“Wonderful horses, wonderful people, wonderful place”

Agriturismo Il Cornacchino
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Like the last reviewer, Jessica, I did the week-long trek and it was great! We stayed in the farmhouse for two nights at first, and spent a day riding in the vicinity to make sure our horses were a good fit. The first day included a delicious picnic with a fabulous lasagna. Then the next day we set out for adventure in the Maremma countryside. It was a great group with people from six different countries, plus our guide and two staffers who drove a magic truck filled with a kitchen, water, drinks, and delicious food. Every day they packed a great picnic for us, which we enjoyed after swimming in a river or creek. At night, they would cook up great meals (with several courses, and wine) which we all enjoyed under a big tent. Each day, they pitched our tents and got the camp ready. I cannot say enough good things about Maurizio, our guide and also a great cook, and the magic elves, Flavia and Alessandro, who made everything run smoothly – setting up camp, taking care of the horses, cooking, shopping, everything really. Grazie!!

After the trek I decided to stay at Cornacchino for another week, so I obviously liked it there! I did some more riding, and just enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. The area is also great for hiking. The rooms are nice and clean and the whole place is very well kept and taken care of.

The horses are great, and so are the people. I made great friends and felt so welcome the whole time. I really felt like being part of a family. Oh, and the food is just amazing! Both lunch and dinner consist of antipasto, then two different primi, before some delicious secondo, usually meat, together with vegetables and salad, all from Cornacchino I believe. I miss it already!

Lots of people return to Cornacchino year after year, and I hope to become one of them!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Chiocciola1

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I've just returned from a wonderful week at II Cornacchino. Everything about it was fantastic.I stayed two nights at the farmhouse and then spent a week trekking in Tuscany staying in tents. The staff were wonderful - friendly, smiley, helpful and considerate. The location is stunning, the food gorgeous and I was made to feel extremely welcome. The horses are very well looked after and well behaved. During the 6 day trek, we were greeted each evening with a table full of food and drink, which was well needed after a long day in the saddle. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank 1979Jessica
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at Cornacchino in July and recommend it highly to others. Everything exceeded our expectations. From the well-kept horses to the incredibly beautiful location & surroundings, to the friendly staff who made us feel so welcome and like family. Oh, and then there's the food! Delicious, and plenty! :-) The rooms are clean, with an enchanting rustic touch. When we weren't riding, we could relax on comfy sunbeds in the big, beautiful garden, or explore the historic and picturesque villages in the area (we did not have a car, but other guests took us with them, which was fun) - the hotsprings are definitely worth visiting. The riding experience was amazing, too. We're both inexperienced riders and the trainers/guides were supportive, knowledgable and made us feel completely at ease. It was hard to leave this warm and welcoming place (and the horses!), and we're sure to come back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed in Cornacchino for one week and it was just amazing! The stuff is unbelievable friendly and you just feel like in a big family. The food was incredible delicious with four courses at least per meal and red wine included. The rooms are relative small but user-friendly and clean. The different buildings are in the middle of a big green garden with a lot of sunbeds and a big "pergola" for hanging out. We both were beginners in riding but had very good and informative lessons and the second day already we had a nice ride in the beautiful landscape. All in all we had an absolutly great time and are coming back for sure! :-))

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I spent three nights here in May 2012 with wife and daughter and even if the weather was cold and wet we had a wonderfull time. The rooms are simple but clean. The landscape is majestic. The staff is incredibly friendly (from reception to housemaidens via cooking staff) and multilingual (I heard german, french and english and even some spanish). Horses are professional as well as the guides and right from here you can ride through amazing forests, green hills and old villages all over Tuscany, Lazio and Umbria. The food is amazing: every meal is a feast showered by Montepulciano Wine, with appetizers, two pasta dishes, one second course, two side dishes and often even a cake. We ate together with other guests on long tables and we had fun. Special mention must be given to the horseback riding lessons for children. Doris, the teacher, is really good and my 5 years old daughter enjoyed every minute of the three two hour lessons she took. This is the place to be if you like Italy, horses and outdoors.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I travelled solo in April 2012 and this was a wonderful 'get away from it all holiday'. The riding (in Western saddles) is super - it can be very adventurous (if you are confident) or relaxing if you are a beginner. The Germans and the Swiss love this place (and I can see why) but you may be the only English person there if you go alone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NPLondonNW6
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I found this place when searching for a horse-riding for beginners in Italy. I don't speak a word of Italian, and my riding skills are not that good, but I thought I'd give this place a go:

Accommodation:
A rustic farm in the most glorious countryside. Quite isolated, so you either are "away from it all", or you hire a care. Which I refrained from...
There is accommodation in the main farm house, as well as in a little cottage in the grounds. The accommodations is basic and simple, but clean and comfortable.

There is a small bar in the main building, plus a couple of sitting rooms with real fires. Very cosy..

Staff: friendly and welcoming, especially the ladies who do the cooking. The male Italian riding instructors are......well, they are Italian men !

Food: Three sumptuous meals a day, lunch and dinner are 5 to 6 courses at least, all prepared by local women and sourced from the farm. There is always plenty of red wine on the table! The food alone is worth visiting this place, everytime meal time was an occasion, especially the feast that was served up on Easter Sunday.

Entertainment: riding morning and afternoon sessions. Dinner. Socializing in the bar. There is no television. Internet is available, but no wifi signal in the outbuildings.

If you considering a visit, you should take plenty of warm clothing. This place is high up in the mountains and it can get quite chilly. Also, this place is hugely popular with Germans and Austrians. They turn up in their cars with kids, dogs and the kitchen sink. Don't worry, they are all educated enough to speak English !

Would I go back ? Yes, absolutely. I still miss the wonderful food and the glorious country side...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank marioncherie

Been to Agriturismo Il Cornacchino? Share your experiences!