Swan Hotel
Priceline
  • Restaurant
US$110
US$73
Premier Inn Milton Keynes South Hotel(Milton Keynes)(Great Value!)
US$81
PremierInn.com
All reviewswetherspoons hotelhigh streetpublic car parkbusy pubcentral locationfamily roombottled waterwould stay againtown centrerooms are smalltea and coffeemember of staffswankettle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Hotel is above the pub. Room are ok but really dusty and without air.
There is big air con in the room which take all space. The terrace was really loud in this summer evening. Can't blame people who want to enjoy a warn evening outside. But for me, I could not sleep before midnight when the terrace has been closed. Breakfast was not great.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I will get the housekeeping team more focused on the dusting during the summer when the windows are all open.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here to attend a wedding in the town. The bride and bridesmaids and several others stayed too.
It is a bit daunting ploughing through the smokers and the drinkers to get to reception but not a problem. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful - although plainly harassed. The double room was very pleasant, clean and well set up. Water, biscuits, tea, coffee and free wifi. Much better than some big four/five star hotel chains I have stayed in. Our only complaint was the heat. The weather was warm but the room was much warmer. The bathroom even more so!
No way of cooling it down. We overlooked the courtyard so when we returned 'late at night it was impossible to open the windows and get to sleep . However no big deal as I was pleasantly happy after a great wedding bash.

Breakfast was an experience. Good value for money food - excellent. Eating alongside some locals enjoying a beer mid morning was interesting. Life is meant to be made up of varied experiences and this certainly covered that.
All in all - good rooms, great staff, excellent food and beer for breakfast.
Shame it was hot and I am past my uni days when such mornings were appreciated

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Michelle N, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We are in the process of getting aircon fitted into our rooms. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

What a combination a Wetherspoon's pub & hotel. Stayed here for 2 nights recently, room was small but fine, all clean & tidy, pleasant receptionist on the 1st floor. Bit noisy if you have a front facing room if they are setting up early on a market day, some rooms overlook the outdoor drinking area which could be an issue for some as drinking seems to go on quite late. Didn't eat here but usual Wetherspoon's menu, good value quality food. Ask @ reception if there are any quieter rooms (helpful handy hint!)

Room Tip: See pointe above re:- room selection
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have just returned from what was a special weekend visiting family in Leighton Buzzard where we thought we were fortunate enough to book rooms in the Swan Hotel. Everything was fine on arrival and we settled into our room which had a view of the market town. The first thing we noticed was the door to the bathroom did not latch so kept coming open all the time, this was annoying as it was used a lot with a family of 4 people. Add to this the lock was so stiff to use I told my daughters not to use it fearing they could not open it once locked. I reported this to the reception and suggested while we were out they send up maintenance to fix it. I then tried to have a shave but the plug did nothing to hold in the water so the sink had to be constantly filled. This in itself I would not consider giving a negative report on Trip Advisor. We enjoyed our evening meal in the Wetherspoons and the food was very good, as we had an early start the next day we decided to have an early night and return back to our room. From 10.00 pm - 2.00 am the loud and abusive language coming from the street below was intolerable causing disturbance to both the children as well as my wife and I. Finally at 2.00 am we get some sleep only to be woken again at 6.00 am to the sound of lorries reversing and metal poles being thrown on the ground as they set up the market. We left the hotel very exhausted from lack of sleep and went to enjoy our day at the zoo.
On our late afternoon return the first thing we discovered was no repairs had been carried out to the room. Again we enjoyed the restaurant before retiring to bed, this was Saturday and was even worse than Friday night. Again it took us hours to get off to sleep, there were security guards outside and things were being thrown around and abusive language was constantly heard by my children. We then had a further problem that our older daughter was allergic to the feather bedding....we went to reception and explained this and were given two small cushions, the staff were very nice and said this is all we have. She actually stayed in the bathroom for some of the night as her asthma and allergies were so severe ): Never experienced this any other hotel we've stayed (we've stayed in many!), as an allergy sufferer myself just been given two cushions won't help, there needs to be a room where there is no feather bedding at all, she is also allergic to dust and the room would benefit from a deeper clean.
Given the amount of noise would have thought it would be better to locate a families room at the back of the hotel? My older daughter suggested double glazing to soundproof the room!
Wouldn't wish to stay there again but would recommend Wetherspoons, the staff were very nice and the food very good too.
I did raise these issues with the manager before leaving who informed me he was not responsible for what went on outside the front door and he was well aware of the noise created in the room as he said they'd had previous complaints about this but they could not fit double glazing as it was a listed building. My reply was, 'So you knowingly sold us a family room that was unsuitable for that use?' his reply was, 'These are the only rooms in the hotel where we can fit two beds.'
So be warned the hotel will knowingly sell you a room you will get no sleep in and have no plans to do anything about it in the future. I would suggest it would be very easy to fit internal secondary glazing which would not be visible from outside of the building therefore not be an issue with a listed building aesthetic view. If you are looking for good food and an all night party with no sleep I give this 5 stars, as it is, I will give it 2.

Room Tip: stay at the back of the hotel and don't ask for a family room. We stayed in room 101, do not book this room!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peruviansecrets

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, we have worked on the problems and do hope you will give us another try.
We are and have been for the last 2 years liasing with the council with regards to the noise at market set up but unfortunately cannot do anything about the noise on a Friday/ Saturday night from the high street.
If you decide to give us another chance please ask for family room 115 or 216 when booking.
I am able to offer you a discounted stay, please contact the hotel either by telephone or email and I will arrange this for you

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I had the dirtiest room I can remember anywhere. I gave Wetherspoons one week to respond to my feedback to Customer Services before writing this review and except for an automated acknowledgement I have heard not one word from them. Here follows my feedback:

“I am very very disappointed having used two other Wetherspoon establishments in Malvern and in Lymington and having found them to be excellent that the Swan in Leighton Buzzard has let you and me and my wife down very badly. The edges of the carpet in our room 112 against the skirting were thick with dirt and dust. The whole carpet in fact needed a good vacuuming, but at the edges there was dirt that had accumulated over a very long period of time. You could scrape it up. The cleaner obviously has never bothered to attach a hose and nozzle and clean against the skirting, and the Manager obviously has never bothered to do room inspections. Apalling! If that was not bad enough the plug-hole in the bath was not only filthy but was filled with previous occupants' hair. Then at breakfast this morning the cutlery was filthy. There were many good points about our stay of course - the room was comfortable and the food and drinks we had were fine. We had an excellent night's sleep and the staff were polite enough, although the girl on Reception didn't look up when we passed through this morning for breakfast whereas a smile and a 'good morning' should be automatic. I have pictures taken with my smart phone of the carpet dirt, the plug-hole and the cutlery which I would have emailed to you if this form I am using had enabled it. If you send me an email address that I can use to send them to you I will send copies to you as attachments - otherwise you will soon be able to see them on my TripAdvisor review.”

As I say, I had no response.I have attached some photos.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple