“restaurant of hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Marjorie 'Y'

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tema
Hotel Marjorie 'Y'
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Tema
London
“restaurant of hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

this is one of the few hotels in Tema and is always full of business men, oil workers etc. Maybe for this reason the management do not bother about service. On monday night, we asked for gin and tonic, no tonic, campari soda, no soda, no ice and when we asked for a vodka double, one was brought out and another glass of gin.
The reason for shortage was advised that they had been full on sunday and Tema was short of these items.
The bar was full of expats and the friends who were with me, said the reception was like a flop house with various guests sitting on floors, checking their internet etc. The hotel has so much potential but they simply dont have to bother because it is always full

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DeborahELondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Tema, Ghana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I arived in the Marjorie Y due to the fact my choosen hotel had their swimming pool under construction and I wanted to enjoy my first 4 days off since a long time a bit. I was already informed that the service level was low. But I had no idea how bad it could be.
1) Breakfast can not be made more simple then they do it...and with out any fantasy. Ghana has such rich variety of vegetables and fruits it is a waste that the managemnet is promoting their wealth in such poor way.
2) I know when you order a drink in a hotel bar the prices are alway higher then in other places. But since I have been in very upp class places like East Hotel bar in Hamburg ( an MTV kind of club ) and I pay like 5 euro for a rum and coke. I do not know were the find courage to charge you like 15 USD for the same drink here.
3)WIFI Internet in the room is not present . You can only acces wifi near the pool. They have made a password wich is good enough for the CIA.( lesson No.1 KISS keep it short and simple)
4) They know exactly how to (over)price all the goods..but still have not find a way to make the shower work. For 90 USD per night....you have a 5 star room in whole China& Vietnam with 10 times better facilties. In my opinion 45 USD should be the top for this service concept.
5) I arived back from being on the road whole day. I jump in the pool at 9 in the evening to refresh....Immidiatly some pool boy comes to tell me that he want to close down...so if I can keep it short. Pool is open till 22:00 according to the desk...I just wonder what he wants.
6) Offcourse each country has is own rules and formalities....My girlfriend sit on my lap while we are in the pool ( nothing perverse in my opinion) I was asked to break up because small children are around.........HUH...never heard that before.
7)I arived the last day of my stay at the pool..let us say around 10:30. My girlfriend jumps in...and I want to follow. I got stopped because you need to take shower first. Ok..sound fair. Walk over to the shower.....doesn't work....How stu....can you be!!!
8) I come for breakfast at 09:30...all food is out. No refill of sugar, milk or coffee bread. 3 waiters are playing with their mobile. I asked when they will refill. It was like I asked to make water burn....sorry in my opinion these people are in the wrong buss. Then I asked to bake me some eggs.....didn't know that this could take 45 minutes in total.
9) The plane of my girlfriend goes at 21:55 so I asked if I could use my room till 16:30 to have a shower and get dressed before departure...Yes you can for 45 USD. In not a 1000 years I pay 45 USD extra for this service.
10) In most hotels were I come you get a bottle of water for brushing teeth or to make a coffee or tea on your room. Here you need to pay for each bottle like 3 Ghanee . In my opion a bit overdone.

I am back in family hotel Crismon not further then 3 minutes by taxi from them. The pool is still under construction offcourse. But the food is excelent and less then half the price. My room is 3 times bigger and the shower with hot water is running perfect. My fridge is filled up with drinks of my choice for half the price as well.So with the good attitude it is possible.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank johan W

Travellers are raving about these Tema hotels

Abuja
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed in a suite and it was okay for my entourage. The room was well taken care of and the house keeper-Alice- is always punctual and diligent with her cleaning.The TV in my room has only a few local channels and nothing more. All my effort to be connected to CNN and Supersport was futile. The Air conditioner in my room was awful. The front desk was also beautiful and friendly but complaints are rarely attended to. The swimming pool is neat and well kept while I find the location of the restaurant breath taking. The quality of the food and service is very good. The service is very slow. All in all, I enjoyed my stay but there is a lot of room for improvement in service.

Room Tip: Corner Suites are better. Dont give your clothes to the laundry or else it will be destroyed.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Felixo37
Dallas, tX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

I have stayed there twice in 2011. If you stay in the economy rooms there is barely room to turn around. Don't expect to take a shower because the water pressure is so low that it just dribbles. The women at the front desk are absolutely beautiful. They have to be because of all the complaints that are never resolved. Don't expect internet service as it is not existent. Food is good, beer is cold. Rooms are very expensive when it comes to Accra prices.

Room Tip: Take you a bucket of water for showers. Small rooms beds are like concrete.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Jimmy E
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

You can see that it yard to be good. But as time goes, the quality drops: when it s'raining outside it s'raining inside (rooms and corridors); always something broken (lights, tap, ...),the internet connection (wired or wireless) is very bad; you Will grow white hair before getting your food. People are friendly and smilling but the service remains very slow. TV channels were working neginning if january. Since then... It used to be my référence hôtel but it is not mantain and has become to bad. I am now looking for another one

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank bahamut2005
Lexington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Marjorie Y is one of the better hotels in Tema. The room was quite small but clean. Our balcony looked over the restaurant and pool. Spacious outdoor restaurant area with plenty of room for privacy when having a casual business meeting. Food is good & clean, beer is cold. Service is good but the kitchen can be slow. Nice business center. They tell you internet in the room costs extra but it was in our basic price room at no extra fee. The wired connection is fine but the wireless is slow. The pool is big & clean, very enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank thursdayschile
SW England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

I have stayed at the Marjorie Y regularly over the last 4 years and have found it to be friendly, reasonably priced and clean.
The restaurant provides good staple foods but if busy an hour can easily pass before your order arrives.
If you order a Starter & a Main Course the two dishes may arrive together unless you make it very clear that there MUST be a time gap between the 2 courses.
A good chemist & other shops are within an easy walk from the hotel.Turn right at the hotel exit & then 100 metres on your right.

Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank PeterKSWEngland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tema
Royal Nick Hotel
#35 of 91 in Accra
Labadi Beach Hotel
Labadi Beach Hotel
#1 of 91 in Accra

Been to Hotel Marjorie 'Y'? Share your experiences!