“Poor Service from an alleged 5* hotel”

Kenilworth Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Utorda
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed at this hotel in February 2011. On arrival the hotel & staff seemed very pleasant and we thought that we had made the correct choice of hotel - this all very quickly changed!

After the farce that was the check-in procedure - it took the bell-boys almost 40mins to bring our luggage up to the room - which after a 18 hour trip was the last delay we needed.

The room itself was not too bad but the bathroom was in dire need of refurbishment and shower curtains needed to be changed. The hotels general cleanliness was also brought into question when we spotted a rodent dash across the lobby during our stay.

Throughout our stay we experienced a two tier level of service the British and Local guests were given a lower standard of service to that of the Russian Guests. There were signs displayed in Russian showing various discounts available to them but this was not available to English or other nationals. When questioned there was no reasonable explanation given and the sign simply removed from our view.

After bringing up the matter of the poor service we then went on to feel victimised as each time we walked past certain staff they would look in our direction, usher other members of staff to them and proceed to obviously talk about us.

Having stayed in may hotels (5* and less) around the world this is the first time I have felt the need to write a poor review of a hotel. Having paid amost $2000 for the bed and breakfast rate - I feel utterly let down - and we will NOT be recomending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank DrP78
Write a ReviewReviews (1,323)

Reviewed 18 February 2011

I spent 10 days travelling around Mumbai and Goa and in that time I stayed in a hotel in Mumbai, a beach shack in Mandrem, a small B & B place near Bogmallo and The Kenilworth for 2 nights at the end of the holiday. The Kenilworth was by far the worst hotel of the holiday and the worst I've EVER stayed in!!

They got so many things wrong it is unreal. A list of problems included:

1) Picking me up from the airport ONE hour late and when I called them they expected me to call the driver and not VICE VERSA which became quite an expensive series of phonecalls.

2) When dropping me at the hotel, they brought all the bags in except for one, the one that had my passports in. This was ceremoniously dumped at the front exit of the hotel. No apology was received.

3) I politely asked the receptionist to re-confirm my return flight time and this wasn't done. When I asked why, the gentleman on the front desk lied to my face and said that the phones were busy. Hey presto another guy comes along and does it in TWO MINUTES!! Lying to customers is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

So then it gets a lot worse. I complained to the general manager, a very sleazy fellow with zero customer service skills. He heard my complaint and then called me in my room about two minutes later, briefly apologising and offering me a free meal in the buffet restaurant, which I accepted to keep the peace, what I wanted was a full refund. I already had a plan to go out for Valentines Day but he persuaded me I'd be well looked after!!

I sat in the empty restaurant for about two minutes and then ordered room service instead and this ruined the whole evening. Then to compound matters, the receptionist tried to charge me twice on check out, which simply added insult to injury!!!

The place is a joke and anyone thinking of staying there, I would advise you not to. Yes it does a few things right, the pool is nice, the guy running the tennis there is nice but there are so many things wrong with the hotel. Stay somewhere else, anywhere else but NOT HERE!!!!

You might read this and think I'm unreasonable but I'm not. I've stayed in a variety of hotel of all grades across the world and this is the WORST I've ever stayed in and the WORST I ever hope to stay in. If you look at my other reviews you will see that I am more than reasonable with my reviews.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanielLondon123
Reviewed 22 January 2011

My stay at Kenilworth was worth every buck I paid, I had a very good time, and the staff was very courteous, it was a memorable stay on christmas !! Though we thought it would be a beach party on Christmas but was a poolside party, food was awesome and the uttorda beach where the resort was located was too scenic and beautiful!. We had a lovely time. On departure time, we had to rush and the staff arranged a cab for us right hwen we required though they dinn have one.. due to pre-occupancies. it is definitly one place you can go and have lot of fun!! But please go in groups and have a beach party on the beach which will definitly be more fun than the parties at such resorts. Other than that, it was great !!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We stayed for 3 days in the hotel. The hotel is really worth all the praises because of its well being and an excellent managing staff. The hotel has a very good activity center to take care of our so that we can have a peaceful stay. The staff thrived a lot to serve us the best and they were quite successful in that. the room service was upto the mark in serving us in time. The pool was quite vast and it was great to hang out there. The restaurant was a bit ordinary in looks but had a great variety of food to serve us with. The hotel had a seperate transportation department which was a real good help for us. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2010

I visited this hotel in the month of October 2010.
I was picked up the Hotel Staff at the Dabolim airport- Goa- very courteous staff and taken to the the hotel which is very picterous and posing a flamboayant style. It poses a great view and filled with panache.
It is situated at a sea beac- very clean and safe. It gives you a very relaxing atmosphere- good food- quality and ambience is excellent.

The quality of room service is very good-As per the hotel standards- a very good experience and the cleanliness of the room was outstanding.

The rooms were attched to garden and balcony providing a panoramic view.

As the beach was very near, private - lush green lawns, big beach - clean and free from hawkers, private swimming pool, plush locales, chess boards and games, water spoorts, name a thing and you have it.

The hotel is located at a very quiet zone near other five star hotals and is one of teh star locations for hotel in south goa.
this five star property provides you everything under the sun what a leisure traveller.
Very positive ambience with high quality service standard.
Very good food, confernece rooms and ddedicated staff for attending the guests.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bustreaveller
Reviewed 23 November 2010

This is a good, well laid out, beachfront resort in South Goa. It is very well maintained with lots of greenery, manicured lawns, several swimming pools, etc. It also offers an excellent spa, which our entire group (8 persons) experienced, wanted more and hence re-experienced. As many other resorts in Goa, it also offers a variety of activities/fun games for persons of all age groups. If solitude is required, this too is available in abundance in its vast gardens and almost private, quiet beach. Definitely a place to de-stress and rejuvenate oneself.
Indian travellers: the food is toned down, probably to cater to the majority foreign guests. Though the offerring is extensive it can get dull for the spicy Indian palate. However, a word with their Chef, who is a genius and very friendly and cooperative, could have him prepare some tasty dishes for the Indian palate.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2010

An average stay experience, with the highlight being the sunken bar at the pool. The hotel is at the beach and offers all kinds of sports opporunities to the guests and visitors. The spa is another highlight of this resort where you can get good massages and therapies. The day dining is a lot to be desired though and the staff seemed under trained a lot. There is not much choice when it comes to other restaurants too.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utorda
Goa Marriott Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
Caravela Beach Resort
The LaLiT Golf & Spa Resort Goa
Planet Hollywood Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
#5 of 10 in Cavelossim

Been to Kenilworth Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!