“Average”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aix-en-Othe
Auberge de la Scierie
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aix-en-Othe
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The hotel first. Looks tired, weeds growing up thru paving stones/gravel, uncared for flower pots, some place need a lick of paint. All in all looks like it needs a re-vamp. Room - bed comfortable and bathroom good size with a nice bath. Plenty of hot water.

Food - dinner. Prentious food and not very good. This was just over two weeks ago and I can only remember two things we ate. They presented a amuse bouche which was disgusting. It was a little vot shot glass with had two small balls of melon in it, along with melon juice and an ancovy. It was revolvting. My husband had foie gras to start and it tasted of very little - it was very poor quality. I can't remember what we had for the mains or pudding but must have been very mediocre otherwise I would have remembered. My husband had cheese which he said was ok to good. Wine was very reasonably priced.

Service - not very good. One of the waitress, rather plump, was serving wearing a large, stetched out, washed out long white (now grey) tee-shirt. More appropriate to doing the washing up then serving in what I think the owners belives is a foodie/good restauarnt. I can't really believe that they let her go out and serve looking like that. Anway, the service was not great. At one stage we had to wait 30 mins for our mains to be cleared. I don't like looking at a plate which has congealing gravy/jus on it for 30 mins. The waitress got in a strop when my husband asked her to clear the plates, explaining that we had been waiting for 30 minutes. A stroppy "j'arrive, j'arrive" was forthcoming but no apology. I think she reflected on her atitude because 5 minutes later when she returned to clear she did apologise.

Breakfast was a selection of cold meats, chese (I think), fresh croissant, pain au chocolate etc. Coffee was not bad.

Overall - mediocre. I think next time we travel to the south of France we will stay somewhere else.

Nice dog though.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 September 2012

OK, the slightly negative points first.
The first floor rooms have a sloping ceiling, the window is in that slope and there is no air conditioning. However, you can easily reach the Velux window and turn it over so that hot air escapes easily and in mid August, with very hot weather, we were comfortable at night. The outside stairs to the first floor are "rustic", and can be a little slippery in wet weather.
Now for the good points.
The welcome is friendly, the beds are large and comfortable, the bathroom is a good size and spotlessly clean. There was a full size bath in which to relax and a swimming pool, which was refreshingly cold in a mid August heat wave. It has to said, (but don't tell the owners) that the price was also very reasonable. Madame looks after bookings and is English so those who dread booking in French need have no fear. Dogs are welcome.
Now for the very best bit.....the food.
We have eaten here on four separate occasions and we dread coming back in case the food is not as good as we remember, but each time it has been superb. Monsieur the chef is French and loves his cooking. His flavours are subtle and the presentation always shows lots of flair. The menu changes with the seasons, which means you can't guarantee an old favourite but we have made new discoveries each time. The service is attentive without being annoying or over formal. If the weather is kind you can eat outside.
On Saturday night you have to have half board, but if you stay here without eating you are missing the best restaurant in France.
PS The dog is lovely too!

Room Tip: First floor is quiet. Hotel is not far from Troyes and a easy journey to or from the Tunnel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 747skipper
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We did visit this lovely hotel regular the last few years and we are always looking forward to meet again with the owners and their staff. Swimmingpool, nice room, good cooking, friendly people, in a romantic setting are elements that can make everybody happy!

Room Tip: NR: 19, has an extra window and is close to the main building
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I know they've had a lot of rain.... But the smell in the bedroom was in danger of keeping me awake! It was clean enough I suppose but honestly everything was damp, and not aired.
Dinner was welcome after a long drive, but not memorable....in fact I really can't remember what we ate.....unusual for such foodaholics!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank hackettsathome
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We had booked to stay for 2 nights at this Auberge but only managed one. On arrival the hotel looks a little tired and the elderly owners seem to have let things slip a little. Cracked and uneven paving slabs around the pool (dangerous for small children), a wasps nest in the trees near the enterance, weeds not attended to, dirty outdoor furniture.

Our room was small but perfectly formed. The light in the toilet didnt work and there was an old musty smell. Other than this the room was fine.

At around 4am a cockeral started crowing literally right outside the room. This continued (every 10 seconds) until 8am when we went for breakfast.

Breakfast was pretty basic but ok - no fruit or cereal (I would have expected this for 8 euros each)

I mentioned the cockeral to the owner (it was hers) and asked to move to another room so I could get some sleep but she refused stating 'thats the countryside!' I don't mind animals noises but surely you would have the brains to not put poultry right outside someones window! Because of this we decided to leave.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jonige
jaqui h, Owner at Auberge de la Scierie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

I agree, the cockerels can be loud sometimes , but I would like to point out they do not belong to the auberge and are not on our property, I do not own them and by choice I would not have them near us, but it is the countryside and unfortunately we have to live with them as with all the other creatures that make life what it is.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

Very comfortable rooms. Quiet location and we had a good sleep. Swimming pool was great.
The only downside was the restaurant where it was "nouvelle cuisine". We were very hungry, having travelled all day and whilst the meal on the plates looked beautiful, there was very little of it. Isnt it time that the nouvelle cuisine disappeared for good? Lets have fresh good quality ingredients , well prepared and enough to satisfy all appetites.
Good wine and breakfast was fine

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

To declare an interest first, we returned last week exactly 25 years after we first visited on our honeymoon. We chose it then for its romance and food from Arthur Eperon's guide and have had treasured memories ever since. Therefore La Scierie had a great deal to live up to and we are delighted to say it did. The present owners took over about 8 years ago and have followed the spirit of the place which is essentially a country auberge, a restaurant with rooms. Without doubt we had the best meal of many stays in France at this restaurant and at a really reasonable price. This is what it is about. The room we had is charming with a 6ft bed and tasteful decor and we were very happy revisiting our memories there.

Others have commented that the bathrooms are outdated but we found it serviceable if not luxurious and certainly refitted since our last stay. Stay here if food, atmosphere and character are what you appreciate. The owners (chef and his wife) are friendly and we really felt very welcomed. Also the other guests on the day of our stay were engaging and we really enjoyed the atmosphere at dinner and breakfast.

Aix en Othe is not a tourist area but undoubtedly quiet and rural. We had a two hour walk before dinner and the last time we stayed we explored the Champagne route.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gill1960

Been to Auberge de la Scierie? Share your experiences!