“Excellent value”
Review of The Fountain Inn

The Fountain Inn
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here on a Saturday night for b and b as we were in the area for a wedding. Lovely friendly welcome, free upgrade to a four poster room. Spotless. Comfortable bed and we both had a brilliant nights sleep which is not usually the case when not at home. Very tasty full english breakfast with good quality ingredients. We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
landlordrennee, Owner at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your comments Helen glad you enjoyed your stay and all that went with it ,and it was good to read you enjoyed you upgrade and we do hope to see you again,and hope one of the four poster rooms are available for you again ,Regards David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Worst Christmas dinner I have ever had!
Made slightly worse by the fact that the land lord who was trying his best to get drunk , would not even entertain any complaints! Of which there was many! Needless to say none of my family will ever visit the crappy place again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DavidAlanParr
landlordrennee, Owner at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
DEAR SIR, I am somewhat amazed at your comments,you wait until the 19th of June to write a report on a meal in December 2013.more amazing is the fact that we do not have your name down on on booking forms for last Christmas,which was fortunately full and not one complaint, in fact we had several customers coming out of their way to thank us and the bar staff had record tips,as far as myself being drunk ,I did not have a drink until Idris Jones a customer bought me a cognac. ,I was in fact sat with my 84 year old mother .Perhaps you were in another place ,,If you would like to email me on wineaboutwine@hotmail.co.uk you could perhaps explain why no one who was booked in waits 6 months to put on a comment, awaiting your reply,David Dobson .fountain inn on the 19/06/2014

Travellers are raving about these Ingbirchworth hotels

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here Saturday night on a booze and snooze night room was fine no problems went for our evening meal which is promoted on wall as a 3 course meal I asked if I could choose anything on menu the answer yes anything at all I chose steak but 5 minutes later you can have steak but it's £5.45 more the food was nice but we didn't get a dessert we weren't even asked if we like one we weren't offered our free bottle of wine so we had to ask for it oops we forgot, the toilets in the main bar had no loo roll oh dear. Breakfast was fine I realised we would have to pay more as my partner had a full english breakfast but was a little surprise that our bill £15.00 more than the price promoted on the bar wall. I don't think well be going again any time soon

Room Tip: When you phone to book check whats included
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tubber007
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

During a morning at work and a 4 hour drive , my trepidation at the adventure of my first solo stay in a B and B was held at bay, by the prospect of the "warm, personal touch and good food" promised by the Fountain Inn. Upon arrival I was shown to a pleasant room with a 4 poster bed. Unfortunately the whereabouts of the door key was unknown and an anxious hour followed -the person who showed me to the room did not return , a second member of staff told me that the B and B was full so there were no other rooms available. Whilst waiting I found that the television did not work. I explained that i intended to leave and then another room was organized for me for which I was grateful especially as the television worked in this room!In the restaurant I was left waiting for such a long time that i abandoned the idea of an evening meal.The room was clean, comfortable and quiet and I had a good nights sleep. In the morning I went down for breakfast at 7.00am - as discussed at the time of booking when I was told that breakfast started then. Not so! The table were laid for breakfast but the lights were off. Beer glasses etc were still on the tables in the bar from the night before. There was no one about.
At 7.25 am I knocked on the kitchen door and indeed a "Full English" was then cooked for me. Had I known that I would be charged £7.50 for this then I would not have waited , A deal of £40.00 for an over night stay was offered to me by the manager when I rang to inquire about bed and breakfast accommodation. At no point did he say that this price excluded breakfast.
All in all my visit to the Fountain Inn was disappointing and I would not return

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shirl23190832
landlordrennee, Owner at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Shirl23190832,Thank you for your comments,from Friday,and i am sorry your FIRST stay away was not what you expected, as you say one of our female members of staff took you to your room,the only room we had left ,as you said,,,,the normal cost on this room is £70.00 AS IT IS ONE OF OUR FOUR POSTER ROOMS, You explained at tine of booking that you were on an interview in Barnsley the following day and only had a budget of £40.00 so we agreed to the £40.00 to help you out. you informed a member of staff that there was no key in the room ,and you did not feel safe in the room although the door does lock from the inside,so we made arrangements for the man who was to go into room 10 another four poster to change,, you then said you did not want room ten as there was a stag night on that floor,this was in fact not a stag night ,but the bride groom,his father in law and his best man who happened to be my son,staying here that night to dress and leave here the following day for his wedding,, so i would like to think all we had done to try and accommodate you on the accommodation side, i have spoken to the staff re your wait for food and they explained to you they were menus on the table and you then ordered at the bar the staff then told me they looked at the table some time latter and you had gone,.with regards to price i was the one to take your booking and i informed you i would do you the deal at £40.00 including continental breakfast,,may be with this being your first stay away and you did appear a little nervous about the following day this added to the unusual surroundings. I do hope you got the job in Barsley and your second stay away is a little strssfree regards David
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

food went cold quick. plates cold, slow service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .good parking, lots of spaces, nice views and walks around.

Room Tip: didnt stop in hotel, used the resturant
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

An excellent pint of their "own brew " and more customers than you would perhaps expect to find early on a midweek evening bode very well, how wrong !
After more than an hour and a gentle hint the starter arrived, then maybe half hour later the main course came,it really wasnt worth the wait for such a bland tastless and decidedly average meal, the vegeables were fresh ! ( from the freezer via the microwave and a packet sauce on the chicken ) My companions enjoyed their store bought , again fresh from the freezer , desserts.
Lots of appologies for the wait, you gets what you pays for, but sorry wont be going again .
No hot water in the gents. toilet , hand dryer not working, just a wet towel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank polmecs
landlordrennee, Owner at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Sir, having read your review i am a little perplexed as i have checked your order and it was out from the kitchen 35 minutes after the order was placed, and as you rightly stated we were full to capacity,and as all our food is freshly cooked i don't think 35min is unreasonable for a table that had not booked,and to the second point regarding the food a,the vegetables were as you say fresh but not out of a freezer then were blanched that afternoon and finished in boiling water before serving , b ,the the sauce for the chicken is made individually as the chicken is cooking we add the mushrooms then the garlic then then fresh cream and finish with a dash of cognac this is one of our most popular dishes,,,that's what my chefs do ,not by packet sauces,perhaps the next time you are passing please call in and watch the chefs at work and then maybe rescind your comments on frozen food,ps the white chocolate ice cream does come from the freezer,,,David please feel free to call me on 01226 763125
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

On Saturday night we enjoyed a superb meal at the Fountain. It was all beautifully presented and tasted wonderful! I can recommend the delicious lamb cutlets and the sweets were to die for!
You haven't lived till you've tried the ferrero chocolate cheesecake and the white chocolate ice-cream! Full marks to the lovely chef Alison. The atmosphere and decor is great. A really pretty place. All the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us. It was great to meet and chat to the very friendly David Dobson who has a winning personality and makes everyone feel very welcome. Congratulations to him on running such a fine ship! A great place to eat and spend an evening.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
landlordrennee, Owner at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Emma thank you for your comments ,I am pleased to know you enjoyed the evening,it as taken time to shake off the bad reputation of the previous people,but with time and effort from my staff we are getting there,I try and work on the philosophy that good food ,good company and good entertainment makes for a good night ,and i am pleased that's what you experienced on Saturday evening ,many thanks again David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingbirchworth
Bagden Hall Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dodworth
The Woodman Inn
The Woodman Inn
#2 of 25 in Huddersfield

Been to The Fountain Inn? Share your experiences!