The Crown Country Inn
US$166
US$106
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel(Ludlow)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$160
US$155
US$60
Travelodge
The Castle Hotel(Bishops Castle)
US$172
The Longmynd(Church Stretton)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsblack puddingmaster chefrichard janebelly porkfront of houserisottosuperb foodcooked to perfectionthe pubsteak nightsea basselectric showertravelzoo offercodroaring firefeel very welcomeevening meal
Reviewed 16 March 2012

What a fantastic night out this turned out to be! My wife had told me about this place on several occasions, and her great reviews had always left my mouth watering, so we decided to go ahead and book up for my birthday. WOW! What a night! To start with, Jane and her team were fantastic hosts and made us both feel very welcome. The restaurant itself was cosy, warm and romantic, a perfect setting for an intimate night out! The food, once again, WOW! Generous portions of perfectly cooked food, I chose the duck for my main and it was the best I have ever tasted, while my wife who is a vegetarian, had the potato and mushroom crostini, which looked and tasted excellent! Then came the deserts! What a selection! Due to the generous portions, my wife could not manage a sweet, but I was determined to try it all! In the end I chose the "ultimate indulgence", which was a medley of deserts on one plate, which includes an espresso, a great finish to a great meal! Many thanks to Richard and the other kitchen team who gave me such a memorable birthday, and we are looking forward to going back on my wife's birthday very soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Always worth the drive out from Bridgnorth to enjoy a meal at The Crown. Jane and her team are always very welcoming and knowledgable about the changing menu and specials that Richard (a Masterchef) and his team are creating in the kitchen. Ate there Saturday night and there wasn't a spare table either downstairs or in the upstairs restaurant either. All 4 or us polished off our meals. There were amuse-bouche on the table as we sat down which is a lovely touch. Excellent starter of fried gurnard with mushy peas and potato straws was a great twist on classic fish and chips! For mains you are spoilt for choice too be it venison, rib eye, belly pork or duck. I went for the Duck (roast breast and confit leg served with potato cake and braised red cabbage.....) which was quite stunning. Oodles of extra veg was provided too. After some irrestible deserts home made shortbread and fudge peices turned up with the coffee. Good sensibly priced wine list and two well kept ales on hand pull too, but it's the food you come for really.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2012

A phone call at fairly short notice and they squeezed us in for a table for two which was kind. Lovely warm welcome, relaxed atmosphere. Ate in the upstairs dining room that had a lovely roaring fire, great atmosphere and lovely individual tables giving it a homely feel. There are some steep steps up to this part of the inn, so if visiting with family/friends who have problems walking then request a table downstairs. The table setting was lovely, the pre-dinner nibbles (free) yummy. The food was excellent, portion of the main course, possibly for some might be verging a tiny bit on the small size, but the quality and flavours were superb - the portions were probably fine, I probably just would have liked more! Coming from the Home Counties, I thought the prices were very reasonable considering the quality. This was fine dining in a rural setting. Many congratulations.
Note: Did not stay here, but Trip Advisor will not let me deselect the sleep quality option!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We first stayed at the Crown in September 2010, after accidentally coming across it on the web.

We were booked into la Becasse, for dinner on the Saturday night, but dined at the Crown on the Friday. A superb, relaxed and delicious meal, with service and hospitality to match.

The rooms are clean and nicely decorated, and breakfast will certainly set you up for the day.

We've been back since, and have enjoyed yet another pleasurable dining experience. To be honest, given the choice of fine dining at La Becasse, or diner at the Crown I think I know which I'd prefer.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We recently held our wedding reception at the Crown, which was a three course meal for 35 followed by coffee and petite-fours. All three courses were excellent and all our guests commented on the quality of the food. We had the pub to ourselves and the lovely restaurant was just the right size for our party.
The staff could not of been more helpful, particularly the owner Jane who was great in helping us plan the meal and the reception itself . She was also great on the day ensuring everything ran smoothly and nothing was too much trouble for her.
If you are looking for a small relaxed wedding reception we would definately reccomend the Crown.

Room Tip: didn't stay
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family