“Quiet beach, beautiful location.”

Kenilworth Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Utorda
“Quiet beach, beautiful location.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm writing this review after a week because I hadn't got time. My review is based on my first hand experience and comparison with other 5 star hotels I have stayed at in the past. I thought you should know little about me as well so you know that I am a frequent traveler. I have travelled across India to Ladakh, Sikkim, Bhutan, Nepal, North and South you name it and countless other places, slept in shacks, huts and in suffocating tents. To stay in Kenilworth was a surprise gift to my wife of 7 years.

I had been planning to drive down to Goa for a very long time. Travelling across the country and I wondered why have I not gone to Goa yet. Of course I am from Kerala who lived across the sea shore for a decade before moving into the city. So Goa was just another state with a sea shore. However this was not the case with my wife. So I decided to treat her for the weekend in a grand fashion.

I researched on many hotels in goa, My world! there are millions of hotels to choose from and I needed a quite place to stay over the weekend away from the hustle and bustle of North Goa. So reading TripAdvisor blogs helped me decide. I initially was about to book Ramada Carvela Beach resort at Varca. However just before I was about to book that hotel, the rooms got filled. Kenilworth was my second option. Before deciding to book a room at Kenilworth I called up Ramada. The response I got from the reception was very poor. They "Cold Transferred" my call. (It means, they transferred my call without telling me which means basically they bounced me which was rude). I thanked god I didn't get a reservation at Ramada because if I'm paying premium I expect impeccable service right from the service desk.

After the call with Ramada, I called Kenilworth. I was impressed really. The lady at the reception told me that I would be transferred to reservations and requested me to be on hold. Now that is what I mean by service. Sorry folks, after working a decade in the service industry, I know and expect first class service.

Kenilworth reservations confirmed that rooms were available. I immediately booked a room for 2 nights from Kenilworth website directly. I ensured that I do not touch, cleartrip, makemytrip and all other sites who attract customers with multiple discounts clubbed with loads of terms and conditions which we will never read. Reserving through Kenilworth ensured that if I had a problem with my reservations I would deal with Kenilworth directly.

As soon as booking was confirmed I called up Kenilworth again and confirmed my reservations. Kenilworth was able to view my booking instantly and I was happy that my plan was on track.

Next was to surprise my wife. I told her on Friday that she needed to pack a few pair of clothes and just forget about everything else for 2 days. So I started my car and drove down to Goa which took me some 16 hours. The experience driving down was breath taking. Travelling through Karnataka and Goa makes you wonder what roads! Fantastic. First class. You take any road in Goa and you will be blown away with the quality of the road.

I reached Kenilworth at 1PM considering 3PM was the check-in time. The first thing I noticed was, No shade in the car park area. Not even a makeshift. So rest ensured your car is baked like a cake in the Goa heat, pooped on by all the bird species and in the night if it rains your car gets even dirtier. This is just an observation. Now reaching Kenilworth. Lets say you don't have a GPS at all. Then I guarantee you a super hard time finding this resort because its deep inside Utorda roads. The Resort is situated just beside Orchids Resorts. I had GPS, so my phone took me straight to the entrance of the resort. Now If you are not driving down? Then none of which I just said now will matter to you.

Before check-in I requested the reception to allow us to have lunch because we were very hungry. They took our Identity proofs in order to do the check-in formalities while we had our lunch at Portofino restaurant. I must tell you that the professionals who manage Portofino are fantastic. The chef, waiters, and supervisors are world class. I mean it. My wife was hell bent on having Chilli Crab. I told her they don't even have Crab in the menu. But when I asked them about crab, they never say NO. The waiter went to the Chef and came back with a smile. "We will cook crab for you and serve with Rice". WOW! What more can I ask for. This treat of mine has just turned out to become superb!.

While we had crab, there was this family group who hijacked the entire Portofino restaurant. Although initially it was very irritating and annoying we just went with the flow. The staff also apologized for any inconvenience (which is not their fault). I wonder what level of manners a group of holiday makers have considering the fact the resort is shared by multiple guests.

After lunch we hit the Shower. Check-in process was smooth. After couple of hours we took off to the beach. The property is situated among a garden of Coconut trees and they have maintained the resort very well. I was not interested in the pool at all. Who cares for a pool when you have the endless sea just a few hundred feet away?

The lobby and open areas can get real humid during the day. But if you take a walk in the garden and slip down to the beach you can forget the heat because the sea water is absolute clear. Although not as neat as the Bahamas or Caribbean, Uttorda beach is much better and isolated than many other dirty beaches I have seen.

I have to warn you to get your own shorts and swim gear because due to the remote location of the resort there is no place nearby to purchase goods. No shacks on the beach. Careful of different sales men on the beach trying to sell you anything from A to Z. The resort itself is safe. I felt safe. I saw many families there. They have a separate Security guard who monitors who comes in and out of the beach. Life guards are available bang on at the exit of Kenilworth. This means, you don't cross the red flag towards the sea.

Let me talk about food. The breakfast menu have a variety of dishes which includes, Indian, Continental, French and English. Of all the food we I loved the breakfast. I was not impressed with the variety with the lunch menu however I wasn't disappointed either. Vegetarians would love the menu. Non-vegetarians would crave for more dishes in the Buffet menu. Buffet cost you 750 Rs plus taxes. When I compare the cost of buffet with 5 Start hotels in Hyderabad who would charge you 5 to 600 plus taxes with more varieties, I personally felt that lunch menu was a let down for me considering this was off-peak season.

They have a large Gym with all the latest equipment. The Spa is fantastic. I have to compliment that the staff at the spa are professionals.

Now that I realized I have typed around 7000 characters, I will conclude this review by saying, that for a short stay to enjoy the beauty, and quietness of South Goa, Kenilworth is a fantastic place to stay. If you are looking for a longer stay and not burn your pockets, then you may want to try other cheaper places.

Was it worth the time, definitely!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mohammed K
KenilworthHotels, Resort Manager at Kenilworth Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience in such a detailed manner.

We are happy that you choose to stay at our resort for your sojourn in Goa and that you enjoyed your time with us. Our team is happy to know that you found our service standards and facilities to your liking. The Chef attends to special requests of the guests to give them a unique culinary experience and is grateful for your kind appreciation.

Look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Polish first
Bangalore
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed for 3 nights here with my family and it was a wonderful timeout. Resort and facilities are good, vegetarian food is excellent (I am veg), beach is close and it is a very kids friendly place! To sum it up, great timeout and good relaxation for the family!

Room Tip: Rooms which face the pool on the 1st floor (Superior Delux) are nice!
1 Thank akash164
KenilworthHotels, Resort Manager at Kenilworth Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay at Kenilworth Goa.

We are very pleased to know that you and your family had an enjoyable stay and your kind recommendation about us as an awesome place for a family vacation is greatly appreciated.
Our location and food have always emerged as winners amongst our guests and we would like to thank you for commending us on this resourceful travel website.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kenilworth Goa.

Best regards,
Vishal Khosla,
Panjim, India
Reviewed 8 July 2014

i stay here on 5th july-2004 with my family.a very nice resort with all facilities,very good staff,beautiful swimming pool,cool place,very good food,nice beach get way,room service was very nice.comfortable sleep.nice bathroom.

Room Tip: all room are comfortable to stay.
Dear Guest,

It was an absolute delight to have you and your family with us on your recent vacation at Kenilworth Goa.

We truly appreciate your gesture in taking out time from your busy schedule and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Our team is delighted to know that you and your family had an amazing time with us at the resort and that you found our services, facilities, food and accommodation to your liking.

We sincerely look forward to be at your service once again, in the near future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was recently at Kenilworth with my girl friends and I must say all of us unanimously agreed that the property is very well laid out and pretty and the entire staff was extremely courteous, accommodating and hospitable to us. I want to extend a special thanks to Pooja, Daisy and the rest of the staff we interacted with for taking such good care of us. Their service was prompt and they ensured personal attention in spite of the size of the property and the number of guests. The rooms were very comfortable, spacious and accommodating a third bed was no problem at all. All rooms had an attached balcony and sit out which was pleasant to enjoy in the rains. Their pools are some of the best that I've seen and service and amenities around the pool will spoil you to be lazy! They have a good gym and Sohum spa which, for lack of time I couldn't try but seemed quite good and a must try if you have the time. Do try their Aglio Olio pasta, one of the best I've had!
The resort opens onto the Uttorda beach, which is as tranquil as can be for a quiet walk during the monsoons or to just laze at the shacks during summers and peak season. All in all it was a very pleasant and a memorable experience and I would definitely want to revisit for a pampered, relaxed getaway!

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to serve you at Kenilworth Resort & Spa, Goa.

We are happy to know that you and your friends enjoyed our hospitality and array of amenities. It is a pleasure to receive your appreciation and we are happy that you were impressed by the service of our associates.

Kenilworth Resort & Spa, Goa is a popular choice among leisure travellers and we are glad that you had a memorable experience. Thank you for your recommendation for the Aglio Olio Pasta, the team in the kitchen is excited to receive your praise.

We would love to welcome you back soon.

Vishal Khosla,
Agartala, India
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I say here on Nov-2003 -- with family very nice resort , staffs are very polite and helpful -- food are very tasty room are nit and clean--communication are some problem but you will get private cars from resort to Panjim--Beach are so nice and pool are very relaxing

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RajibBanik
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to serve you at our resort.

We are glad that you were impressed by upkeep and the service of our associates. The Chef is happy to have pleased your palate and looks forward to do the same on your future visits as well.

We thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Totally disgusted by the hotel management !!! They allow groups to enter swimming pool in shalwar kamwez , just bec they have paid money to hold a party, and as of other guests in the hotel they are unable to use the common premises !!! The hotel gives common areas and amenities for group bookings thus inconveniencing they other guests. Staying in the resort !! This goes to say the quality and ethics of this hotel , honestly if I had known that the hotel had large groups I would have stayed in another resort , totally spoiled my holiday and money

• Stayed July 2014
KenilworthHotels, Resort Manager at Kenilworth Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying at Kenilworth Resort & Spa, Goa and sharing your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is our endeavour to provide our guests with the highest quality of product and services. I have observed with regret that you were not happy with services, particularly the room. Pursuant to your feedback, I have had a detailed meeting with our team, who also joins me in this apology and assure you of a visible change in your next visit to our resort.

Your feedback has given us valuable insights which will help us implement processes to ensure that we deliver a true "Kenilworth Experience".

We value your feedback in our continual endeavour to offer you better experience with every passing year.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Visited the resort for the first time last week for 6 days and absolutely LOVED IT!! We booked a resort in South Goa for the first time in order to escape the hustle of North Goa-Calangute,Candolim etc, Anjuna etc and we made the perfect choice!!There were some teething problems in the beginning with the room and service however once we spoke to the duty manager there, we were made more than comfortable.. Aditya and Sandeep were extremely hospitable and made sure everything was perfect!!
From then on our trip was just fabulous.. We were given an amazing room.. and they even made up for their mistake with a freshly baked cake and flowers especially for us. One night before our checkout.. a special sit out dinner was organized for us outisde in their lawn and we were served an amazing buffet with some yummy deserts. Under the stars complete with candle-light!
The beach is at the resort and is extremely clean and quiet. Perfect for a getaway with family/friends/lover... the pool bar serves good cocktails... and I loved their SANGRIAS! (yummers) The pool is fantastic.. huge,clean and caters to everyone.. beginners and experienced swimmers.. Their spa (Sohum Spa) was really good too. Great staff and good service. The highlight of the trip were the staff at their all day restaurant Portofino where we had all our meals. They were one the most hospitable and helpful staff I have come across anywhere in the service industry. Thanks to everyone- Srinath, Manoj, Pooja, Austin, Praveen, Claud etc (I may have missed many more names)
Overall, it was great value for money and a perfect getaway. :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Saher406
KenilworthHotels, Resort Manager at Kenilworth Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay in Kenilworth Resort and Spa Goa.

We are very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and your kind comments are greatly appreciated. It was with equal pleasure that your review was shared with our entire team and they are glad to receive your appreciation for the service, pool, spa and accommodation of our resort. Thank you for the kind words you said about our Portofino restaurant.

We thank you once more for commending us and we do look forward to enchant you on your next sojourn.

Do like us on Facebook for updates on our offers at Kenilworth Resort & Spa Goa.

Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utorda
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
#1 of 3 in Bambolim
Taj Exotica Goa
Taj Exotica Goa
#1 of 14 in Benaulim

Been to Kenilworth Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!