“We enjoyed it and would recommend it.”

Ave Maria Health & Wellness Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Tema
London, United Kingdom
“We enjoyed it and would recommend it.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visited for a drink on the way back from Labadi Beach and the setting was so perfect we decided to return for a weekend. We were not disappointed.

The deck overlooking the sea is magnificent and attracts a welcome breeze. There were plenty of fresh fish options on the menu, but check the size and price before ordering. In our case the portions were very large but the prices reflected that being slightly above average for the area. The meals arrived within 30 minutes (I timed it) and were piping hot.

The room (a double) was large, tidy and more than adequate. There was an almost industrial strength a/c which was welcome. TV was local Ghanaian stations - no SA sports stations.

The staff were fine but needed a little bit of warming up. They relaxed as we engaged them.

The only negative was the flow of water in the bathroom. The force of the water supply is often a mystery in Africa and this was no exception. The bath room was fitted with a large circular bath and a wander shower. It took an age to get a decent volume of water in the bath.

Most guests are day visitors who pay to use the facilities. The pool is very good. Visitors come as individuals, pairs, groups and families. There is a good cross section. It is true that to sit on the front of the decking you are asked to buy food. (This happened on our first visit and I was slightly put out but you can see why the hotel want to make the most out of this asset). I noticed the locals get round this by ordering the cheapest thing on the menu GHC8, and sharing it.

I am under pressure to rebook and I don't need much persuading. We would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you take a double room choose room 3 as it offers the best sea view and the small balcony is a su...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J11C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel because of a recommendation from a friend. The view from the deck over looking the sea was perfect. I was totally shocked by the amount of times I had to request service. When the food finally arrived it was cold. In the evening around 6pm I noticed rats running around the thatched roofs over the kitchen. I felt sick considering I had eaten there and hour before. Overall service poor, will never visit again for health and safety reasons.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Tema hotels

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my family gone to there as ave maria has located at good place but the services are very very poor we order for pizza and other thing but they haven't service in 2 hours. ...I must say in my entire life I haven't seen this kind of egoist staff and lazy staff. You can understand when a 8 month baby and 7 year son..screaming for food for last 2 hours..and we also so hungry. ..

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Naresh S
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I went to ave maria based on the high recommendation from my sister and what i read here.Suffice to say i dont think it was worth the hype.
My partner was very much disappointed because i had bragged about the place to him.
Service was not a WOW factor and their grilled meat was cold.
I must say i totally enjoyed the view:the ships decked out on the sea with their lights on had such a calming effect on me.
Would i go there again?cannot say so.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abena98
Oslo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This hotel is an oases in Ghana. I will forever choose this hotel when I travel to ghana. Sitting outside enjoying my wonderful star beer outside looking at the wiev was remarkable.

They may work som to get better food in the restuarant. but traveling to Africa it was much moore than I expected.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HansHansennorway
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

On our arrival as I love the view, and on asking to be seated we asked to sit by the water and enjoy a drink on a lazy Sunday afternoon, when the waitress asked if we would like to order food we advised that we would not be eating there today. The waitress then advised that we could no longer sit where we was and to move as she put it "overthere" and pointed to a spot some way away by the pool with no view?? As we had already eaten here previously we had eaten at home before coming out as the last time we had food here was not good. Firstly if your hungry expect to be ravenous by the time you get your food as it takes a very long time (expect an hour at least!!) and was very disappointed when it arrived. We had only ordered a pizza which you would think would be one of the easiest things to NOT get wrong but yep they managed to. Pizza bread was like cardboard and the topping greasy and lacked flavour and ingredients to be honest. So as the waitress would not let us sit where we chose we left. The view was not worth the awful service, and on reading other reviews I see we was not the only people to endure the bad service. So we will not be spending our money at this place again. Their loss as we would have made it a regular place for our weekends but we certainly will not be using ever again. To be absolutely honest we had been advised not to eat at this place and to use only for a drink as long as you didn't mind waiting a long time to be served or get whatever you had ordered in any speed, but I have to speak as I find and try first. Thing is we gave this a few tries due to the location and was consistently disappointed, so will be advising anyone we know to by pass and we have other places to advise that do have quality food and service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Paula B
London
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is the most amazing place from the point of view of the the sea - the restaurant is actually over looking the sea and the waves crash into the side - at night it is beautiful.

The downside is that the food would be fantastic if the service was better - we ordered fish kebabs and octopus kebabs - whenever you see octopus in Ghana they really mean cuttle fish which is also tasty.

We also ordered rice and shrimps - just as well we were not vegetarian as it came out with meat.

All of the food was stone cold and very spiced. 2 fish kebabs which were not brought, were given to us later and being hot were amazing.

Bottom line is location location location and worthwhile putting up with inferior food for the sea. The swimming pool did not look clean and was very cloudy.

Despite my negative review, do go and have a drink and sit right by the sea

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank DeborahELondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tema
Royal Nick Hotel
Labadi Beach Hotel
Labadi Beach Hotel
#1 of 93 in Accra
Best Western Plus Accra Beach Hotel

Been to Ave Maria Health & Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!