“Great potential”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Ayton
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great potential”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here on the 26-27th August 2014 my first impressions of the hotel was wow. The drive and entrance to hotel was impressive and bearing this in mind I was expecting great things of this place.

Unfortunately the impressions ended there. The place was screaming out for an update the reception certainly needed it, it seemed to have been untouched for a long time the dining area looked liked it had some work done, but just careless attention to detail kind of let it down. The room which we stayed in for the night pretty grotty, bathroom didnt look like it had a proper clean in a while and the whole feeling to the room was that it felt dark and dingy.

Service was pretty good. Girl that checked us in was very polite, altho she looked well presented she didn't seem like she was the person in charge. this was the theme while we stayed there it seemed like there was a lack of managment.

We decided to have dinner straight away, the problem here was we were seated at a table in the restaurant by the same girl that checked us in she also got our drinks which meant she was also working the bar, and she took our order and she was the waitress for the evening. Wether they knew it was going to be a quiet night or not i dont know but to me it just seemed a bit strange she was doing everything. If a few more people checked in or wanted to eat she definitley would have struggled but I'll give them the benifit of doubt as she was very pleasant.

I can see why people are giving low ratings to this place as some people aren't prepared to over look some of the things that I did. It certainly has so much potential and it would be a shame with just lack of attention to detail and need of updating drags this place down. I would certainly come back again but only if they addressed these issues.

2 Thank Stewart S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Market Weighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We have just come back from a weekend stay here. Gorgeous setting, lovely friendly staff, amazing food but the hotel itself is very tired and in great need of decorating. I feel once the work has been done no-one will have a bad word to say about the place. We had room 3, which is a family room, it is very spacious but doesn't have a shower only a bath. The beds are very comfy and clean.

1 Thank Marshyzg
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have just had 3 days at east Ayton Lodge, The setting was very nice and the staff very attentive, Breakfast was good, In general the hotel was clean and tidy, but it is sadly lacking in the decoration, I.E needs updating, very tired wallpaper peeling of in lots of places,public area seating in dire need of replacing.
if this were done they would have a very good product to market.
Overall we had a good time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just returned from 3 nights bed and breakfast at this hotel. Lovely setting and loads of character.Staff are friendly and very helpful. Breakfast first class. Do admit there is some work to be done to the property to bring it up to spec.but feel certain this will be carried out as soon as possible which I am sure will result in a higher star rating. Very reasonably priced (so reasonable I phoned up to check that it was correct). Would recommend to anyone travelling to Yorkshire looking for good place to stay at a bargain price

Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have read that new owners are trying to update this hotel and have not been in place for too long. It's certainly true that if you are minded to pick holes in the place then you will find them. The positives include the location and the breakfast which was excellent and served by very polite and happy staff. However, I do think that only an hour for breakfast smacks of convenience for the hotel and not for the guest especially with Sunday breakfast finishing by 9:30. We were in the annexe building upstairs and the room was clean if pretty gloomy. Bathroom was microscopic with a gap of only 2 inches either side of the toilet - very cosy. If remodelling the bathroom to rip out the bath and replace with a shower needs to come later there is no excuse for postage stamp bath towels or average toiletries. Final word would be for the first impression of the hotel which is the reception. It looked like a storeroom and gave a terrible impression. For the prices charged this needs a few personal touches at the very least. General level of upkeep wasn't good with the wood panelling scuffed and untidy. I really hope the new owners succeed because they could have a very nice hotel on their hands.

Room Tip: Room 33 - no swinging cats in the bathroom - microscopic
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We paid 190 pounds for two nights. We found the hotel a little grubby with peeling and ripped furniture, it looks as if its been untouched for ten years!
The menu is limited and expensive with snail paced service. The breakfast is limited with beans being a luxury that wasn't on the menu but could be asked for as we were vegetarians! Loopy!
On a positive note the room was clean and tidy with ok facilities fit for a £50 a night travel lodge, oh and the shower was (quote from the wife) "like showering under a watering can".
My advice to you is if you want the luxury you would expect from £190 a night then look elsewhere, my advice to them is drop your prices or do the place up!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ryan S, General Manager at East Ayton Lodge, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Firstly may I apologize for your poor experience of our establishment we will look into your comments and act on them straight away

Travellers are raving about these East Ayton hotels

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night in July. I've waited a week before submitting this review to try and be subjective and constructive!!

On arrival, first impressions are good, the gravel driveway leads into a lovely courtyard and the grounds are really nice. It is a great location. However, that's where the positives end unfortunately. On checking in I was told the room wasn't ready despite it being half 2. I accept that the website says checking no earlier than 2pm and we were only half an hour later than that but you do have to be out of your room by 1030 am so it should be enough time! The young lady that tried to check us in was apologetic, she was obviously the cleaner too. She went to sort the room out and some miserable bloke who I think was the chef ( dressed like that anyway) told us we could wait in the bar. No smile, no apology he then wandered off. Oh well, it was a sunny day so we got a drink and sat outside in the garden until room ready.

Our room turned out to be in the block opposite reception, a 2 story building that is built around the courtyard. Rooms are a decent size but really dark as there is only one small window. It's probably a good thing it's dark as these rooms are in serious need of updating. Anyone who has stayed in a modern hotel recently will realise this. Have a look at the rooms of a travel lodge or holiday inn for example and these rooms are like being transported back to the 70's. The bathrooms are a disgrace. Very old, very dirty ( don't even look at the extractor fan!). Tiles cracked everywhere, ceiling above shower had a hole and was cracked and falling apart. I have read a review only a few days old complimenting the fact that there was hot water!!!! Surely these days this is a minimum standard! Catch up!

Fast forward to bedtime and it became clear that soundproofing was not an issue when this block was built. If you are on the ground floor and the room above is occupied prepare for a disturbed night. This is not the fault of the occupants above as suggested by management in an earlier review. The floorboards creak everywhere, any movement above results in noise. Walls paper thin, tv's in rooms either side easily heard.

After half an hour in bed I became aware of the dampness. I stripped back the sheets and found the mattress wet through. The valance underneath was soaking and smelt of urine! In defence of the cleaning staff the mattress surface did not feel damp unless it was compressed. Then it was like a sponge. Disgusting. I complained to the young lad at reception who was really helpful and said there was a room free upstairs. So we decamped and moved upstairs at midnight. I know why this room was unoccupied, it smelt very damp. Oh well, we were tired so it had to do and I was offered discount by the young lad.

Next morning we decided to not hang around, went for breakfast and again I can't understand the rave reviews about brekkie. Yes there is a selection of cereal and fruit and the usual cooked fair, but this is again a minimum standard these days. The "lodge" special was 1 sausage, 2 bacon, 1 over done fried egg, half a tomato and 1 bit of black pudding. Make you own mind up. Plenty of toast and coffee though.

On checking out the young lad from the previous night presented me with a bill for £95. I asked about the discount only to be told he had checked the mattress and it was dry! Why would I make this up at midnight?? I explained about it being like a sponge and that I did not appreciate sleeping in someone else's urine. I was given £20 off. I paid and went.

This sounds like a really negative review, but I have written it as I saw it. I have never wrote a review as long as this but I feel strongly about it.

Management, take notes of the following.

Not once did I see anyone who remotely looked like they were in charge (manager/owner).
Staff were miserable throughout.
If (as is suggested on other reviews) you are undergoing a renovation then customers need to know in advance. I would NOT have booked this hotel if I had known and therefore would not have submitted this review and how can you justify almost £100 a night when you admit it's a project in progress?

I'm sorry, but I would never recommend this to anyone in this state.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#4 of 28 in Scarborough
Burythorpe House
Burythorpe House
#1 of 1 in Burythorpe

Been to East Ayton Lodge? Share your experiences!