a nicer room around the corner for $10- it makes a difference.

They had assured me that there was hot water- which there was not, and the internet was in and out. The bathroom shower was pretty dirty- so the few minutes that I was in there attempting to wash my hair without letting the freezing water touch my body- I was happy that I had brought along shower shoes.

The bed was fine but I felt like there were things crawling on me... but that could have been because my hair had been standing on end from the cold water and then being in a cold room since it was winter. I didn't have any bites on me the next day- but I will say that due to the feeling of having creepy crawlies on me it was not a very restful night.

The next morning I luckily got up unusually early, because otherwise my wake up call would have been hammering due to work they were doing in the room next to mine.

The staff was really nice though. I ended up getting a highly rated hostel about two blocks away and was really happy with my stay there, especially since it was cheaper and included a great breakfast- which Hotel Cotopaxi did not have.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank zannapetite
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Really well located hotel with very friendly staff. While it has seen better days the price is right. Rooms on the plaza have great views and I was able to sit in my room and watch the fireworks one night, but they can be a bit noisy on a Saturday night. No problems at all on a Sunday night however.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Trysh S
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Although you could say that the hotel has seen better days we loved our stay there and even came back for a second term. The price was low, the rooms spacy and confortable and the service very friendly and helpful. We felt a bit as if comming to Ecuador twenty years ago. Especially one advertising photo of the hotel in the breakfast room conveys this feeling: It´s an old-style foto-montage (which has been accomplished without a computer). Last but not least I must mention the roof which is a perfect place to take photos of the three main peaks around!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank chaisam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latacunga
Hotel Endamo
Cabanas Los Volcanes
Cabanas Los Volcanes
#1 of 15 in Latacunga
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra del Volcan
Hacienda El Porvenir / Tierra de...
#1 of 28 in Cotopaxi Province
Hacienda Santa Ana
Hacienda Santa Ana
#2 of 28 in Cotopaxi Province

Been to Hotel Cotopaxi? Share your experiences!