“Million dollar views”

Ranked #5 of 5 Manapouri B&B and Inns
Perth WA
“Million dollar views”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

As a solo travelling backpacker, sometimes I liked to upgrade a little to enjoy some creature comforts without going overboard. The budget rooms they had on offer
for $90 per night suited me perfectly - the decor in these is older but the room was
clean, it came with everything you would get in a newer room, you just have to be
less fussy about the age of things. This place was about a 10 minute walk from town,
no hills to contend with, and you have easy access to the lakefront which is across
the road and down a small hill out of view from the main road heading out of town.
Service great, the budget accommodation also has access to a small lounge room, and a kitchen if you want to cook your own food (tea/coffee making facilities in the room itself). I was very happy with this room but the thing i absolute LOVED about this accommdation was the utterly spectacular views! Waking up in the morning and pulling the curtain across so i could stare at the beautiful mountains of The Fiordland National Park was really special - seriously, a neighbour and I agreed, that at $90 per night
we had a bargain!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellingAnge
Shanil, General Manager at Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
Thank you for the great review. This hotel built in the early 70's was built specifically for each room to have a view. For all the customers that lament the fact that the building is retro, I would just like to say we have no plans for demolishing them. We are however constantly trying to make improvements to the rooms with what we can. We always appreciate feed back.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We left too late booking for 30th Dec when we toured around NZ in 3 people. This motel was the only one with rooms available. So we booked it: 150$ for queen room for 3 people. Room was on the small side, but had kettle, tea/coffee making facilities and fridge. Bathroom was also small, but clean and with hot showers. We found food very good in the bar and the unobstructed views of the lake absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank izakrak
Singapore
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We had mixed feelings about this motel. On the one hand it is in a gorgeous setting so if you have a room on the front strip you get uninterrupted views of the lake. On the other hand, the room quality for the price we paid was poor value. We stayed in many motels over our 3 week holiday in the South Island and this one was expensive relative to the room quality. We stayed in 1 renovated room and 1 older room. Both rooms had the same bedding and beds. The beds were so soft, all the adults suffered from backache. The shower in the older room is a soft drizzle. The carpets in the older room were very worn but both rooms were relatively clean.

We reserved two rooms using their online booking service. When I booked, there was no cancellation policy on the website and I assumed it was the standard 48 hours most motels use. I was surprised when I received my Visa bill to discover that the full cost of the rooms ($600 for 2 nights in 2 rooms) had been charged several months before I even arrived in NZ. I called them up and they told me this was their policy because the owner disliked last minute cancellations. However, they would refund the payment if I cancelled within 48 hours. I was told that an email invoice should have been sent to me. I soon discovered that those emails landed up in my junk folder. I don't mind being charged up front for something as long as that policy is clearly communicated. There was nothing on their website to indicate I was going to be charged. The person I spoke to from the motel on the phone said she would check the website. If I could have found suitable alternative accommodation in Te Anau I probably would have cancelled just for being charged without being told in advance. However, I could not find a suitable alternative so we stuck with our reservation.

I would like to add that my children enjoyed playing with the 2 alpacas in their garden and the front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. For internet users, wifi was a rather expensive $5 for 30 minutes but there is nothing else for miles around.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank livinginsingapore
Shanil, General Manager at Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Thank you for your review. As always it is good to to get guest feedback be it in person at Check Out where we can resolve any issues or after their visit posted anonymously on the internet.

I have been unaware that guests have suffered backache from our beds, I guess that this is a personal thing as most of our guests have commented on the comfort of the beds.

When you book on line with us under the "Terms & conditions "you will be notified that it is our policy to take pre-payment for the full stay. We also have the cancellation policy that advises that if you cancel before 24 hours you will get a full refund and if it is within 24 hours 50% of the first nights accommodation will be deducted. When people book online it is the norm to expect that full payment will be taken then and there. I have traveled extensively overseas and this has always been the case. I can assure you that had you booked in Te Anau as you mentioned that you should have the policy would be the same.

We here at the Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn thank you for taking time on your family holiday to bring your issues to our attention. Hopefully your experience here was not all that bad and that the remainder of you vacation in New Zealand went smoothly.

Kind regards
Inger Nicholson
MANAGER
Albuquerque
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Accomodating to our change of plans without a fuss. Also to supplying a portable heater. Room was adequate. Minimum services in Monapouri. Te Anau 12 miles away.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BJ-HJ
Shanil, Manager at Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn, responded to this review, 14 December 2010
Thank you for the comments. For those of you travelling if you are looking for a place to stay that is in a small town & not commercialised then Manapouri is perfect choice and we cater for these discerning guests. I notice that a few reviews lament the lack of services. I suggest that guests who find it an inconvenience not to have 24 hour shops nearby choose The tourist Town of Te Anau to stay in.
I wonder at the comments on room type as I have mentioned in earlier responses we are a 3 star Hotel privately owned that is undergoing constant renovation. I hope we have made it clear that we aim to cater for mid range - budget travelers who want enjoy the beauty of what Manapouri has to offer. There are however up market B&B's nearby with the same views that will charge triple of what we charge for a nights accommodation. The choice is yours.
Inger Nicholson
Manager
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We were there for 2 nights. Can't remember which room we had but it had a kitchen. Very small and tired looking room. The lake is beautiful though. Food at the pub was ok, you don't have much choice though as it was the only place opened, unless you want to drive 20km to Te Anau at night to find food. Probably won't stay there again unless I go to do Doubtful sound. We didn't have time to do Doubtful sound this time, only did Milford Sound. Should have stayed in Te Anau.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Uyenneth
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2010

This hotel is in a gorgeous setting, overlooking the lake. There are a range of room types. I opted for the Superior room. It was extremely simple, with the worst shower I have ever used. Dinner in the hotel pub was pretty bad, and a bit expensive. Breakfast was dreadful. Nevertheless, this simple hotel is well situated for taking the Doubtless Sound tours. Just don't have high expectations.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank drmgeorge
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 January 2010

After my husband kept passing through manapouri and staying at this motel he always said how beautiful it is there, so these holidays we went for a look. Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn is a good, clean motel very nicely located on the lake right next to the bar and restaurant and a very quick 12minute drive to Te Anau. Although the motel is slightly older it is 3 star and you get everything you would expect for that. Would love to stay here again a beautiful spot.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ronni1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manapouri
Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park
Lakefront Lodge
Lakefront Lodge
#4 of 23 in Te Anau
Te Anau Top 10 Holiday Park

Been to Manapouri Lakeview Motor Inn? Share your experiences!