“'No Return'” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Ayton
Hull
“'No Return'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I booked an overnight stay at East Ayton Lodge on the 24th August (bank holiday weekend) for myself, my Husband and my two very young Grandsons aged two and ten months. We travelled from Hull on the Saturday and our aim was to take the boys to the Sea life Centre Scarborough on the Sunday and avoid bank holiday traffic jams. We arrived at the Lodge at 2.00pm, and checked in, the receptionist was pleasant enough, she gave us our key and showed us where our room was.The room was clean enough but a bit dark and dingy and very tired looking, at £95 per night it was very over priced. We went down for breakfast the following morning to yet another tired looking area and wasn't that clean either, the lady who served breakfast was pleasant enough and the breakfast was satisfactory. The whole of the lodge needs a decent clean up and make over.

We packed up our car, locked up our room, handed our key in, settled our bill and set of for the Sea Life Centre at about 10.05am. On arrival at the centre I realised I had left my coat hung in the wardrobe at the Lodge, I phoned to let them know at 10.31am and again at 11.10am. but both times there was no reply (great for business). I wasn't unduly worried, as I thought they would see it and just leave it at reception or wherever they store left items of property, and decided to pop back after our visit to the Sea Life Centre. We had a wonderful time at Sea life and then headed back to East Ayton Lodge to collect my coat. We arrived there at about 12.50pm, the children were asleep in the car so my Husband remained in the car. I proceeded to the Reception, explained to the girl I had left my coat in room 31, she gave me the key and let me go back into the room to get it. When I went into the room I realised it had been cleaned and was ready for the next guests, I looked in the wardrobe and obviously my coat was no longer there. The wardrobe had been tidied and all the hangers pushed to one end. I locked the room up again and went back to reception. The receptionist said they probably wouldn't have been in the wardrobe, but I assured her they had. She went off to find someone and came back with a lady who said she was head of housekeeping, she said she has cleaned room 31, she proceed to get the key and take me back to the room, why I will never know, I told her the coat wasn't there. We entered the room, she went to the wardrobe opened up the doors and said "No the coats not here" how very observant of her!!! She then said "Are you sure you didn't put it in a drawer" and proceeded to open up a couple of drawers in a chest of drawers cabinet. "No" I replied, by this time thinking this lady has really spent to much time cleaning, or is she just taking the mick, "The coat was left hung in the wardrobe". She proceeded to walk out the room, I followed her, a little lost for words. I asked her if anyone else could have gone into the room whilst it was being cleaned without her knowing, she replied that only her and a another young girl was present, and they cleaned the room together, I asked if may be the young girl had found it and forgotten to tell her, the answer was no. I returned to my car and waiting Husband and told him the coat had disappeared into thin air. The housekeeper said I should check all my luggage to make sure I hadn't packed it, treating me like some kind of idiot, she then said should it turn up, she would ring me.With that she disappeared back into the reception. My Husband said "No I'm not happy with this, something's not right, the coat was left here and it's got to be somewhere here". He went back to reception this time, and I stayed in the car with the sleeping children. He spoke to the so called Manager, who got the head of house keeping, whose name we found out was Brigett, my Husband told her a coat just does not disappear into thin air, the lady became quite angry and aggressive and accused my Husband of calling her girls thieves, and actually shouted at my Husband, and then went on to say that I had probably taken the coat with me and lost it whilst out that morning and had come back to try and claim from the hotel. What an absolute ridicules statement that was. She stormed off, leaving my Husband stood there and members of a wedding party that were there, looking on wondering what all the commotion was about (nice venue for a wedding)!!! My Husband then turned to the Manager, who just stood there whilst she shouted and ranted and never at any point tried to intervene, he just shrugged his shoulders, and said if we weren't happy, then we should go to the police (this man clearly doesn't have a clue). Did he really think we should waste precious Police time when he should have dealt with this matter in house.

It really beggars belief just how bad some of the staff are at this establishment, and the total lack of respect they have for their paying customers. We have travelled all over the world, and stayed in many places and this is the worst experience we have ever had. Totally unacceptable.

We finally left East Ayton Lodge at 1.05pm. We tried to make the most of the rest of our day out before we returned home to Hull, although we were both very shocked and upset about everything that had taken place.

We arrived home at 5.00pm and there was a message left on our home telephone from no other than Brigett, explaining she was sorry and they had found my coat and would I like to collect it or have them post it out. The call was made at, wait for it, 1.15pm, ten minutes after we left the Lodge.

I called the Lodge and spoke to a guy called Nick, and asked him to post my coat to me. I got the feeling he knew what had happened, because he was also not very polite and never offered no apology on behalf of East Ayton Lodge, that would be just to much to ask wouldn't it.
I believe a lady called Sarah has taken over the Lodge, and she will surely lose masses of business,if she doesn't get her front of house in order and get them on some Customer Services courses, also she needs a Manager that carries out managerial duties professionally and respectful of his customers and their well being. A person to answer the phone would be great idea as well.

I did finally get my coat back, and after everything that had taken place at East Ayton Lodge, it still took a week to get it back, and as you'll have probably guessed by now, no there was still no apology, just my coat in a bubble wrap pack. Did I expect an apology? No not at all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dianne H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay in this hotel, I totally agree with other comments, this hotel could be lovely with some attention to detail... However we stayed in what only can be described as a grotty room- especially the bathroom, the shower dribbled out and the shower curtain was discoloured and mouldy, definitely not the place you would want to have a bath! Also peeling wall paper in the bedroom. I have to say that the staff were fairly friendly and helpful but at one point we came downstairs to order lunch and all the staff were outside the front door smoking with the smell of smoke wafting into the reception and bar area which was slightly off putting!
We only stayed here as we were at a wedding near by but would not recommend anyone to stay here, which is a pity because it could be really lovely.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these East Ayton hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Unknowingly spent the night with a wasp which woke me with a sting. this was the second time I was stung that night, the restaurant and bar prices are bordering on robbery, this was borne out by the fact that our party of 4 and one other family group were the only diners.After the meal we moved to the bar to be greeted by a pleasant young man, unfortunately too young to serve alcohol. thing got worse when we were told the drinks we wanted had run out. The next night we ate out! returning to East Ayton Lodge for a nightcap, a replacement bottle was yet to aquired so no nightcap, early to bed.

This is the fourth year running we have stayed at East Ayton and it appears that the owners are loosing interest, the standard of the rooms and the quality of food is still good but the service and atmosphere are now non-existent, talking to other guests the consensus is 'use the hotel for a bed but dine elsewhere, the local pub serves excellent steaks at half the price and for truly special dining experience travel to Seamer only 5 minutes taxi ride.

I would normally have expressed my dissatisfaction with the proprietors but there presence was conspicuous by their absence, someone needs either to sell or to get a grip.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe as security means you have to keep windows shut.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed here as a family in February 2013. As soon as we arrived we were told by the staff that the room was less than ideal!!

We were put in the 'annex' which is basically a two storey hut in the car park. The room door exits directly onto the car park and the door didn't fit properly so the wind blew in making the room FREEZING cold. The room was dirty - sticky dirty carpet, dirty bathroom, dirty bedding on the beds. Loads of stains too. Basically horrid. With no sound proofing and little / no insulation to keep the room warm.

The TV didn't work and staff came and bought several TV's before they found a working one. There was a very basic tea and coffee tray with clean cups.

The accommodation was noisy as you get all the traffic using the bar / restaurant going to and fro from the car park - including loads of noise at night at closing time.

The whole building was run down and shabby. The bar and restaurant are really dark and like something out of a horror movie.

The breakfast was at best adequate. The lady who served us was pleasant.

I wouldn't ever stay here again. It's cost £100 for this room and it wasn't worth £25. I'd advise people to consider other accommodation in the area (in fact we recently stayed at a Hotel nearby for less money and it was AMAZING).

I usually list pros and cons, but I'd just say that I would not recommend this place to anyone. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jacqui_Learoyd
Glossop, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Positives and Negatives:

+ Some friendly staff.
+ Easy check in.
+ Well located for what we required.
+ Nice Breakfast

- The listed room price at £95.00 per night is overpriced, we paid £79.00, (£20.00 too much in my view).
- Room has peeling wall paper.
- We shared the night with a good number of spiders and their webs.
- External light on ALL night outside out room window, it was like sleeping through the day.
- There was a constant creaking of the floor boards in the room above us, also every time someone walked across the floor you could hear every step.....aaggghhh!
- There was a wedding on at the same time as we were there, we were encouraged to stay in the lounge area, which made us feel we had been put in the naughty room, my wife retired early as she felt uncomfortable.
- We asked for a table at around 20:00 at 19:45 one of the staff came to our room and said if we wanted to eat we needed to go over to the restaurant NOW as the chef was also doing a wedding buffet and if we didn't order in the next 15 mins we may not be able to have a meal.
- Breakfast staff seemed to be rushed off their feet as they were also covering reception.
- Had to wait a while for someone to leave the breakfast area to assist us with the check out.
- Staff generally seemed a little stressed and it showed in their customer service.

This place has the potential to be great, I wish somebody would sort out the decor and the cleaning routine.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away off the lower levels, at least you will not hear the constant creaking of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GaryDub
Leicestershire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This could be a lovely hotel if someone cared to refurbish it. It is lovely setting with good sized bedrooms and attractive gardens. Unfortunately though, our bedroom(and particularly the bathroom) was shabby and the hotel needs redecorating and refurbishing throughout. The sheets and towels were all well worn and needed replacing. We stayed for 2 nights and each morning, shortly after 8am, we were woken by horrendous noises from the plumbing when other guests were using the hot water.
What a shame this hotel has been left to deteriorate. Service was ok, but as another reviewer said there was never anyone around to check out or order drinks for the bar. Disappointing!

Room Tip: Our family room was spacious and had a proper single bed for our son rather than a sofa bed.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane M
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Where oh where to begin with this hotel? Room 32 accessed by a rickety wooden noisy staircase. Dark, dingy and in dire need of refurbishment. Both coffee cups were dirty and remained dirty for the duration of our 2 night stay. Bathroom...terrible drain smell, dirty, cracked sink, other people's toothpaste around the taps, and other people's....well...use your imagination, but I went to the Spar in the village and bought myself a bottle of Domestos to bleach the toilet with!!! People in the adjacent room switched the shower on at 7am and the noise was like people were drilling through the wall. Shower in our room was poor. Dead flies floating in the milk at Breakfast time and really cheap sausages. Bar closed to residents at 11pm on Friday night. Bar man started blowing out candles before guests had left the bar. Dirty ashtrays and glasses on the outside tables from the previous night were not cleared away when guests came down for breakfast the next morning and 'cleaning in progress' signs everywhere. Grounds in desperate need of some tender loving care. Perhaps we would have pointed some of these things out when we left...but nobody asked us how our stay had been!!!
Owners - I hope you acquired this hotel for the property development opportunity. If you didn't then PLEASE contact a consultant to advise you on the possibilities. Even if you spend a million pounds on redevelopment the hotel will not offer a strong long term return. I have spent over 1000 nights in hotels in the last 10 years.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Burythorpe House
Burythorpe House
#1 of 1 in Burythorpe
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms

Been to East Ayton Lodge? Share your experiences!