“Very disappointing”

Globe Inn
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A beautiful historic canalside pub with log fires, real ales, wines and soft drinks. Fresh Coffee and food served daily. Reservations available in the dining room
Luton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This has been a favourite place for us for some years. Such a shame that we found that The Globe had changed hands and wasn't up to the same very good standard of good food and service as before. Admittedly we chose a less expensive 'set menu' but that's no reason to serve up dried up mashed potato (possibly Smash), which was replaced by new potatoes that were only ok. I asked for lasagne which was about 3 inches square, I kid you not!! My husband ordered a side of veg for nearly £3 which were very uninspiring. I will say the chips were nice and couldn't fault the Bramley apple pie and custard but the rest was mediocre bordering awful! Sausages not as good as Tescos. Waitress very keen to please but when asked about the food she didn't know anything. Also there was a whole list of items on the main menu unavailable and on a Friday evening that seems unacceptable. I do hope things improve, such a shame.

4 Thank Sandra S
Richard W, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
I'm sorry to read that you did not have a great time. Improvements are currently being made taking on feedback such as yours and I thank you for your review.

I'm sutre that next time you visit you will find things much more to your liking.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Not so happy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Visited this pub for the last time recently. Drinks were served by a sullen barmaid who displayed her ignorance by grabbing my money without a word of thanks and then came outside to "tidy tables" by kicking the chairs into place, removing empty glasses and stomping off with a glare all round. The tables were left unwiped and obviously had not been cleaned for ages. The whole place feels unclean, the toilets were so bad that my wife refused to use them. Apparently one of the cubicle doors had a panel smashed in, rendering the loo unusable and everything was filthy. A visit by a public health inspector would not be amiss.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank HappyDoug
Please be assured that since your visit improvements have been made including the recruitment, training and coaching of team members.

I'm glad that you took the time to tell us about your experience and I hope that you visit the Globe again.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“1st visit to this Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was our first visit to the Inn and it will be our last. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and this was our first meal out for ages. The staff were polite but everything seemed to take ages to arrive at the table, our olives and starter was fine, the major problem arose when the waitress put my main dish ok in front of me, she turned and said to my husband that there was a problem with his Ploughmans in that we have a new Chef and she hasn't done any pork pies, but she is cooking some chippolata sausages for you. 15mins later the Ploughman's appeared, there were 4 cocktail sausages, a piece of thick cut ham, 2 tiny pots of relish, 2 small celery stick, 2 thin slices of cheese, 2 slices of bread and a whole apple. We were told that £2 would be deducted from our bill. Needless to say we were very disappointed, when asked if everything was ok, we said no, my husband then went on to say he was a chef and could think of at least 25 different ways to present an Apple and that if he had wanted a whole Apple he would have gone to a supermarket. We said we were disappointed and that we should have been given the option to change the order when they realised the problem. The waitress was embarrassed and agreed it was not satisfactory, she did say she would mention it to her manager when he came back on shift and she would also remove the 2 main dishes from our bill. We will not be back.

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank Amanda F
I'm very sorry to hear about your expereince, thank you for sharing.

I'm very happy to let you know that since your visit some significant changes have been made to improve our guests experiences. Your feedback reagrding the presentation of the apple of the ploughmans will certainly be forwarded to our menu development team for consideration.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Last stop with the Barge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Moored the 65ft barge right outside for the night, had dinner there food was great, service could be improved a little but the staff were very polite!
Shame there was no music on Thursday evening as it was our last night, but we can't have everything!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mike M
Richard W, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Inn, responded to this review, 23 September 2014
It's really pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stop at the barge.

Please be assured that team training is very improtant to us and all of our team here will be getting the support and coaching that they need to do a great job.

Please stop by next time your in the area.
UK
“poor, poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have had the misfortune to visit this pub on several occasions, normally for Sunday lunch with friends. None of these occasions has been the best - even when the restaurant is quiet, it takes an age for the food to arrive.
The last straw was a little while ago when I ordered a ploughmans for lunch. It was not particularly busy but it took 35 minutes for my food to arrive. When I questioned this, I was told it was a new menu and the kitchen staff were still getting to grips with it.
Now I'm no expert, but to take 35 minutes to put together cold ingredients seems excessive.
I ate the meal and went to pay, when I asked was asked if "everything was alright" - when I explained that it was not, the bar lady then began to argue that it was not their fault and no-one else had complained.
Now one thing I know for certain - it was not my fault either. It's not a matter of blame, but good manners to acknowledge a customers complaint, not to try and turn it back on the customer.
I have not, and I will not, ever return to this dire place.
Best bet is to get a nice sandwich and drink from Tesco down the footpath, and sit by the canal and eat in peace.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank gasplug
Richard W, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Inn, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
I'm really sorry to read that you had such a negative experience and that your comments were not dealt with in an approproate manner at the time. Your description of the service certainly is not what we strive to deliver. I'm glad that you took the time to post your review.

Over the coming months we will be making several changes not least of which will include team recruitment and development. I hope that you return to The Globe to experience this for yourself.