“Delightful Impromptu Lunch Stop”

The Old Lifeboat House
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Coverack
Price range: £5 - £30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: A converted Lifeboat station with a fantastic view over the bay. At the front: Fish and Chip Take Away. To take home, eat on our outdoor benches or on the sun trapped harbour walls. To the rear: Informal, home cooked food Cafe/Restaurant/Bar serving breakfasts, lunch, cream teas and evening meals and a Bar serving a wide selection of Cornish Gins, Rums, Craft ales and Ciders. Open 6 days a week from Easter. Happy Hour 3pm until 6pm. Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free Friendly. Dogs Welcome
Reviewed 17 February 2024

Walking the Lizard coast on a rare sunny winter's day we abandoned our cheese rolls and decided to stop for fish and chips. These days my body reacts to gluten and I was delighted to find that they had this covered. We had a lovely friendly reception, given great quality food, GF batter prepared on the spot, beautifully crispy and light, chips perfect, tartare sauce homemade and superbly balanced. The thoughtfulness of the staff was so refreshing: the owner stopped me from putting malt vinegar on the food and offered white wine vinegar instead.
We were given a little buzzer to tell us when the takeaway was ready, so we sunned ourselves in the little harbour while we waited. When I picked up the order I was given a little fish crate to carry it out. These little touches don't cost anything but they make the whole experience pleasurable. There are lessons to be learned here for others looking to offer food in Cornwall, as anyone with time to look through this website will know.
I am used to putting up with second class GF alternatives but at the Lifeboat House I hit the jackpot. We don't live that far away and I will definitely be back - as the proprietor said, there is no need to prepare different food for people when it doesn't need to have gluten in the recipe. And by looking at other reports I can see that a trip down to Coverack harbour for a meal will be worthwhile.
Full marks guys and thank you very much: it made our day.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank Alan G

Reviewed 31 December 2023

Absolutely beautiful food and wonderful service kids fish and chips excellent portion. Amazing view for family and friends, definitely coming here again and I will try as much as I can to get the recipe for the curry sauce

Date of visit: December 2023
1  Thank George H
Reviewed 30 December 2023 via mobile

Stumbled upon this hidden gem on a birthday outing, and couldn’t have been happier! Lovely lunch, great service, superb location, would recommend!

Date of visit: December 2023
1  Thank louisgeorge22
Reviewed 24 October 2023

Excellent !! Called in without having booked and made very welcome (with the dog). Very friendly staff and not a long wait for food.Not a huge menu but the fish pie was great and the gammon was tasty.

Date of visit: October 2023
1  Thank Kaye D
Reviewed 13 October 2023 via mobile

We stopped at Coverack for a walk around, and we were pleasantly surprised to see this venue open, particularly as it was almost 5 pm and I had assumed it would be closed. Initially I had planned to just have a drink, but we were given such a warm welcome and the menu looked delicious, so we opted for food as well. We weren’t disappointed, it was delicious. We both chose the gammon dish, my partner was ever so pleased as the dish came with egg and pineapple! Often he is asked to choose one or the other in other venues. The creme brûlée was the best I’ve ever had and was presented beautifully.

The food was delicious, the staff were warm and friendly, the view was amazing and the dogs were made welcome too! Just perfect!

An unexpected bonus was that we happened to be in time for happy hour for drinks! 🍸 we couldn’t ask for more. ❤️

Date of visit: October 2023