“A lovely evening”
Review of The Green Dragon

The Green Dragon
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We regularly (at least once a month) eat out with friends in the Devizes area, and this month we were tempted to the Green Dragon as one of us had a free wine voucher. Although we have a VIP card we had not eaten here for over a year We were very pleasantly surprized, as well as a nice bottle of wine the food and service was excellent. Our waiter Marcus was welcoming, polite and well informed. There was a wide number of specials as well as their standard menu and 3 of us opted for the black pudding fritters, it was lovely to have something a bit unusual on offer. We all had different main courses and not one of us was disappointed, it is also nice to have all the vegetables included in the price and not have to pay extra. The food was piping hot as served on really hot plates, again this is something that many other places seem to ignore these days. One of us just had a main course, but 3 of us had 3 courses. As well as our free wine there was also at least 3 beers and another glass of wine ordered and the bill still only came to £90, so it is definitely a strong contender for our Christmas meal when we return to the best one of the year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed one night whilst walking the White Horse Trail. I really liked the Green Dragon, lots of character, clean, good facilities (better than some hotels I stayed in), homely and friendly. I'd almost go so far as to say that this is an undiscovered gem except...

The room I stayed in got quite hot at night and felt stuffy so i opened the window. Since the rooms are all on front side facing the high street through Market Lavington there was a lot a traffic from quite early in the morning so I was quite restless. This was the only problem I found with the Green Dragon!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Very glad you enjoyed your stay, we are well placed for walking or cycling the Wessex Ridgeway and the White Horse trail. Sorry you found it a bit stuffy, the room you were in was the smallest one we have and on hindsight we should have offered you an upgrade to the large single. Quite unusual to have a warm night at the moment!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have stayed at the Green Dragon several times over the last few years, sometimes with our grandchildren. We have always been made to feel very welcome by Nikky and Steve. The rooms we have occupied have been excellent. The menu in the restaurant caters for all and could not be bettered. We alway enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

So glad you enjoyed your stay, it is always a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We are members of the Green Dragon loyalty scheme and received a voucher for a free bottle of 'bubbly' to mark our wedding anniversary this week. We booked a table for this evening and on arrival mentioned the bottle to the waitress, asking what the wine would be. Cava brut was the response, which helped in our menu selection. When the wine arrived it was a sweet Moscato, not to our taste and certainly not with the fish starters we planned. On querying with the waitress she apologised and checked with the landlord, Steve. His response was 'It's a free bottle, you get what you are given'. We said we'd been advised it would be a dry Cava and he said as the wine was a giveaway he shopped around for the cheapest he could find and couldn't offer us anything else. Given his surly, unhelpful attitude we didn't stay to eat, or drink the wine. The waitress, who had been put in an embarrassing situation handled it with tact and diplomacy.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank saucepanlyd

So sorry you were disappointed with your recent experience at the Green Dragon. The free bubbly is generally just that and it was a total lack of communication that led to the problem you experienced and it should not have happened.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was my first time staying at a pub instead of a regular B&B, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I can now say that the Green Dragon was very comfortable, clean, quiet (for being a pub) and served up one of the most extensive and delicious breakfasts it’s been my pleasure to have for some time. Almost everything is locally sourced.

The rooms overlook the street and while I did hear some sounds from the pub below, it wasn’t obnoxious and ceased about 11. It’s a very old building, so upstairs it had the uneven floors, exposed timbers and non-square angles that I love. The bed had a good quality mattress and the bath was shared, but as I was the only guest (in mid-May) this was certainly not an issue. The shower had lots of water pressure and consistent temperature. The location is perfect for visiting Stonehenge and Avebury, being about midway between the two.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank shiftless
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so lucky to be in a perfect location for exploring all the wonderful sights of Wiltshire. The charms of this 17th century pub outweigh the wonky floors and crooked beams, and I am glad you enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast!

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I have stayed on 2 occasions recently. The rooms are lovely with dressing gown and plenty of towels provided. Home made biscuits in the room were a nice touch. In some rooms there is no en suite but each room has a bathroom for sole use. Breakfast is excellent and overall the Green Dragon provides excellent value for money and good quality accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

I am pleased you enjoyed your stays with us and appreciate the uniqueness of this lovely old pub with character.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed in a room above the pub for one night back in July 2012. We were greeted in the pub by a friendly young girl working behind the bar who called the landlord to show us upstairs. He didn't give us a warm welcome and scorned impolitely at the young girl asking her if we'd signed in or not. He didn't even say hello to us. When we went upstairs, we found that our room did not have an ensuite bathroom. There was a communal bathroom and toilet that had to be reached outside of the bedroom on the corridor. The advert that we saw when booking the room said "private bathroom" which was a little misleading. However, we were lucky that there were not many rooms occupied when we stayed, so there were no awkward encounters on the landing in my dressing down in the middle of the night. Sleeping was a little uncomfortable as the age of the building means that the floors are not level and my bed was leaning to one side. The bathroom and toilet appeared to be clean but I was always aware that i could not take a long relaxing bath in case another guest was waiting, and on the other hand, it could not be guaranteed when the bath was last cleaned if another guest had used it before me. Nevertheless, I took a soak in the bath, but had to leave quickly, running back to my room in my dressing gown due to a massive spider appearing on my towel. On a high note,breakfast was a treat after a rather bizarre stay. Needless to say, I will not be going back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

We are sorry you were disappointed by your stay last Summer. The bathroom is private as stated and only for the guest who is booked into that room or if you travel with friends, with them. However due to the age of the building we cannot help the odd spider and wonky floors!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Market Lavington
Travelodge Devizes Hotel
Littleton Lodge
Littleton Lodge
#1 of 1 in Littleton Panell

Been to The Green Dragon? Share your experiences!