“A Beautiful Village in China”
Review of Heshun Hometown

Heshun Hometown
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Noticed some travelers seemed disappointed by a commercialized town found in Heshun. But let us take a fair view - are we going to let the old be old, or let them develop? I have visited several towns in China with great history, the Dayan Town, Shuhe Town, Dali Town and Gulangyu etc. But i would say Heshun has her own beauty. It is far from being developed. It's tranquility, history and peace would attract you, unless you take a critic eye. I spent a whole day in there, spending most of my time jogging, sitting back, sipping coffee and wondering in the rice field. I so much like the village and will definitely go back again.

1  Thank linandhui

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Must-see in Tengchong! Plenty of interesting houses, museums and overall great opportunities for walking and seeing the way people live in this part of the world.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Don't come expecting a true ancient village or small town that is untouched. The long arm of commercial tourism has reached here, as is the case in most parts of China. If you've been to the "old town" in Lijiang or Pingyao (in Shanxi,) you will be better prepared for what you will find here.

There are, however, many peaceful vistas and interesting historical sights, many from WW 2. The rape flowers/weeds were also in full bloom (late February.) They have had four years of drought in much of Yunnan, so they are not tall, but are still rather pretty.

Should mention that the famous library was closed for painting and minor repairs the day we were there. Of course plenty of jade and trinkets were for sale beside the streets. Only buy the jade if you know what you are doing.

It's possible to spend the night here in a small guest house; lots of choices. You need to speak the language if you opt to do that.

3  Thank ZhongguoKM
Reviewed 1 June 2012

When I saw Heshun in my recent visit to the Tenchong area, I wanted to cry. As a recent review says, it has been overrun with commercialization. I first saw Heshun 12 years ago it was nestled on a slight rise in a sea of rice paddies--and accessed by a four meter wide stone road. Its had a few tourist venues, like the library and the home of Ai Siqui. Despite repeated advice to the contrary, the government has declined to protect Heshun and its unique qualities. Now it is dwarfed by a huge four lane road and acres of parking and one has to negotiate jade stores and souvenir vendors to get to the town. I am afraid the government, but allowing a private vendor to buy the development and tourism rights to the town has killed the goose that laid the golden egg. One of the jewels of Tengchong County--dare I say Yunnan-- is gone--replaced by yet another tacky tourist attraction. Sure, people will still come and pay an entry fee, but the things that were unique about Heshun can only be found in the furthest corners of the town, where an elderly woman might still greet you with the traditional greeting, accompanied with that fingers-down scooping that beckons you forward, "Have you eaten, come in an eat, come an rest."

4  Thank Handmark
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Heshun town was the only site that I really was looking forward to visiting on my Tengchong trip but I was terribly disappointed. I was expecting a certain degree of commercialization but the entire town was currently overrun by trucks carrying stones and cement and there was lots of construction going on. New buildings and fake traditional facades are now being built on top of torn down old houses/ apartments and replaced by more retail shops selling jade. Apart from the couple of museums which we visited, I was at least glad that we came across a local make-shift food market where local residents get their daily produce. I am not sure how the 'reconstruction' will end up but at the rate that the jade retail shops are opening, I certainly don't see a point visiting Heshun anymore.

1  Thank Meowmeow6