“Great food, service and location”

The Old School House
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Rostrevor
Cuisines: Irish, British, European
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Belfast
“Great food, service and location”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Not knowing Rostrevor at all, my husband, daughter and I took a chance on The OId School House for lunch over the Easter holidays while strolling around the town. What a lucky find! It was full and buzzing inside (a good sign!) so we sat outside under the awning. I normally find you get forgotten about when you're outside, especially when a restaurant is busy, but the manager welcomed us and sent staff promptly to take our order. The food came quickly enough and was delicious. I don't know enough about the place to comment on other dishes but the three of us had different types of panini and they were all giant! All staff were very pleasant and smiling throughout. They changed a fork before I even lifted it and checked everything was OK while we ate. The variety on the menu, the rate of turnover and the quality of food suggest that The Old School House has a very slick and professional operation in place! Looking forward to an excuse to go back...

“Good food”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Very good food and friendly staff, a bit hard to find if you didn't know it was there I'd put a sign down in the middle of the town if I were them.

Dorset
“Very good food in a friendly restaurant”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have eaten here a number of times of the last couple of years or so and have always found the food very good and the service both friendly and efficient. I can thoroughly recommend the fish and chips, (something that so many other gastro-pubs and restaurants get so wrong) which I have to say is the best I have had anywhere. Lunch is also great value with a good range of options from light salads to more substantial fare. The only negative experiences I have had here are at breakfast, which I have to say has been a great disappointment on the three different occasions I tried it. I can only imagine that there is a different (and much less experienced) chef working at that time. Some please, if the management read this, do get that side of your service up to the same great standard as the rest. Otherwise I would say this is a very good place to have a dinner or lunch.

newry
“sublime”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just had the most beautiful pasta I'd had since my Rome trip earlier this year. Vegetarian dishes shouldn't taste this good. The pasta was obviously home made as the, texture was perfection.

I went in very hungry & frankly a bit grumpy, what was meant to be a quick meal ended up a luxurious dining experience, I left feeling like I had done something special. The waiting staff are attentive & clearly very well trained, the Manager is lovely & even filled in me in on the recepie when I couldn't quite figure put the sauce, (don't you just love that) They have a lovely nook were you can hide away & lovely alfresco tables for those who love the outdoors, great menu loads to choose from. A lovely little treat at very affordable prices. Looking forward to my next visit.

Dorset UK
“So far, wonderful!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Love this place. I have now been several times when I return home to Rostrevor and I have never been disappointed. Cod and chips is fantastic.
I just hope they keep up the good work and not rest on their laurels which sadly happens too often with great places like this.

Visited April 2014