“Off season? find somewhere else!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tecolutla
Hotel Balneario Tecolutla
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Tecolutla
Reviewed 11 February 2014

When checking in I was told I could only pay cash as their Visa was broken that day. (This turned out to be a blessing as we had originally planned to stay 3 nights but only stayed the one).

The room was older and had a great view of the beach. There are windows in the room that allow light from the hallway into the room so we were never able to get the room dark at night.
There was NO hot water, very spotty cellular reception and no wifi.
One night was enough so we moved on.
I imagine during the summer and semana santa, this place would be rocking but otherwise in the slow season, find a smaller place that would (probably) turn the hot water on for you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nwtfrosty
There are newer reviews for Hotel Balneario Tecolutla

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a nice, large, hotel in excellent condition, and right on the beach. I've stayed here twice, in 2009 and this month, and both times it was almost entirely empty because the town of Tecolutla is a Mexican holiday destination, so if one goes at non-Mexican holiday time it's empty. Near as I could tell, only 2 rooms were in use, out of very many.

Tecolutla is without a major airport or all inclusive resorts so there were no other gringos either. I imagine this is pretty consistent throughout the year since it's not on the gringo beach radar, has a hard to pronounce name that just doesn't roll off the tongue like Cancun, and is also not easy to get to, i.e. no airport shuttles with english speaking drivers that do directly to the hotels. The hotel staff here also did not speak any english. This would be a reason to go on it's own except during Mexican holidays, when it might be wise not to be anywhere near Tecolutla. The town has a lot of hotel rooms and we were told that it is full during the major holidays and empty otherwise.

Even though the town was deserted, this place isn't cheap at about $70US a night during off season (no further negotiation was possible even though it was empty) and the rooms aren't overly large either. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the windows face the ocean. It's still a Mexican hotel though, which is not a negative statement but there always seem to be little things that make one wonder...why did (didn't) they do that? All in all quite satisfactory with a nice quiet fan so we didn't have to endure a/c.

There's wifi in the lobby. There's also a large restaurant but we ate in town; review to follow.

I wouldn't make a special trip here, but if, for example, one happened to be in Papantla to visit El Tajin, it's just a short drive and is worth a little splurge to come down in the morning, lay in the sun, stroll down the deserted beach, and take a dip or two in the ocean....especially since we only paid $15US a night for the dive we stayed at in Papantla. It's not worth writing a review of, and I imagine there are several comparable hotels in Papantla.

The location of this place is 100% prime, right at the end of the road. We checked prices at some other hotels this time and there are some cheaper places further in on the hotel row, but the difference wasn't a lot, maybe $10-15, so I say, if you are in Tecolutla, you might as well go for it and live it up. Or if a splurge isn't in the budget, stay in a cheap hotel in the centro, which there are also many of, and walk to the beach.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Like many hotels in Mexico, this one is way over priced for the services offered. The pool was freezing cold (however I haved learned after living in Mexico for two years) never trust a hotel that says their pool is heated. We went during the Tajin festival/semana santa period so I assume the prices were higher than usual. The rooms are average at best, the pool almost unbearable and unfortunately the weather was bad leaving little for us to do aside walk along the beach. We had the buffet breakfast one day then wisely opted to eat in the small town. While this may be the best hotel in town, that isn't saying much... The best part of the stay was the live music in the lobby.

Room Tip: We had the last room at end of hall. It seemed like it could have been quiter than others but consta...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

For those of you old enough to remember, Bridgette Bardot filmed a movie here. It was the bees knees long ago. This is one of those hotels Graham Greene identified as having 'faded grandeur.' That is not to say it is rundown. Not at all. It is in remarkably great shape and maintained. The grandeur speaks of days gone by when hotels had ballrooms and balconies.

I read a review mentioning small rooms. I have probably stayed here 20 times in as many years. Twice I did get a dinky room because they were full. But the other 18 or so times, my rooms were decent, though not overly spacious. I've stayed there solo and with a friend and I don't recall the room size being a problem. So he just had a bad experience, which is sad. I doubt they are full these days, except for Easter week and Christmas.

The hotel pool as noted is beautiful. The beach just beyond makes for stunning photos. One night when we were there, the desk clerk, noticing that I am a photographer, took us to the perfect spot to photograph the moon just coming up, framed by the tall palm trees. The service is spotty, but there is always someone like that desk clerk to make up for it.

We went swimming in the warm Gulf of Mexico in the evening. That alone makes this an ideal location, since you can walk from your room to the beach in minutes.

I looked at three other options in town. There is a new, swanky hotel up the street and a newer, more modern hotel to the right of the Tecolutla on the beach. They all have their place, but for me, the Hotel Tecolutla IS Tecolutla.

Alas, while I have never gotten a frozen fish dinner there (like one reviewer), I have not been really impressed with the restaurant and usually eat away from the hotel.

Room Tip: All are quiet. Think nothing of asking to change rooms when you first check in if you don't like...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This may be the nicest looking hotel in Tecolutla, but I hope it's not the best. Granted, we arrived without a reservation, but that shouldn't affect the food and hot water. The room would be out for anyone even thinking about claustrophobia, and the beds perhaps Inquisition leftovers. It was like sleeping the wrong way in a hammock, and my back aches days later. The pillows were part of a matching set: equally uncomfortable. But what was particularly irritating was the lack of hot water, and that no one bothered to mention it. In fact, when we called reception about not having hot water we were told they would "send someone down," but they didn't specify down where. It sure wasn't anywhere where it did us any good. There was finally about five minutes of hot water at 6:00 a.m.
All of that could have been tempered with a delicious meal, fresh grilled fish - but I believe Horton's microwaved would have been better. Frozen fish at a beachfront hotel in a town with a fishing industry? The thin fillet of unknown origin had been fried, but the oil wasn't hot enough. The only thing worse was a clump of tasteless white rice. You would expect a bit better in a place where hotels and restaurants outnumber the people that live there. If location and clean swimming pools are your priorities, this one's for you. Note: the local aquarium is pretty well kept and a bit unusual. It's worth the 20 pesos. We went at night and were the only visitors.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, ask about the hot water, and check the beds and pillows.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Visually the place is lovely. It has a wide breezy oceanside verandah and the landscaping is beautiful. The front desk staff are pleasant and helpful. The sad part is that 'she ain't what she used to be.' There is a bunch of dead, decayed stuff in a display cabinet in the main lobby -- It was painful to try to purchase beverages (required a lock and key, a duplicate receipt, and a trip to the front desk). We never had a clear understanding of if or when meals might occur. The upside is that the place is huge and located in a beautiful area, and it was very quiet and clean.

Room Tip: Beautiful old gal
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StuartandDenese
Reviewed 7 April 2011

This Hotel is a little odd. Large and grand but no longer in its prime. It is quiet with cavernous unused spaces a little like being stuck in a weird Agatha Christie novel. The staff are not accustomed to guests and lack any real hospitable manner. the hotel itself is gently decaying but is not without its merits. a good location and a nice pool (needs cleaning however) make it an ok place. the town however is a gem.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robwombat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tecolutla
Hotel Santa Luisa Finca-Resort
#1 of 2 in Papantla
Hotel Plaza Marsol
Hotel Plaza Marsol
#17 of 30 in Tecolutla

Been to Hotel Balneario Tecolutla? Share your experiences!