“Pleasant (albeit quirky) hotel”
Review of Royal Nick Hotel

Royal Nick Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Tema
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at the Royal Nick for eight days and had a nice stay at the hotel. The staff was accommodating to my various requests however from a service perspective, it's clear that they are still learning the ropes when it comes to being a full service hotel. That being said, the staff worked hard to have things rectified.

I never experienced issues with the internet connection at the hotel and there was never a power outage / blackout. The water pressure was fantastic as was the air conditioning; the bed was comfortable and the same day laundry service (drop off before 10 AM; returned by 6:00 PM) was very handy.

The hotel has a well equipped gym that will apparently be expanded in the coming months; my one comment there is that sometimes they ran out of purified water.

I never swam in the pool although there is one. With the exception of my first few days at the hotel, It was under construction.

I would acknowledge some friendly and helpful staff members who were always attentive and went out of their way to make my stay a nice one: Prince (a waiter in the restaurant and bar), Raymond and Kelvin (trainers in the gym) and Sandra in the restaurant for breakfast.

Tip for guests:
> Make sure to double check your food bills - on a few occasions, I noted prices on the bill that were not reflective of what was written on the menu.

A few suggestions for the hotel:
> I ordered fresh pineapple for dessert one evening; when the staff told me that they didn't have it, I expressed my disappointment. Upon reflection, the staff told me not to worry...that they would get some for me. I was pleased that they went to the effort however I was really surprised when they served me canned pineapple, thinking that would be OK. It would have been better for the staff to have simply said they didn't have it; I would have understood completely. In the future, don't substitute canned pineapple for fresh pineapple without explicitly asking the guest first.

> Typically housecleaning would leave at least one bottle of water (500 mL) in the room (since drinking tap water isn't advisable), however on a number of days they forgot to leave it in the room. I would suggest that the hotel put a 1.5 L bottle of water in every guest's room everyday.

> It would be great to put a hook on the back of the bathroom door for clothing.

> Consider putting hangers in the closet; my closet only had two wire hangers when I arrived.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 4ILuv2Travel
Dino U, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear 4ILuv2Travel

Thank you for your kind words about the Royal Nick Hotel and the staff. I have mentioned to Prince, Raymond and Kelvin that you mentioned them by name in your review.

You are right, we are going to be expanding our gym due to very popular demand.

I have taken note of your comment about the menu prices not matching your bill, we have rectified this issue.
I have also taken note about the canned pineapple and have addressed the staff accordingly.

Since your last stay, we have replaced the two bottles of 500ml water with one bottle of 1.5L water for the single occupied rooms.

We will also be be upgrading the amenities in the rooms, and this will include wooden hangers and clothes hooks in the bathroom.

I would like to thank you for staying at the Royal Nick Hotel, and hope to see you back soon.

Kind Regards

Dino Urbani

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Very good value for money. Very clean room, nice bar area, good restaurant, free internet (if only a bit unreliable - but you have what you pay for)
It is not Movenpick but is as close you can get in Tema for a third of the price
And everybody is very helpful and polite.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank mariusro72
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear mariusro72,
thank you for the positive feedback on our stay in our hotel.
We acknowledge that WiFi is still not as reliable as it should be, despite a number of measures like change of provider and adding equipment etc. It should be noted that presently there are problems with telecommunication providers all over Ghana and the problem is not entirely in our hands. It affects all companies and hotels up to some extend. We will keep on working on it until the situation has improved.
You really hit the nail on the head with your remark comparing us to high priced hotels in Accra; thanks! There is no need living in a hotel in Accra and paying 2-3 the price when you have business in Tema and you also save time-consuming car-trips twice a day when you stay with us. I will commend our staff on their helpful and polite attitude.
Looking forward to welcome you in our hotel again.

Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week on business and enjoyed it very much. I have no doubt that it is probably the best hotel in Tema. Having read some of the other reviews I understand at least some of the negative posts. The rooms are missing some things as previously pointed out, this doesn't really mean African art. It is missing a "Hotel Directory" ( facilities, opening times, room service menu etc). The stationary should be more than a few pages and a pen ( for me this is not a problem as I would not use the stationary in a hotel), as those that would use this would want proper stationary. There is a kettle buried in the back of the press, I would move this to the desk and add a few tea bags and coffee sachets etc, then it becomes a tea making facility. This is what people mean when they say that there are some things missing.

The food is nice, but a little limited. However the table cloths were often dirty in the restaurant. I think that this is more than likely the type of table cloths, as they seem to stain easily.

The wifi was one of the worst that I have ever experienced in a hotel, patchy is an understatement. Occasionally it did work quite well and I understand that this is being addressed.

I never experienced the bar running out of beer like others said.

I posted most of the above as I can see the management read the posts here, and I am hoping to be constructive, it is not that I had any real problems with anything.

For me this was a very nice hotel to stay in, and I think that some of the bad comments are from those not very used to African travel.

None of the issues that I experienced were enough to put me off another stay. And best of all, the staff were amazing, more than enough to compensate for any minor issues.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Bob B
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Bob,
we thank you for your truly constructive review.
We are surely far from perfect but really appreciate your statement about or staff, since I emphasize on truly caring service as the key to long term success. Our motto is "because we care!" and our staff has really embodied the spirit.
We have recently removed the initial full hotel stationery and replaced it with a basic hotel notepad, as the stationery was mis-used by strangers to write letters and statements in the name of the hotel. A new special "guest-"letterhead is under development to solve the issue.
The WIFI has surely been our biggest headache in recent weeks and we are fully aware of the importance for our guests. We have already switched from Vodafone to a more reliable provider with more dedicated bandwidth and this resulted in some improvement. At this very moment we are running a full action plan which should solve the issue once and for all.This includes adding more access points, installing repeaters, replacing switches and routers, relocating access points and completely re-configuring the whole setup of the system. As per 16th of June there is already considerable improvement (confirmed by our guests) and we expect to be finished with the whole project latest by the 20th of June.
We will add trays with cups, tea, coffee, sugar etc. to the existing kettle within the coming 2 weeks.
I agree with your opinion on the table-cloths and we are looking into alternatives. The menu will be revised as we have recently employed a new Executive Chef with international background.
Thanks again for your review and be assured that we are working hard to be considered an international standard hotel and not just a "nice local hotel"

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Spent four nights on business travel. Good place I must say. Feel the essence from the pool side with cool filtered music. Artificial water sound from the created water fountain. Tasty meals and drinks. If you a vegeterian be sure you will get the best here. Lots of chinese atmosphere to make you feel Shangai while in Accra. Room is ok, bed is comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The food here is generally of good quality but the wait can be hit and miss.One evening I had to wait more than an hour between finishing my starter and receiving my main course, everyone else in the group had finished and left before mine was delivered and it wasn't busy. 2 hours for room service yesterday and it was only a cheeseburger. Workmen in adjoining rooms are too noisy for 6.00 AM, The bar keeps running out of beer (local). Trouble is, it's still the best option here.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty good quality.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Borosmac
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear Borosmac,
thank you for your comments on our hotel which show us points of improvement.
It is certainly unacceptable that you had to wait long for your meal to arrive and at this point I can only sincerely apologize for what happened.
This should be a thing of the past as we have taken action within kitchen & service and are closely monitoring service times.
The problem with the local beer is similarly embarrassing but our supplier has let us down badly. We have changed supplier and increased our stocks in outlets and stores so it will not happen again. Internal communications and follow-up regarding missing items is also being improved.
Instructions to our security & maintenance department regarding avoiding noise before 7.30 AM have been renewed as it seems that a noisy contractor did not stick to the instructions during your stay.
Your comments have been very helpful and I hope you will return not just because "there is nothing better" but because you appreciate our service.
Looking forward to meet you during your next stay.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel twice and I must say I had a great time. There were a few hitches though but didnt make my stay less great.

Service is excellent. I totally enjoyed breakfast too. I was happy to notice on my second visit that you now have a high chair for kids.
Staff were not too friendly first time I was there but my impression changed on my next visit.
George- housekeeping was at his service best and so was George at the front desk. Ousman is also another pleasant lad and is the one who influenced my decision to stay because of his excellent sale of the hotel to me on the Telephone. Alberta was always full of welcoming smiles.
The odd one out at the front desk is Akosua. Overly 'professional' which turns out as very unfriendly and wouldn't even as much ask if you enjoyed your stay or offer help or ask how you are doing if she sights you in the lobby.
I even once overheard her telling a customer bluntly she didnt remember him. She obviously needs a customer service refresher.
Albert was exceptional and so is the tall friendly doorman.

Since there aren't any great hotels in tema Royal Nick does stand out tall.

P.S is the bath tub really the only difference between the deluxe and standard rooms?
Would be great if you placed some stationery and a tea service tray in the room for those of us who would enjoy a night cap.

Thanks royal nick.

Good job

• Stayed: April 2013
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Gbese,
thank you for your comments on our hotel which will help us to improve our product.
We are happy that you experienced a good service, since it is the most important factor for a pleasant stay. It is unfortunate that you experienced Akusua as "overly professional" as she is generally a smart and friendly person; my apologies. It will be addressed in the upcoming guest-care training.
Apart from the bathtub, all Deluxe Rooms have a balcony, a larger bathroom and are more spacious than the Standard Rooms.
We already have the kettles on site and will be fitting the rooms with the coffee-tea-maker soon. You'll find stationery in your room as well upon your next visit.
Looking forward meeting you in person on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Decided to lodge at the Royal Nick hotel this time around due mainly to the excellent reviews it has received. Can't say i was very impressed though. Maybe my expectations were too high but the rooms were average and much more could be done to enhance their appearance. The elevator took forever to get to my floor and i actually had to take the stairs on subsequent occasions. Food service was not so bad. Did not try their pool though. Didnt look so inviting once i got closer to it.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Hamilton107
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Hamilton,
I appreciate your comments on our hotel, even though you are "not so impressed".
You are surely right that the elevator was slow, and I started using the stairs myself recently for the same reason. I am happy to say that we have just installed new switches today (really true, even if it sounds like an unbelievable coincidence) and both lifts work perfectly now.
We are in the process of giving the hotel final touches and are currently fitting the rooms with some African Art, so it will appeal to you upon your next visit.
I am sorry that the pool was "not inviting" to you, but it is new, in a technical perfect condition and popular with in-house guests and visitors.
Looking forward to meet you upon you next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tema
Crismon Hotel
Villa Monticello
Villa Monticello
#5 of 90 in Accra
Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra

Been to Royal Nick Hotel? Share your experiences!