Thornton Lodge
US$190
Travelocity
US$91
Agoda.com
The Blue Lion(East Witton)
US$166
Premier Inn Catterick Garrison Hotel(Catterick)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
US$222
US$117
TripAdvisor
Golden Lion Hotel(Horton-in-Ribblesdale)
All reviewsb bbiscuitssecond to nonefour posterattention to detaila real treatlarge roombeautiful placeplaces to visitlovely furnitureselection of cerealsfull englishmarmaladeegyptian cotton towelsnothing is too much troublethoroughly enjoyed our stayenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Wonderful location, excellant accomodation, fantastic room, fab breakfasts, will recommend this hotel. The welcome we received from Vanessa was very warm and friendly, we had a great time. Thank you Vanessa!

Room Tip: Room 9 Great views and very sunny
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I've visited many times and this remains a true gem in Wensleydale.

Location, rooms, food, warmth of welcome all VERY hard to beat but what makes this so special is Vanessa who always goes out of her way to make guests feel welcome and goes that extra mile - this time, I had some problems with the car and had to drive to Harrogate to get sorted leaving my 84 year old mother in the house - Vanessa went that extra mile by making Mum a sandwich at lunch time. Similarly I had arranged for something to be posted during my visit and Vanessa went out of her way to ensure I got it at that right time

There is no where else in the Dales to stay

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is my fourth review of Thornton Lodge. I am submitting this contibution as a direct result of reading the two poor reviews.

I have no connections with either Vanessa or the premises. My first visit was together with my wife during May 2010. Since that visit we have always returned to Thornton Lodge.

I travel extensively not only for pleasure but also with regard to my employment. Please look at my 34 contributions, the lowest score awarded has never been below 3.

I fail to understand how the two recent reviewers provide scores of 2 and 3, when until May 2013 a consistently high score appeared. The supporting comments fail to qualify such a poor ratings.

However, on a lighter note my wife and myself have just returned from a four night stay with Vanessa who remains a terrific host. The weather was the best we have encountered in the Dales. Room 4 was spotless. The breakfast was spot on. No complaints what so ever. Once again a big thank you to Vanessa.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DiggoryLondon
Reviewed 10 June 2013

we spent two nights here on a glorious sunny weekend. it is a lovely old house , with period furniture in keeping with the place. our room(rom 5) was amazing, two huge windows with lovely views and a massive 4 poster bed , with a nice en suite. Vanessa was friendly and helpful with advice for local places to visit and to eat , and very knowledgeable about the history of the house, which was interesting . Everything was spotless , the breakfasts were very good, we had no complaints at all. there plenty of baby rabbits around the grounds and the resident peacock was lovely to see .
we would highly recommend Thornton Lodge and would definitely stay again in the future

Room Tip: we were in a corner room(room 5) that was a large room with lovely views over the countryside
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolnpaul
Reviewed 30 May 2013

First impressions were good, lovely grounds, good views, peaceful, good location. Thought what a good find. However, my opinions soon took a dive. I had booked a particular room but on arrival Vanessa told me that I had been allocated another room because it was more convenient for her; I had chosen the room for a reason and my requirements were not considered but I did not wish to complain so accepted the alternative. Later, I mentioned that the room was very cold (the radiator was barely warm) and was told that a heater would be put in to "stop any whingeing". Dinner on the first night was quite good - nice local beef but followed by shop-bought cheesecake. Weak, instant coffee after dinner. Dinner on the second night was very poor, more like convenience food. Vanessa appears very friendly but I have to say I became very wary and uncomfortable staying there. Positive note - very clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Sandra T
vkyorkshire, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Hello Sandra,
thank you for your review.
It is interesting to see that whilst your sister posted a review on 8th May, yours only appeared after positive reviews were posted from people staying at the same time. When I responded to your review you took the unusual step of setting up a second trip advisor account in order to post a reply - it would appear that you like to have the last word, but as you were in breach of the rules the second review was removed by tripadvisor. Weighing up your unusual behaviour and despite being upset with your family for the defamatory comments posted by Jenny regarding crumble and serving prior days food I feel it prudent to not leave a public reply to your review. For anyone reading this I would very much urge you to read the many positive reviews posted by people who have stayed with me and also to read the review this lady has posted on another nice place she stayed at.