“Breathtaking!”

Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Naguabo B&B and Inns
“Breathtaking!”
Reviewed 6 March 2006

Casa Cubuy is a beautiful, well-appointed lodge in an absolutely breathtaking location. Our room on the second floor was comfortable, tastefully decorated, and spotless. We had no trouble with the water supply, and the room did not lack necessities like toilet paper and soap and even shampoo. We actually came overprepared because of other reviews that lead us to believe we'd be roughing it! Contrarily, this was the most lovely lodging we stayed in throughout our PR vacation, all in the same price range.

I can't even describe the location. You have to see the beauty to believe it. No words can do it justice.

As for the food issue: breakfast is great and satisfying. The communal dinner is pricey but allows you to get to know the other guests and share travel stories and advice. The chef will prepare vegetarian options upon request.

It's true that if there are not enough guests signed up the chef doesn't come to prepare dinner. The roads are tricky so it's easier to stay around the site than to go in search of a restaurant. The honor bar has some microwave dinners and snacks. It's nothing gourmet, but look where you are! Just get something in your belly and relax.

I highly recommend Casa Cubuy. If you're on the fence, just go ahead and make a reservation. I can assure you that you won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 16 February 2006

My husband and I stayed in P.R. for 10 days. We spent several days at the Ritz in San Juan, one night at a terrible B&B in the rainforest. We decided we couldn't stay there another night and had remembered that the concierge at the Ritz had recommended the Casa Cubuy Ecolodge. We were lucky enough to find it and spend our last two days at Casa Cubuy. The beautiful location, charming inn, and warm and welcoming hosts left us with such wonderful memories of P.R.

The Casa Cubuy is located deep in the rainforest, literally at the "end of the road". The road that cuts through the El Yunque National Park had been washed out dividing the park in two; the touristy side where the tour buses take people to for the day from the big San Juan hotels, and the other side that is beautiful, quiet, and surrounded by nothing but nature. Casa Cubuy is located at the end of the road where the washout occured leaving this wonderful lodge with a national park located in its back yard. We walked around the trails, and swam in the pools, for two days and never saw another person, it was wonderful!

Casa Cubuy is nestled in a peaceful, beautiful, relaxing setting surrounded by rainforest, waterfalls, and wonderful hiking trails. The lodge is comfortable, clean, with nice bathrooms, plenty of hot water. It is colorful, cheerful, and surrounded by original artwork that is not overwhelming or detracting from its surroundings. The porches are wonderful places to sit and relax and take in all the surrounding sounds of nature and beautiful veiws. There are no TVs, telephones, etc. So bring a good book, a camera, and leave all of the stress that these electronics bring behind. The breakfast was the best meal I had in my stay in P.R. There is an honor bar and some snack food but no restaurant on site. I understand that if there are enough guests who are interested in dinner they will have someone come prepare it. And, I talked to some other guests who told me that there are some placed not too far down the hill where you can have someone prepare a mean for you, and I was told the food was wonderful. Ask the owners where to go, unfortunately it was not an experience we got to enjoy.

You should know up front that the eco-lodge is not the Ritz, so if you are looking for the usual ammenities that come with luxury hotels, wait staff under foot, expensive restaurants, night life, crowds, noise, and chaos, the Ritz is the perfect place. But, if you are looking for nature, and warm and welcoming hosts with a story to share, and friendly guests then Casa Cubuy is a bit of heaven.

The road up to the lodge is an adventure of its own! While you are in P.R. make sure to go on one of the bioluminescent kayak tours. There are some great restaurants in the town where the tours take off. Make sure you read the book that the guests that have come before have written in, there are great suggestions in there.

This really is a very special place and I was very sorry that we did not have longer to stay. If we had started at the Casa Cubuy we probably would never have left for the Ritz. Unfortunately our trip started in San Juan and we didn't have enough time in this amazing place. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2006

This was one of the most incredible locations to which we have ever traveled. While driving up the narrow and winding road to Casa Cubuy the views told us we were in for something special. We were able to instantly relax upon arrival at the lodge. After a warm welcome and dropping our bags in our room we headed out for a hike down the “switchback” path to the river below. This is a must see for all visitors. After returning from our hike we settled into the hammocks just outside our room, had a few Medella’s, read a book and more or less kicked back for a few hours. It was as relaxed as I can remember being in quite some time. On day 2 of our visit, after a wonderful breakfast, we setout on a hike up the road from the lodge. We went for miles and we were treated many spectacular views and a refreshing swim in a pool below a large waterfall. If you go deep into the forest make sure you wear long pants. Some of the forest plants will give you a pretty itchy rash. The good news is the rash went away within hours.

I would recommend this location to anyone who wants to relax without the distractions and trappings of modern life. This is not the Hilton, but you will find the rooms and facilities to be in line with your expectations if you read the information available at the Casa Cubuy website. That website provides an honest description of the lodge. It was PERFECT for us.

My only word of warning to potential visitors is be prepared for the frogs at night. You never see them but you sure do hear them. Our room was on the first floor and we had no problem with the “din” they created the first night. However, our second night at the lodge, one of those little noise machines took-up residence just outside our room and proceeded to serenade us most of the night. I even got out of bed to hunt him down (unsuccessfully) and my wife tried to plug her ears with tissue. My advice to you is to reserve your room early and get one of the upper rooms (better views too) or bring some earplugs just in case.

Thanks to Casa Cubuy for a wonderful and relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New England
Reviewed 12 February 2006

We found this through a friend. If you like comfort with no frills this is the place. Each room has access to the outdoors with a beautiful view of the rain forest. The rooms were clean with nice bathrooms and plenty of hot water. No Tv ( excellent!), no phones in the room. Very quiet with a great breakfast ( tropical fruit always included) and dinner if you ordered it that day was inexpensive, delicious and abundant. Fun hiking right from the lodge and waterfalls and rivers right there. If you want to access the northern part of El Yunque you have to drive around, about 45 minutes or so. That is where the established hiking trails and visitor center can be found.
We would be happy to go back there again and will try their Eco Lodge in Vieques on our next trip.

6 Thank guilford104
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 22 January 2006

My husband, daughter and I just returned from a PR vacation, which included two nights at Casa Cubuy. First - it is truly beautiful. The setting is idyllic. We hiked the trails and swam in the pools. The coquis and the waterfalls sang us to sleep each night.

Breakfast the first morning was plentiful and delicious. The second morning it was scant. The coffee ran out early and was not refilled. The three of us left the table hungry.

One should know that it is an interesting drive (about 45 minutes to an hour down a potholed, narrow road with sharp curves) to the entrance of the Caribbean National Forest from Casa Cubuy. The Casa Cubuy lodge is in the forest, but the National Forest Visitor Center, etc. are not easily accessed from there. I did not understand that when booking Casa Cubuy and was under the impression that they were next to each other. In truth, the El Yunque forest area is much larger than I had realized and does require significant time to get around.

Casa Cubuy was beautiful but not a bargain.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank mimi1125427
Reviewed 10 January 2006

My husband and I stayed at Casa Cubuy for three nights and it was way too short. Falling asleept to the sound of the coquis and waking up to the sounds of the rushing river and tropical birds was magical. Casa Cubuy is a special place for people seeking an alternative to a typical Caribbean holiday. We had delcious, home-cooked Puerto Rican soul-food cooked by the amazing staff at Casa Cubuy, hiked the trails that led out from the lodge, and had a wonderful time meeting other people staying at the lodge. The lodge itself is very simple with a focus on the amazing location. Our room had a wall of sliding doors that opened onto a view of the rainforest, with the rushing river below. The lodge is very clean and well-maintained. We will definitely be returning to this magical place.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Olean NY
Reviewed 1 January 2006

I stayed at the Casa Cubuy February 2005 as part of my Puerto Rico vacation. This lodge has a great location. The Casa Cubuy Ecolodge is a wonderful spot for nature lovers as it has great hiking and fresh water swimming near by. This is a great alterative to the traditional Caribbean vacation. I really enjoyed my stay here. The breakfast was excellent featuring fresh fruits. Get the dinner at least once as the food is good and you can meet some interesting people at the dinner table.

However I have a warning for people who are looking for the traditional tourist thing here, you will not find it. The place intentionally tries to leaving a small foot print. Meaning low water pressure and few of the traditional wasteful amenities you would find at a 4 star. Making you way up the mountain to the location will be a small adventure for persons form flat low places (but totally worth it). Visit the website before booking.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank bunnycookie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naguabo
The Fajardo Inn
Hacienda Moyano
#1 of 4 in Naguabo
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Casa Cubuy Ecolodge? Share your experiences!