“Good, but could be great with a little more attention to detail”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Naguabo
Casa Libre Puerto Rico
Ranked #4 of 4 Naguabo B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good, but could be great with a little more attention to detail”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

It's obvious that a lot of work has gone into this property - Dawn and Josue are doing the best they can to manage Casa Libre as well as their hostel up the road.

We stayed for three nights in November 2013 and were the only guests at that time. We originally booked the Purple Room but due to faulty A/C were placed in one of the lower level rooms. No big deal, but I soon found out that the wi-fi didn't have the strength to reach the lower level bedroom we stayed in. Not a huge deal, but the room didn't have TV either so options were limited what to do in the evening.

The room itself was in great condition. Good bed comfort, fridge, strong A/C. My only complaint here was that we had to empty our own trash and ask for toilet paper during our stay. Yes, for $100 a night, it's a great value, but I still felt that with no other guests, these simple things should have been done.

Breakfast was always excellent and Dawn took care to make sure there was something for both of us too eat that we liked. Also, great recommendations on things to do in the area and the owners are hooked up to nearby tour guides if you need anything arranged.

The area is a great home base for the eastern part of the island and there are a few quality restaurants nearby in walking distance.

My biggest complaint was that the photos advertised on the website don't currently reflect the actual condition of some areas of the property. This applies mostly to the outdoor tables, chairs, pool, etc. Perhaps more care is taken during high season but I felt a bit cheated when I compared the photos to what was available to us.

This is a good choice in the area and I do recommend it. With that said, I think there is potential for this place to be improved a bit.

Room Tip: Purple room if you can get it. Room on bottom left of hotel doesn't receive wi-fi signal.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bayarealutz

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
jacksonville, nc
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The owner of one of the restaurants nearby had recommended this place to us while we were having dinner at his place. We decided to give it try along with some friends, 3 families total, over the 4th of July weekend. First, we got an amazing deal on the rooms, too good to be true. So much so, that I made a point to stop by before booking just to be sure I was not getting tricked.
The rooms were amazing, better than most regular hotels in the area. There are only 4 rooms available, although the proprietor, Patty, told us about her plans to make more space. Two of the rooms have enough space for 4 adults.
She was truly and genuinely hospitable. She went out of her way just to make us feel at home.
The location is close to perfect, great view of the bay, not in the middle of the bay (where it can get noise) but close enough to walk there without breaking a sweat. There are some really great restaurants nearby but the nightlife is lacking somewhat.

Josue, Patty's friend, owns a hostel up the street. Great accommodations for a hostel and good rates.

I will be going back as often as possible!

Room Tip: for couples, the upstairs room is by far the best! the biggest room is the bottom right, closest to...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucas R
Baltimore
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Can't really explain why I didn't love the place. I kind of felt like I was in a regular bedroom in someone's house. The view is nice and the pool was wonderful on such a hot day. Breakfast was decent. Hosts friendly enough. They have worked really hard to make their business succeed.

Room Tip: Purple room did have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelerdebBaltimore
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed one night as we were traveling from Vieques to Rincon via the 'Ruta Panoramica'. Patty gave us a lovely warm welcome and we were made to feel like one of the family. We stayed in an upstairs room, overlooking the pretty swimming pool which provided us with a fantastic view of the bay and an unforgettable sunset. Breakfast the next morning was delicious, home cooked and the portions substantial in size. There are a couple of good restaurants within short walking distance.
What we most remember about our stay was Patty's really warm personality and genuine hospitality, her excellent breakfast and that the location is the real Puerto Rico, far removed from the sanitized tourist areas further north.

Room Tip: upstairs for the view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My mother and I visited PR in March 2013. That has been our first and, perhaps, last time. After reading wonderful reviews about Casa Libre, our choice fell there, naturally. Unfortunately, Pattie was visiting her son in CA then and that was really, really bad. Josue was nice but didn't do much at all. His wife didn't give a thought at all. Breakfasts were horrific: once she gave a sausage by itself literally so I had to go and ask for bread... We went two days without cleaning the bathroom so slept in the particualr smell. And many and many other things. I have read in the reviews how careful and informative the hosts are - not in our case. They knew we were going to go to Culebra and didn't tell us that tickets are better to be bought in advance. As a result, we had a wasted day and one more frustration.
At first, I thought to let it go and my 70 y.o. mom asked so, too, but then I decided to write what happened to at least make other people make sure that Pattie IS going to be there during thier visit otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank yakargin
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I were just passing by Naguabo and stopped to get a bite to eat by the bay, we saw their sign and decided to call and check it out.., to my surprise the rooms were nicer than a comfort inn and suites hotel room, and also less expensive... We decided to stay... Ended staying 3 night in a row... Very convenient, and close to Fajardo, Humacao and Luquillo... The owner Josue and his wife Dawn, treated us like family, great hospitality, private pool, great breakfast and very clean facilities.. Thanks guys!!! See you next year!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I met the owner at a camp out on the West Coast of the US. He told me about his place and a few months later, there I was, soaking up the sun and dining on the beach in Naguabo. I loved it. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. I was made to feel very comfortable. The pool is lovely and the hotel has a great view of the little beach and the rain forested hills nearby. The owner was able to pick me and show me around the island a bit. The food was fantastic. There was a huge selection of books, games and videos, but all I had time for was enjoying the scenery and chatting with the owners. I can't wait to go back to see Josue and his family and stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naguabo
The Fajardo Inn
El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm
El Escondido Guest House
El Escondido Guest House
#1 of 2 in Canovanas

Been to Casa Libre Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!