“Not what it used to be”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Poza Rica
Gulfport, Mississippi
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I've stayed here a few times but it's starting to get "used". This is the first time I've had to say anything negative about this hotel. I had to change rooms 3 times when I checked in this time due to very bad stains on the carpets of 2 of the rooms. The handle of the desk drawer was hanging off and came off every day of the 28 days I stayed there. I waited for the room cleaning services maid to mention it to maintenance (as I guess she was trying to fix it herself every day), she never did. I don't know what she was using to clean the bathroom floor but it was always sticky and I had to use a towel and water to wash it away quite often. The water was barely hot enough for a shower but not hot enough for a bath. The worse part of my stay was that I got Salmonella food poisoning, confirmed by my doctor, and I hadn't eaten in any other restaurant for a week. When I informed the front desk of my illness their reaction was blank. They profess that if there is a problem they will solve it or the room is not charged to your account. I was charged for every day and every meal. Because the power is on a timer when you leave the room the bedside clock needs re-setting every day. The staff are still very friendly but I believe they "fell short" this time. Maybe it's time for a change of hotels.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool side of the hotel, it has better views. try rooms on the 1st or 2nd floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Colorado
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We wish to convey our appreciation and how much we enjoyed our stay on 03 JAN 2013 at La Quinta Inns and Suites in Poza Rica, Veracruz, Mexico.
The staff of the front desk was extremely helpful and courteous; we arrived there via auto after traveling all day and having our automobile break down. The front desk manager Cesar went out of his way to make sure we were able to contact our auto travel insurance company and he also acted as our translator as needed. The personal assistance of the staff at this hotel was also appreciated and there are too many people to list. We remember Nubia and Jorge in particular. Our automobile break down and unexpected stay could have been very stressful; the staff made the whole experience reassuring and comfortable. We would recommend this La Quinta (Poza Rica) to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I work on the road over 170 days a year, mainly in the US but some abroad. I know what I want in a hotel and what I do not like. This was my first trip to Poza Rica and stayed here on a suggestion form one of my co workers. This is new Hotel, the rooms are nice, bed is comfortable and importantly the Air Conditioner works well. I have been to more than a few nicer Mexican hotels where that was not the case and trying to sleep at night in a warm room is misreable for me!

The Staff was friendly, informative about the town and safe places, front desk staff spoke fluent English for those who need it, the resturant was very nice, reasonable prices for a hotel await staff also friendly and very attentive, limited english here but the menu is in both Spanish and the h and English so it is easy to communicate. The bar area and staff are the same. The pool look very nice but I did not partake since it was a busy trip.

There is a Mall close by, with a Walmart in it and also a small casino and Sams club is just down the street.

Taxis are easy to get by asking the front desk staff, and you can negioate a rate of about 40/50 pesos for anywhere you should need to travel intown.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a pool view, it faces the Mall area and is nicer than looking at a parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bart B
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This La Quinta Inn hotel on a hill was the 3rd hotel I stayed at in Poza Rica and my No1 pick. Just about everybody at the hotel including restaurant staff speak English, a great plus in this area. The hotel is close to a large shopping area that incudes a new Walmart.
The rooms are very clean with modern furniture but a bit short on drawer space, the closet is spaceous. Flat screen TV of a good size with American shows (English speaking) but no English speaking news channels. Shower is the walk in type, large and all marble. The wash basin is raised higher than normal making it very practicle without having to bend over so much as you do with regular hotel wash basins. The bed very comfortable but as mentioned by another reviewer, the pillows are a bit high, I like to sink into my pillows. The cleaning staff are very friendly. The restuarant has very high quality food and everything I ordered tasted absolutely fantastic. I would rate the quality of food at least as good as a 4 star hotel restaurant in the USA. Local dishes and a very good selection of international dishes too. All the fish dishes I ordered were melt-in-the-mouth including Calamari. Meat dishes were very good and the presentation on plate is nice, obviously a chef that takes great pride in his work.
The gardens have a view and are very well kept and the pool by the gardens quite original and surrounded by tables with umbrellas. A great place to relax after a hard day. There is also a bar close to the pool and some quite intimate seating areas outside for that romantic time, the restaurant will serve food out there too. For families there is a pretty good children's play area with swings, slide, etc. The weekend eveinings outside seem to get booked for receptions of graduating students, birthdays and weddings with live music and firework displays. The rooms are all well sound proofed so you shouldn't be disturbed. You will still have access to the same outside area too. I will definately return to this hotel for future business trips. An airport shuttle is provided.

Room Tip: Room with garden and pool view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Monterrey
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I recently attended to a business trip to Poza Rica, Mx and my client recommend me this hotel being brand new and with a good location.

When we got to the hotel I was pleasent surprised because hotel is in fact very nice and modern and all facilities looked very nice, clean an new. There is also a big shopping mall 500 mts away, and in spite of is not suitable to reach it by walk, just take a taxi for another kind of restaurants.

Pool zone is tottally relaxing, so make sure to bring your swimming clothes to enjoy what hotel offers. I believe after a full day of business, its the best to take a dive over the infinity pool, very well appointed.

Hotel also offers free breakfast and not only common "american" type. You actually have a complete breakfast to start your day with fruit, yougurth, juices, bread, mexican "chilquiles", scrammbled eggs, fried beans and so on... very complete in fact.

It's a very nice option when traveling to this part of Mexico... I highly recommend it.

Bon voyage!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Davicho77
Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stopped here on our way to the Yucatan. We had been on the road for 4 days and stayed at other nice hotels and one horrible hotel so it wasn't like we hadn't stayed at a nice place until then. But this hotel and their staff made every other place seem mediocre. It was comfortable, homey, lush, and perfect for us and our Chihauha. The staff was great. They made us feel welcome even though our Espanol was very limited. We will definitely spend a night or more there on our way back home.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Rio Vista Inn
Rio Vista Inn
#2 of 15 in Poza Rica
Best Western Hotel Poza Rica

Been to LQ Hotel by La Quinta Poza Rica? Share your experiences!