Fox & Hounds Inn
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Yorebridge House(Bainbridge)
  • Restaurant
The Blue Lion(East Witton)
  • Breakfast included
Stone House Hotel(Hawes)
View Hotel
All reviewsbeautiful villagevillage pubpub foodyorkshire dalesextensive menugenerous portionslovely pubopen firefish and chipsnight breakcomfortable bedsstayed here for nightsone night staylandlordwensleydale
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in a Cottage in West Burton and had an evening meal at the pub on three occasions. The food was good on all occasions and there was plenty. The service was good and the waitresses ver friendly. We had a drink in the pub most days and it is a nice friendly place to haves drink. I would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Took a detour to enjoy our evening meal at the Fox & Hounds. We were on our way back to South Yorkshire from Keswick. We were not disappointed by the chicken & leek pie and the warm feeling in the pub. The bar staff are exceptionally friendly. We have stayed in the past & thoroughly enjoyed it. We will be returning for another stay later this year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I had wonderful lesson how a real Yorkshire pudding should be made. Excellent and warm, deeply hidden north hospitality on a place that must be one of the most beautiful situated pubs in England. Warmly recommened. I only sticked for a lunch there, did not stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I have often visited West Burton a lovely quiet place, and felt that staying there would make a good base for regular walking trips. I read the Website description of the Fox and Hounds, with its description of the Courtyard as giving really quiet repose. so we booked in , and confirmed that the price of B and B was extremely reasonable, as was the menu for a reserved place in the restaurant. The parking was free outside on the village green, and also in the Courtyard
BUT...
When we sat down to dinner at about 6.45, the only customers in the room, we were disturbed by the sound of Radio 2. I've nothing against Paul O'Grady, but talk radio during a romantic meal...no! Not only that but against the radio stood a notice saying " the background music is to ensure the confidentiality of guests' conversations, so please don't turn it off." I asked the waitress to turn it off, and she said other guests might object. I doubted that, but when two other people came in I asked their view. "No, thanks, we want peace and quiet." In the morning at breakfast Radio 2 and its chatter was on again, and I thought that "rap" music was inappropriate for an audience whose average age was over 65.

Got to bed, and was awoken at 3.20 a.m. by the continued sound of what I think was the freezer, or maybe air conditioning humming across the courtyard. Hardly any more sleep, not helped by the thin curtains, which let in the bright light from a light in the Courtyard.

Finally, heavy footsteps on the wooden floor of the bedroom above ours didn't help either.
so. sort out the radio noise, the humming, the curtains and the wooden floor and we would love to stay again. The evening meal was very good , and the service was too, .
We know it is a pub and don't expect the Savoy, but it could have been so much better. anyway we shall find a nice B and b for our proposed regular roosting place.

Anyone else troubled by background noise in public places should have a look at the "PIpedown" website for recommendations of really quiet places free from unwanted background "entertainment.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Derry J
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Didnt stay here but had lunch. Very friendly staff good beer. The food was Ok. A problem with one of the meals was resolved quickly. Nice spot for a drink in an outstanding location. Would probably go somewhere else to eat but would come here again for a drink.

• Stayed: July 2013