“CONFERENCE”

Royal Nick Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tema
“CONFERENCE”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

As the Marketing Manager responsible for GOIL TEMA ZONE, I was looking for a good venue to have a meeting with my Fuel Station Managers from three regions in the country. Proximity was key.
I got stuck along way until my kids sighted your billboard.
I quitely decided this was it. I then detailed a team member to check it out.
We finally organised the meeting yesterday. Services were excellent. George Emil was very great and other staff friendly Everyone was happy.
I must say Tema now has a hotel of the same repute as the major ones in Accra. I no longer have to travel to Accra just to have meeting/ Conferences with my Fuel Station Managers. The Chef's choice for the day was also excellent. I also got a tour of the facility and I'm surely coming back. No more Accra trips.
THANK YOU ROYAL NICK HOTEL.

ANNE JUDITH AGBODO
ZONAL MARKETING MANAGER
GOIL- TEMA

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne A
DinoUrbani, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Ms. Anne Agbodo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am pleased to see that you were pleased with our facility and staff, with a special mention of George.

It is a absolute pleasure that we could be of service to you.

Yours Sincerely

Dino Urbani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We are expats and local in the community and put people in hotels all the time being a maritime agency. This is a good place to come for a drink and possibly stay but do not expect good service in the evenings as far as food is concerned. This is not the first time that we have experienced problems. A typical example would be a few days ago a colleague of mine ordered a tuna sandwich in the bar and it took one hour to get there. Last night I took five guests for dinner. Service in the bar was excellent with good drinks except the minute we asked to sit outside and for them to prepare a table everything started falling down. For six people they put two extra chairs around a four seater table. Menus were given but we had to look for a waitress to give an order. She was most offhand. 90 minutes later the food had not arrived despite having asked three times. Three orders then came out of chicken Kiev all of which was stone cold. I went to the reception desk and asked the receptionist to call the manager. He was called and when he heard of the problem he asked for this to be referred to the duty manager. John the duty manager came and under very difficult circumstances he was charming polite and tried to explain to us the problem. At that stage the fourth meal arrived which was hot. My own meal came and it was the wrong order and the waitress who took the order really couldn't have cared. The final order for the person who we were trying to give a good time as she was leaving for Greece had to be taken home as we had all finished our order. We are told that it is a lack of staff and that new staff have been recruited. I took exception to the fact that the South African manager refused to come down. I took exception to the receptionist calling the duty manager and saying "these expats.... " The hotel is trading on being definitely the best in the area but with terrible service as far as the restaurant is concerned. This was further shown during the period when the Christmas tree lights were switched on and a buffet was served. Total shambles. So if you want to have a drink okay but don't expect in the immediate future any good service as far as food is concerned unless you stick to the Buffet only. It is such a pity as they have a great product and with the right management and with management that cared it would be better than many hotels in Accra. I do however commend John and his excellent efforts to try and salvage the situation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DinoUrbani, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Deborah E London
Thank you for your honest review on your experience at the Royal Nick Hotel. I would firstly like to offer a sincere apology for the entire incident as described in your story.

As General Manager of the hotel, I try to deal with all guest-related issues personally, but on that particular evening I was unable to attend in person at that time and so referred you immediately to the manager on duty.

As guest service is the focus of both me and my staff, I am taking this review very seriously. Both the attitude of the receptionist and the food service issues are not acceptable, and I am, in conjunction with my management team, putting in place measures to ensure that both issues are effectively addressed. Improvement of service delivery and with particular food service has been my focus since I joined the hotel, and is an ongoing process.

I have tried to secure your contact details as I would like to speak to you in person, but have been unable to do so. If you could email me at gm@royalnickhotel.com and let me have a phone number, I would like to give you a call regarding the whole matter.

I do ask that you give us another opportunity to prove ourselves, and ask you to feel free to contact me personally at any time.
Yours sincerely

Snaith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

There is now a new chief in place and the menu is being improved. The food is of a good standard. House keeping is now first class with rooms cleaned to suit your schedule. Friendly service throughout, from hotel manager to cleaners. After stopping at all other options the Royal Nick is still the best option in Tema. Alcohol could be cheaper ?.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
DinoUrbani, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Chris

Thank you for taking the time to right this review. I am happy to hear that you find our new menu and food of a good standard. Myself and the staff of the Royal Nick Hotel try everyday to improve the standards of the hotel for our guests, I am happy to see that it is paying off.

As far as the prices for the Alcohol is concerned, the vat has increased in Ghana and all hour prices are vat included, but I will definitely look into it.

once again, thank you for your positive feedback.

Colorado
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I tend to agree with other reviewers, this is the best place in Tema. The rooms are decent and the power and hot water work most of the time. The staff is friendly. The place feels clean and safe. The breakfast is good and the staff in the mornings are very nice. Keep you expectations in check - this is Ghana after all - and you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Be sure the door locks. Several rooms have misaligned doors and the don't lock without a lot of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dino U, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Tabernash Colorado

Thank you for your positive feedback. I definitely investigate the issue with the doors that are not aligned.

Thank you for staying at the Royal Nick Hotel. we hope to see you back soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at the Royal Nick for eight days and had a nice stay at the hotel. The staff was accommodating to my various requests however from a service perspective, it's clear that they are still learning the ropes when it comes to being a full service hotel. That being said, the staff worked hard to have things rectified.

I never experienced issues with the internet connection at the hotel and there was never a power outage / blackout. The water pressure was fantastic as was the air conditioning; the bed was comfortable and the same day laundry service (drop off before 10 AM; returned by 6:00 PM) was very handy.

The hotel has a well equipped gym that will apparently be expanded in the coming months; my one comment there is that sometimes they ran out of purified water.

I never swam in the pool although there is one. With the exception of my first few days at the hotel, It was under construction.

I would acknowledge some friendly and helpful staff members who were always attentive and went out of their way to make my stay a nice one: Prince (a waiter in the restaurant and bar), Raymond and Kelvin (trainers in the gym) and Sandra in the restaurant for breakfast.

Tip for guests:
> Make sure to double check your food bills - on a few occasions, I noted prices on the bill that were not reflective of what was written on the menu.

A few suggestions for the hotel:
> I ordered fresh pineapple for dessert one evening; when the staff told me that they didn't have it, I expressed my disappointment. Upon reflection, the staff told me not to worry...that they would get some for me. I was pleased that they went to the effort however I was really surprised when they served me canned pineapple, thinking that would be OK. It would have been better for the staff to have simply said they didn't have it; I would have understood completely. In the future, don't substitute canned pineapple for fresh pineapple without explicitly asking the guest first.

> Typically housecleaning would leave at least one bottle of water (500 mL) in the room (since drinking tap water isn't advisable), however on a number of days they forgot to leave it in the room. I would suggest that the hotel put a 1.5 L bottle of water in every guest's room everyday.

> It would be great to put a hook on the back of the bathroom door for clothing.

> Consider putting hangers in the closet; my closet only had two wire hangers when I arrived.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 4ILuv2Travel
Dear 4ILuv2Travel

Thank you for your kind words about the Royal Nick Hotel and the staff. I have mentioned to Prince, Raymond and Kelvin that you mentioned them by name in your review.

You are right, we are going to be expanding our gym due to very popular demand.

I have taken note of your comment about the menu prices not matching your bill, we have rectified this issue.
I have also taken note about the canned pineapple and have addressed the staff accordingly.

Since your last stay, we have replaced the two bottles of 500ml water with one bottle of 1.5L water for the single occupied rooms.

We will also be be upgrading the amenities in the rooms, and this will include wooden hangers and clothes hooks in the bathroom.

I would like to thank you for staying at the Royal Nick Hotel, and hope to see you back soon.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Very good value for money. Very clean room, nice bar area, good restaurant, free internet (if only a bit unreliable - but you have what you pay for)
It is not Movenpick but is as close you can get in Tema for a third of the price
And everybody is very helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mariusro72
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear mariusro72,
thank you for the positive feedback on our stay in our hotel.
We acknowledge that WiFi is still not as reliable as it should be, despite a number of measures like change of provider and adding equipment etc. It should be noted that presently there are problems with telecommunication providers all over Ghana and the problem is not entirely in our hands. It affects all companies and hotels up to some extend. We will keep on working on it until the situation has improved.
You really hit the nail on the head with your remark comparing us to high priced hotels in Accra; thanks! There is no need living in a hotel in Accra and paying 2-3 the price when you have business in Tema and you also save time-consuming car-trips twice a day when you stay with us. I will commend our staff on their helpful and polite attitude.
Looking forward to welcome you in our hotel again.

Ronald Stilting
Dunboyne, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week on business and enjoyed it very much. I have no doubt that it is probably the best hotel in Tema. Having read some of the other reviews I understand at least some of the negative posts. The rooms are missing some things as previously pointed out, this doesn't really mean African art. It is missing a "Hotel Directory" ( facilities, opening times, room service menu etc). The stationary should be more than a few pages and a pen ( for me this is not a problem as I would not use the stationary in a hotel), as those that would use this would want proper stationary. There is a kettle buried in the back of the press, I would move this to the desk and add a few tea bags and coffee sachets etc, then it becomes a tea making facility. This is what people mean when they say that there are some things missing.

The food is nice, but a little limited. However the table cloths were often dirty in the restaurant. I think that this is more than likely the type of table cloths, as they seem to stain easily.

The wifi was one of the worst that I have ever experienced in a hotel, patchy is an understatement. Occasionally it did work quite well and I understand that this is being addressed.

I never experienced the bar running out of beer like others said.

I posted most of the above as I can see the management read the posts here, and I am hoping to be constructive, it is not that I had any real problems with anything.

For me this was a very nice hotel to stay in, and I think that some of the bad comments are from those not very used to African travel.

None of the issues that I experienced were enough to put me off another stay. And best of all, the staff were amazing, more than enough to compensate for any minor issues.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Bob B
RonaldStilting, General Manager at Royal Nick Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Bob,
we thank you for your truly constructive review.
We are surely far from perfect but really appreciate your statement about or staff, since I emphasize on truly caring service as the key to long term success. Our motto is "because we care!" and our staff has really embodied the spirit.
We have recently removed the initial full hotel stationery and replaced it with a basic hotel notepad, as the stationery was mis-used by strangers to write letters and statements in the name of the hotel. A new special "guest-"letterhead is under development to solve the issue.
The WIFI has surely been our biggest headache in recent weeks and we are fully aware of the importance for our guests. We have already switched from Vodafone to a more reliable provider with more dedicated bandwidth and this resulted in some improvement. At this very moment we are running a full action plan which should solve the issue once and for all.This includes adding more access points, installing repeaters, replacing switches and routers, relocating access points and completely re-configuring the whole setup of the system. As per 16th of June there is already considerable improvement (confirmed by our guests) and we expect to be finished with the whole project latest by the 20th of June.
We will add trays with cups, tea, coffee, sugar etc. to the existing kettle within the coming 2 weeks.
I agree with your opinion on the table-cloths and we are looking into alternatives. The menu will be revised as we have recently employed a new Executive Chef with international background.
Thanks again for your review and be assured that we are working hard to be considered an international standard hotel and not just a "nice local hotel"
Kind regards

Ronald Stilting
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tema
Angels Heights Hotel
#21 of 93 in Accra
Labadi Beach Hotel
Labadi Beach Hotel
#1 of 93 in Accra

Been to Royal Nick Hotel? Share your experiences!