“Terrible customer service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakland, California, United States
“Terrible customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I was really looking forward to this place and it turned out to be a huge disappointment. The girl, Magda that works the front desk is a legitimate sourpuss. When I arrived in my room the internet wouldn't work. I went out and told her that the internet wasn't working. She rolled her eyes and turned around and pointed at the light on the modem and informed me, "no, it's working." I tried explaining to her that it worked in the lobby, but not in my room. Perhaps I'm too far from the server? She rolls her eyes again and begrudgingly grabs a set of keys off the wall to move me to another room. When we get to the room, she can't unlock the door because the keys don't work properly. She asks the nearby maid to open the door with her keys, then leaves me with the set of keys that didn't work. Not surprisingly, when I tried to lock the door 10 minutes later, the keys didn't work. I went out to tell her, which earned me another exasperated eye roll and a mountain of attitude.

They have signs all over the front desk saying they're not responsible for anything that goes missing if it is not left in the safe, and they make you sign a waiver releasing their liability. Good luck trying to get a safe with a key that actually works. I was too intimidated to ask given that I had already clearly irritated this girl with all of my "needs" (read: basic, promised amenities), which made me very uncomfortable leaving my valuables in the room.

The free breakfast is terrible and the coffee is worse. I got sick from eating a salad at the restaurant. The only reason I gave this place any stars at all is because it's the cleanest in Jinotega. That being said, it's extremely over priced given the incredibly poor service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Kristen N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We have stayed in the Hotel Cafe on several occasions, and the customer service has been reliably poor. Employees engage with customers as if their day is being interrupted and as if they have more important affairs to which to attend. Visitors should not expect amenities such as a shelf on which to place toiletries. As far as the breakfast, a hotel named the "Coffee Hotel" might be expected to be known for especially rich coffee. This is not the case. There are not many choices in Jinotega, and the Hotel Cafe may be the best the city can offer; however, it is overpriced and unimpressive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with natural lighting.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FrankFromAZ
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Clean and nice hotel. Too expensive for the city. Continental breakfast is understood as a piece of bread and jelly. Rooms surrounding the patio are not to be taken.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PabloLH
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Excellent small,centrally situated small hotel in the centre of the the coffee growing area of
Nicaragua. Very helpful, friendly, obliging staff & excellent menu . Personally run by Dona
Terry a very " hands on " manager " willing to cope with individual needs - I was sick whilst
there & no one could have done more for me.. They also provide entertainment for
travel groups such as local children folk dancing.

Room Tip: Upstairs ,although small, have a slight breeze & more light
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HelenChalmers
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

This was our first visit to Northern Nicaragua. We have three small children and wanted a clean, reasonable place to stay. This was a wonderful get away with super friendly staff, as well as the owner herself. The rooms were comfortable and super clean and the food was outstanding! We felt safe and secure and would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kqr241
St Andrews
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I visit Jinotega a number of times every year and I always stay in the hotel cafe. The staff are very helpful and friendly and the service is excellent . The rooms are clean with nice public areas. I eat in the restaurant on a regular basis and the food is very good. The hotel offers good value for money and I would recommend it to all visitors to Jinotega. It is a quite small hotel so make sure to book in adavance.
Nick

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Nick946
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We flew to Nicaragua without making any reservation. We drove directly to Jinotega and tried to find a hotel before night fall. We checked on several, but the descent ones were all full. Then a lodging owner suggested Hotel Cafe. We were just lucky that they had a room for 2 nights.

The place was very clean, and tastefully decorated. The owner was very accommodating spoke good English, but the staff did not speak English that well. Room was small, but cleanliness is what matters to me. There is no parking, but we felt comfortable parking outside. The place was located in a safe area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Venust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jinotega
La Buena Onda
#3 of 6 in Matagalpa
Hotel Hex Esteli
Hotel Hex Esteli
#2 of 6 in Esteli

Been to Hotel Cafe Jinotega? Share your experiences!