“Lovely village, great host, good meals, what more could you ask?”
Review of Au Coeur de Rennes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rennes-les-Bains
Au Coeur de Rennes
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We have stayed three times with Andrew, and I ashamed that I have only just got around to reviewing Au Couer de Rennes. The combination of the location, Andrew's great welcome and the food makes this a great place to stay. (Together with Eleanore's help and helpful advice.) It might not appeal to everyone, I suppose, in that you sit down to Dinner as one group but this really is part of the attraction. It offers the chance to talk to fellow guests (French, Italian, Belgian and British on our visits) and enjoy a four course dinner with organic wine. andrew can cater for vegeterians very well and accommodate other diets.

The individually themed rooms are also a delight and although fairly simple are more than adequte and clean. The chambre romantique coems recommended but others are also fun. Spring water is provided at dinner and in your room together with a kettle and tea and coffee.

Rennes les Bains is about 40 minutes drive form Carcassonne and well placed to visit the Cathar forts. It makes a good base for exploring this region.

As others have pointed out prices are very reasonable and our three visits - even though one was because of being stranded by plane cancellations - were alll very enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank TomSleaford

Reviewed 8 August 2009

What a charming place to stay in this beautiful area of Occitania.
The owner, Andrew, is the perfect and most considerate host. He knows everything from local history to where to buy the best "canard". The bedrooms have different themes, are lovely and clean. And even the most pampered teenager is impressed by little things like ta good hairdryer, the tv and the well-stocked fridge,

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2009

A very very very good small hotel with a special owner.
We enjoyed our stay very much.
We'll be back !!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2009

This is a wonderful bed and breakfast and Andrew is wonderful as well. We had a great time. He even picked us up from the train station! His dinners were amazing and the company felt just like home. The rooms were very clean and cute with a really nice view. I want to come back as soon as possible and I recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2008

Excellent little find! Loved Rennes and this little B&B. The English expat owner lives in house and will do dinner on request. We did not partake but the others staying did and all appeared to enjoy the food and the WINE very much. Would stay again!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2008

More then just an overnight stay

We are not ones that use B&B or Table d’Hote normally staying in 3-4 star hotels so it was with some anticipation that we decided to stay at Au Couer de Rennes in Rennes Les Bains .
We were on our annual trip from Switzerland to catch the Ferry at Barcelona and I wanted to take a couple of days to Visit the Languedoc
Like many others I have read Sepulchre by Kate Moss and became fascinated by Rennes Les Bains having checked Trip Advisor I decided to give the B&B Au Couer de Rennes a try
Our welcome was quite different than we were use to at the conventional hotel reception with Andre (the owner) welcoming us as if we were long lost friends. We were helped to our room which was spotless and very comfortable.
Andre showed us round, took us into the gardens and told us we could use the garden sit, relax and enjoy the atmosphere of Rennes les Bains.
We decided to take ourselves off and explore Rennes les Bains. My first impressions was that it was different than the picture I had in my mind from the “Sepulchre”, it was smaller more of a charming village than a small town. The Village is charming the Spa was not open as it was early May but the swimming pool was open and as it was a Bank holiday and it was full of people enjoying the first of the warm weather the river to had bathers close to were the hot spring water discharged into the river . The walk along the river is beautiful and I tried to imagine the characters from the Book doing the same my fanciful imagined picture of Rennes and the reality were beginning to transform into one place.
We stopped of at the Book shop and I found the book Rennes Le Chateau Saunieres Secret by Jean Luc Robin , We went back to the B & B and I settled down for a quick read of the book before dinner. Just a few pages into the book the author mentioned the huge numbers of Treasure Hunters that visited the area surprisingly it was not something I had considered that an area that has become famous for the secret discovery of Treasure should attract Treasure hunters. The book Instantly captivated me and one I would strongly recommend to anyone visiting the area. Also Discovering The Cathars by Lucien Bely .
We went down for a pre dinner drink and met our fellow diners four Italians and three Spanish., fortunately they could speak some English and we all sat down to dinner. The dinner was very good wholesome food with a touch of flair, cooked and served by Andre There was plenty of wine, and we learnt that our Spanish diners were in Rennes Les Bains to search for Treasure, never having met “Treasure Hunters” before we had a fascinating and exciting night of conversation. Eventually we had to tear ourselves away and retire for bed.
We had an excellent nights sleep the room was just a little cold but I think if we had asked it would have been put right in an instant by the attentive Andre.
Breakfast was good and being a coffee geek I was please to have a proper cup of coffee. Unfortunately we had to pass up an invitation to join our fellow Spanish guests to join them in their hunt for treasure, paid the bill which was a very pleasant surprise at €100 for Dinner bead and breakfast, and we left feeling we have had one of our best overnight stops for a very long time. I think the caption on the web site of Au Couer de Rennes is very apt :-
"Comfort, good food, and a warm welcome"

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rodney B
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I stayed at Au Coeur de Rennes in Summer of 2006, and I cannot wait to go back this year in the Summer of 2008. Au Coeur de Rennes is an excellent B&B, and it is an incredible value. Owner Andrew is a great cook; the meals in the evening are fantastic.

This region of France is a great place to unwind. There are numerous Cathar ruins to explore, the walled city of Carcassonne is nearby, and Rennes-Les-Chateau is just ten minutes away. After spending a day exploring the countryside, returning to this B&B for great food and great company cannot be beat.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank Kosair
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rennes-les-Bains
Chateau des Ducs de Joyeuse
#2 of 3 in Rennes-les-Bains
Hotel de France
Hotel de France
#3 of 3 in Rennes-les-Bains

Been to Au Coeur de Rennes? Share your experiences!